The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Uncle Malice

I finally found a Gen4 Glock 20! (plouffdaddy will be glad)

...now I can stop bugging him to sell me his!

The story is a little unbelievable as to how I got the gun, too... but let me give a little back story. It's long, but I think it's interesting! Hopefully, some of you will agree!

I've been wanting the G20 Gen4 since I first saw it back around August or September. I think it was actually plouffdaddy's review when I first saw it. The Gen4 G21 has become my favorite Glock ever over the past year or so, and I really like the 10mm. I tried to find friends that could get it for me through blue label programs or GSSF... with no luck. Then I heard that it would be released after SHOT Show 2013, so I figured I could contain myself a little longer. As soon as SHOT Show got started, I was on the hunt again, but the gun was nowhere to be found. I got put on the wait list/notification list at Glockmeister, added it to my wish list at Bud's, and found a couple of other places. Any place I could find to be notified when they became available... but nothing was coming. I knew everything was pretty scarce now because of the "incident"... but it was still frustrating. I had several sources tell me that they were expecting to take delivery of the Gen4 G20's in April... after I heard that from several sources, I resolved myself to the fact that it would be several more months.

Fastforward to the past week, and I've been getting back into M&P's a little bit. I recently got the M&P Shield and I've been so impressed with it, I was looking to get a full-size again. I was actually trying to get the Pro series to get the night sights - the trigger is better, but I'd probably replace it with a full APEX kit anyways. I've had them before and liked them. I sold my old M&P because I was impatient and wanted something else a while back. So... I've been looking locally and online for the M&P Pro in 9mm. Couldn't find it anywhere.

This is where it gets interesting....

I should note here, that I'm not a religious man. I believe in a universal consciousness that we all share to a degree, but I don't buy into the idea of the Christian 'God'. I think it's probably the same thing, just being called by a different name. I simply don't follow organized religion, but I would consider myself a spiritual person.

I'm on my way home from work yesterday, on my motorcycle. I have about a 35 mile commute, and a good portion of that takes the 101 highway in the North Phoenix Valley. While I'm on my way home, something in my head very clearly said to me... GO TO SPORTSMAN'S WAREHOUSE... I brushed it off as a fleeting thought. I very rarely go to Sportsman's. They rarely have what I'm actually looking for, and with so much panic buying going on, most places are largely cleared out.

I keep riding, and again... I get this overwhelming rush of.. GO TO SPORTSMAN'S WAREHOUSE!! I consider it... as I'm nearing the area where I would need to turn off of the highway. I tell myself, "nah... I'm already in the HOV lane, I'm just going to go home. I'll check online later or something." As I come around a curve, in an area where you can get off of the highway onto the I-17... things usually get pretty congested as people try to get off. Luckily, the HOV lane doesn't back up much... most days anyways. As I come around the curve, I see that the HOV lane is actually backing up and slowing down, while the right side lanes are opening up. The exit to go to Sportsman's Warehouse is right after the exit for I-17. So I figure, OKAY FINE. YOU'VE CONVINCED ME. I'LL CHECK IT OUT! I'll run in, confirm that it's not there... and head home. Maybe I'll lose 10 min. No biggie.

I walk into Sportsman's and head for the gun counter in the back. Their counter has peg board on the back wall and most of their pistols hang on the wall for display, only keeping some nicer 1911's in the smallish class counter cabinets. As I'm approaching the counter, I can see that the wall is mostly bare. There are some revolvers on the right side... a few .22 pistols in the middle and some poly guns on the left, but I could tell there was no M&P... big surprise, right? I walk all the way up to the counter and scan through everything just to see what they actually had. Their wall is labeled weird. They don't use model names. The signs say things "HK 9mm", "HK 45ACP", "Beretta 9mm", etc. I'm scanning around and I see the sign says "GLOCK 10MM"... I'm looking at the wall, and it's clearly a gen4 full size frame... but the gun is on the wall, pointing to the right... so no markings on the slide. I just KNOW that that's just a Gen4 Glock 21 that they put in the wrong place, so I figured I would let them know... The guy at the counter was with another customer(an older couple), so I stood there and waited... and waited.... and waited.... I was about to leave. It really wasn't that big of a deal that the gun was in the wrong place, I'm just anal about that stuff. Another guy walked up next to me and was looking at the guns... He stood there patiently and I could tell he was looking in the general direction of the Glock. I figured, I should at least verify before I walk out. The counter guy finally finishes with the couple, and goes to the guy next to me.... thankfully, he was a stand-up dude and says "nah, he was here first." I ask the guy, "Is that really a Gen4 Glock 20 you have on that 10MM hook?"

*looks back* ...yeah?

Whaaat??......can I see it??

He hands it to me, and sure enough... I turn it over and see that beautiful

"20Gen4 AUSTRIA 10mm"

"WHEN DID YOU GET THESE?" I asked.

"They came in last night. Went out on the floor this morning. We've sold one already, so this is the last one."

"Let's do the paperwork...." I replied, without even looking at the price. I didn't care. I was literally in shock. As he walked away, I asked "Oh, what is the price on it, by the way?" and it was exactly what it should have been at $599. Did the paperwork and got out the door for around $660 after tax.

I don't know how to explain what happened. It was rather profound to me. Maybe you'll blow it off, or I'm sure many of you will not even read this full story.... but I wanted to share.

Of course, here are a couple of pics. Just crappy ones so far... but it's good enough.

Old February 16, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2
TxFlyFish

very nice find! some of the best finds are at sporting goods stores because nobody ever bothers to check them and those that do, usually don't know what they're looking for except for the countless bersas and taurus on display.

btw if you don't mind me asking what is the test date on the case envelope?
Old February 16, 2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Uncle Malice

Yeah. I was really shocked to see it there. Especially since places like Glockmeister and Bud's couldn't even get them yet.

Quote:
01-29-13 - brand, spanking new.
Old February 16, 2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Stringfellow

Fun read. Thanks for sharing.

I trust that you will honor our social contract and post some pics...
Old February 16, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

Quote:
I trust that you will honor our social contract and post some pics...
There are 4 pics in my post.... can you not see them?
Old February 16, 2013, 01:01 PM   #6
TxFlyFish

Quote:
Yeah. I was really shocked to see it there. Especially since places like Glockmeister and Bud's couldn't even get them yet.

Quote:
01-29-13 - brand, spanking new.
woa thats FAST in 2 weeks already on the shelves