The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Winchester_73

The best way to clean up the place is with a broomhandle

In January I caught wind of this iconic semi auto pistol and later in Jan I bought it. Its a broomhandle aka Mauser C96, and this one is a "red 9" referring to the cal being 9mm luger. The background I read in one of my books about the red 9 was that in WWI Imperial Germany had a shortage of lugers. Also, there was the thought that the facilities at Mauser were under utilized. To supplement the lugers, Mauser was commissioned to make their famous broomhandle in 9mm luger.

The seller thought it was a 9mm commercial, despite also being a red 9 which didn't make any sense. I assumed that he missed the Imperial army acceptance on the right side of the chamber, which he must have. When he told me the SN was 38XXX, it matched the red 9 SN range of 1 to approx 150XXX. The gun is all matching on the outside, and the previous owner, who I've known through a friend for years, took the gun apart for me and it matched internally as well. The grips also match. Overall, a nice example.

Here is the Imperial Army acceptance

and the coolest thing about a broomhandle? It can become an EVIL assault carbine!

Last edited by Winchester_73; February 16, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Venom1956

DIBS!

That thing is beautiful! I'm glad you got one!

Now where can you get ammo to shoot it? I'm guessing older 9mm was a bit more mild compared to nowadays?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.

Last edited by Venom1956; February 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Winchester_73

You can have first dibs on it, but for right now, I have no thoughts on selling it.

I too think its beautiful. It has that worn honest look to it.

For shooting it I would probably just use winchester white box ammo. The German ammo back then was actually fairly potent which sometimes causes problems in some of these older semi autos today, when they are used with lower powered 9mm rounds.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Fishbed77

That is so cool.

Han Solo would be proud!
Old February 19, 2013, 03:43 PM   #5
micromontenegro

Winchester, that is exactly the gun I am hunting for right now... that and a K32. Congratulations! A very nice one indeed.