The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 12, 2013, 05:35 PM   #26
Auto426

Quote:
No, but I'm pretty sure I remember one stamped Singer Sewing Machine Co. and I know I have carried one made by Mattel.
That photo has been floating around the Internet for a while, and it's been proven fake before.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:21 PM   #27
CTS

Yea, I get a little dyslexic sometimes. I was typing in a hurry and got it backwards, fixed it, thanks. Mattel actually made a toy gun that looked just like an M16 and I have heard they made grips for a while with their logo on them, may be what I remembered seeing.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:22 PM   #28
jad0110

As others have said, if you want one close to what your friend's father carried, the Colt SP1 would be the easiest way to go. Then again, he might be able to save some money by building a clone, though it might take time given the current climate. If neither of you have built an AR, Brownells has a nice video series clearly showing just about every step, and the requisite tools.

There are a lot of different variations to the M16 series during that time period. When did your friend's father serve? What branch of the armed forces? If he decides to go the build route, you might as well dial in on what he most likely carried. For example, the Army for the most part used the XM16E1 early on through about '67, which was super ceded in increasing numbers by the M16A1 from there on. On the other hand, the Air Force and I believe the Navy and Marine Corps typically used the M16 (no forward assist or brass deflector, IIRC). And there are slight variations for each of these 3 main versions, particularly in the XM16E1. It just scratches the surface, and forgive me, my memory is playing tricks with me at the moment.

I built mine to represent a very early XM16E1, which shared some components with the early M16 such as the 3 prong flash suppressor and dimpled receiver parts (but it had the forward assist). So in effect, the XM16E1 was a transitional model.

In the end, it was great fun studying the different versions and tracking down all the parts. I cheated a little and went with matching NoDak Spud upper and lower receivers. The dimpled controls come from heat-n-beat. Other parts that I bought new I ended up treating with petroleum jelly to turn them from black to gray (the trigger and charging handle come to mind. It's not exact, as the barrel is a 1x9 twist from Del-Ton, and the bore is not hard chromed. But it looks good and I have fun with it, and that's what counts.

Last edited by jad0110; February 12, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:22 PM   #29
doofus47

I went with a CavArms A2 lower and a vietnam surplus no-bump A1 upper with FA. Looks like it was rubbed down with a cheese grater, but works fine.

I traded an old rifle for a bunch of Colt-made upper internals and a 20" chrome-lined surplus barrel.
I put a modern bird cage flash hider on it initially b/c that's what I had at the time, but I liked it, so I'm leaving it on.
The barrel is 1/12" so I'm locked into 55 gr ammo.
I don't know if they still have them, but Numrich had some grey 20 rnd aluminum magazines that made the look complete.

Great rifle. Easy to shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120820-00200.jpg (238.1 KB, 29 views)
Old February 13, 2013, 12:13 AM   #30
sprouticus

The Sportsman’s Warehouse has these M16 parts kits.

It looks like they are still in stock.

I’m not sure if this would be a good deal or not, as I’m not really an AR guy.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1143546
Old February 13, 2013, 09:10 PM   #31
WillyKern69

Thanks again, I like that this simply question has garnered so much response.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:27 PM   #32
CTS

Quote:
I’m not sure if this would be a good deal or not, as I’m not really an AR guy.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...aspx?a=1143546
If they do have those in stock that is a bargain. All you need is a barrel and a stripped lower. You can't even buy an upper receiver and a bolt carrier group for that kind of money these last months.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:47 AM   #33
Willie Lowman

Mattel M16? Nice photoshop job.

Cool story bro.

Tags
m16 , vietnam