The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 16, 2013, 12:23 PM   #26
jmr40

Any gun made in smaller quantaties will maintain it's value more than one made by the millions. Ruger 22/77's are a very small part of Ruger's manufacturing. It is no surprise that they would hold their value more than a centerfire version when many more of the centerfires were made. The more rare the chambering, the more they hold their value. A used 6mm should sell for much more than a 30-06. But the 10-22 is always going to be less expensive than either.

You get the same thing when you look at Marlin. The 39's typically sell for a lot more than a common 336. But model 60's are dirt cheap on the used market.
Old February 16, 2013, 12:48 PM   #27
Guv

But can you compare a 60 Marlin to a 39?
Old February 22, 2013, 09:01 PM   #28
candr44

By the original posters thinking my pellet gun should be worth even more than a .22. I can't get ammo for my .22 but I can still get ammo for my pellet gun and its cheaper too.

When ever I'm at a gun show or shop looking at guns, I always tell the owner they should sell this gun cheap since I can't get ammo for it anymore. For some reason they never take me seriously.

Last edited by candr44; February 22, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:31 PM   #29
Strafer Gott

I'm sitting on 50K airsoft rounds, and I don't even feel like I'm hoarding.
I think 6mm .20 gram is the new .22. From what he kids tell me, .22 long rifle are fetching 10.95 USD. I think I'm going to shoot .22 more deliberately, and savor the plinks.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:36 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
My point isn't about the cost to make the gun. It is about market conditions. For the average new shooter it comes down to can they afford and/or find ammo. It is the cost of ammo that will dictate the price of the guns in the future, not the cost to manufacture them. I hope I am wrong.
You aren't wrong, but you aren't entirely right. The current shortage of .22s is just that, a current shortage, caused by panic buying, primarily. The .22LR is not only the cheapest round to make, it is made in the largest quantities. ITs not going away. What we have now is just a "bubble" condition, and it will bust. The only question is how long it will last.

Back in the 1970s, US shooters were going through a billion (that's right, Billion with a "B") .22LR rounds per year. This current shortage will end, I have faith in that.

Now, where you are right is about the cost of the ammo affecting the cost of the guns. But it doesn't apply to our .22s, because ammo is being made, and will be made. Even if it is not as cheap as it used to be, its still going to be much cheaper than centerfire rounds.

One place where the cost/availability of the ammo really affected the value of the guns is the 5mm Rem Mag. Remember that one? Hot number, for a little while, then faded. Rem quit making ammo (and nobody else took over), and today the guns are virtually worthless because of the shortage of ammo.

Collectors will still pay a little for the rifles, but a single box of the ammo brings more than 3 or 4 of the rifles do!

I wonder if the various .17 rimfires are going to go the same way, eventually...
Old February 25, 2013, 03:43 PM   #31
Magnum Wheel Man

^^^ this is why I like reloadable cartridges better, & on my rimfires, I buy & maintain several bricks on hand at all times, & never shoot down to my last... I shoot more 17 Mach 2 than most of my other rimfires, & that one could easily slip under the bus... even though I love it
Old February 25, 2013, 08:50 PM   #32
lefteye

Southwest1 - With nearly 60 years of experience shooting rimfires, centerfires, and shotguns, and about 40 years of experience reloading for centerfires and shotguns, I find your speculation to be very doubtful - at least in the absence of catastrophies engulfing the entire developed world. I do own and shoot .22 rimfire handguns and rifles, but have a substantial collection of other firearms and I don't expect that shooting them will ever cost less than my rimfires.
Old February 25, 2013, 09:42 PM   #33
Rembrandt

Quote:
Rimfire guns will one day become more expensive than centerfire guns.
Anyone who thinks rim fire guns are inexpensive hasn't bought a Winchester 52 Sporter or a Cooper recently. Ruger 10/22's are the only gun I can think of where you start out spending $200 then end up with $1500 in accessories to make it shoot well.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:15 PM   #34
L_Killkenny

Quote:
Ruger 10/22's are the only gun I can think of where you start out spending $200 then end up with $1500 in accessories to make it shoot well.
One of the internet's biggest myths. A stock 10/22 is a fine gun in it's own right but it is what it is. It's not a target gun from the factory. Being it doesn't take no additional $1300 to get them to shoot with any gun costing more. Sometimes much more. I have one 10/22 that will shoot MOA @ 50 yards (farthest I've shot it on paper). Total of $140 in accuracy improvements on that one. Another 10/22 I've been dickin with lately shot these groups, 10 shots each, 25 yards, el'cheapo Federal 550 bulk:

5/8" groups usually ain't much to brag about but neither was my shooting this weekend and WE ARE talkin 10 shot strings with plinkin ammo. One of these days I'll break out the good stuff and ring it out. Only mod is a $40 VQ hammer.

Last edited by L_Killkenny; February 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old February 25, 2013, 10:15 PM   #35
lefteye

The OP's point was that the future price of .22 rimfire ammo was going to make it more expensive to shoot a .22 than a centerfire. IMHO that it very unlikely. There are, of course, many .22 rimfire rifles far more expensive than typical factory centerfire rifles.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:28 AM   #36
Justice06RR

Market price does not dictate the Actual price of an item. Even if we are talking about Market price, that is only a relative value and not a true cost of a firearm. Market value is what people will pay/sell an item due to the current conditions, and it always fluctuates unlike the actual price.

For an apples-to-apples comparison, take a Colt6920 (5.56) and a Smith&Wesson M&P15-22 (22lr). The Colt's normal price is about $1100, the M&P is about $450. Currently, Both have ammo that is almost impossible to find locally.

There is no way that the market price of a base M&P15-22 will surpass the Colt6920 based on ammo prices alone.

Would a piece of coal be worth more than an emerald jewel? Maybe in a million years, but thats not really an ideal situation either.