The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2013, 10:20 PM   #1
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Interchanging uppers on a Ruger 22 45

Has anyone a set up which includes changing out the uppers on one Ruger 22 45 grip frame?

For example: having a dedicated scoped upper and a shorter barreled upper with iron sights and change them out from time to time? Or multiple barrel lengths... or different optics... or...

I am curious if the zero holds well, I know in theory, but am wondering about in the real world.

I could have two or more pistols to accomplish this, already do - check, but am really curious how well swapping uppers would work out.

And just to add to the insanity, the uppers are the serial numbered part...

Anybody, "been there - done that?"

Now, go figure...
Old February 15, 2013, 10:38 AM   #2
g.willikers

Since the upper on this model is considered the gun, with the serial number, it wouldn't be any more hassle or expense to just buy complete guns, like you say.
So what is the motivation?
Old February 15, 2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Pilot

I guess if you had multiple MK II's and 22/45's like many here, you might want to switch uppers. I've always wanted to throw my 4 inch, bull barrel 22/45 barrel (MK II era) on one of my steel, MK II frames as this version of the MK II is hard to come by. Just haven't tried it yet.

Hmmmm.......
Old February 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #4
AZAK

Quote:
So what is the motivation?
Many, many, reasons. One can buy additional uppers (tactical solutions, Volquartsen, etc...) in various configurations. Or even with Ruger originals have multiple barrel lengths, barrel styles (tapered, bull barrel, fluted, slab sided, threaded, w and w/o "things" on the threads, with sights, without sights/railed, with an array of different optics choices...

Why not switch them out like with an AR? And like with an AR, what if you want to shoot .22lr for cheap practice? (Now that part is stretching it just a wee bit!) But seriously, I am curious, why not? And why not more folks doing it? Is it physically impractical?

Is it that when changing out a MK III it requires finding the moon's current location whilst twisting one hand behind one's back with the magazine inserted pointing at said moon sneezing twice pulling the trigger between the sneezes really really after the first sneeze is completed but before the second has commenced because if the thingamajigitt is not aligned with Uranus* you did remember to take the magazine out right after starting the second sneeze right you might need to take the whole pile to a gunsmith in a paperbag or send it back to the Mothership/Ruger for reprogramming...? And let's not forget the mallet... need to beat on it just right... just enough to get the job done... but not enough to scar the pistol or your hand for life...

(It really is not all that bad, after one gets the hang of it... really...)

Is that why?

Or perhaps the cost of another grip frame (good luck finding a used Ruger specimen!)
https://www.volquartsen.com/products...c-target-frame

*I meant the planet, geez. Or perhaps as a Kurt Vonnegut drawing...

Now, go figure...
Old February 15, 2013, 02:14 PM   #5
TunnelRat

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'd rather buy another Ruger 22/45 than have to constantly be disassembling the thing.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:28 PM   #6
BrokenBottles

I'm not trying to be a prick so I apologize if I come across that way.
What is the "upper" when reffering to handguns? The slide, barrel, guide rod and spring?

From what I'm assuming an "upper"is in this case^^^^
I think it would be cheaper and probably easier to just buy a second gun and keep it as a dedicated long range shooter and one for each purpose.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Andrewh

a buddy has a mark 3 and I have a 22/45 mark 2.

I could not get his upper to work on my frame at all.

and then because it was a mark 3 instead of the mark 2, it took another 30 min to put his back together.

got mine back in about 5.

I have seen used "uppers" go for around 150 to 200 without the bolt, and could see the advantage over spending 300 to 500 on a whole new gun, but after that experience, I decided probably not a good idea.
Old February 16, 2013, 01:43 PM   #8
AZAK

Quote:
What is the "upper" when reffering to handguns?
Well, kind of like thinking about an AR-15 upper. At least some folks term them so:
"LLV Competition Pistol Upper"
https://www.volquartsen.com/products...n-pistol-upper

Quote:
I could not get his upper to work on my frame at all.
Which is interesting. I have not yet personally tried making a MK II 1/2, but have the pieces to do so, now I just need to take the time and try it out.

What appears strange is that aftermarket builders don't seem to have a problem making them compatible; don't know if Ruger made them different or not...

"Easily Fits all RugerĀ® MK Series and 22/45 Semi Automatic Pistols with no gunsmithing required."
http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/ta...series-pistols

So, has anyone successfully created a MK II 1/2? Or would it be MK II.5? MK2.5? Or even MK2 1/2? Or MK21/2? Or MKII1/2?

And it would even get more convoluted with the 22/45 variant... MKII1/222/45...

Now, go figure...
Old February 16, 2013, 03:34 PM   #9
tahunua001

it would make no point. the upper is the serialized firearm portion, quite opposite from most handgun designs. as the uppers are the FFL item it would make no sense to go through the trouble of buying full guns and swapping them between a single frame.

such a setup make sense for other guns where the FFL item is the frame but in this particular instance I don't see any sense whatsoever.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old February 16, 2013, 04:50 PM   #10
AZAK

Quote:
but in this particular instance I don't see any sense whatsoever.
Say, for instance, that one prefers the 22/45 MKII grip frame over the 22/45 MKIII grip frame. (The MKII is much closer to a 1911 in shape and size compared to the MKIII; especially the older/original couple year run/pre-replaceable panels.) And has a number of other 22/45 MKIII pistols with differing barrel set ups. And a number of other MK pistols again with differing barrel configurations.

Or say that one would like to put a "hunting set up/longer barrel with optics" on a grip frame, while still having the ability to quickly change to a shorter barrel with iron sights.

Or say that one has $$$$ tied up in a grip frame (Volquartsen... see above link about cost of said frame, not to mention all of the other parts that are needed to make said frame function... again $$$$ if using high quality aftermarket parts) and doesn't want to duplicate the frame and double that cost.

Lots of examples, I am personally surprised that this, so far, has not been done; Lot of AR folks change out their uppers from time to time for various reasons...

Now, go figure...