The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2013, 11:51 AM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. I used to participate in bulk purchases of swaged 185 gr. LSWC's for gallery match loads. No problems with them. I recall the reduced Law enforcement level loadings of the 41 Magnum used swaged bullets loaded to around 1000 fps (4" revolver), so the pressure there was probably under 20,000 psi, like a .45 Auto.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; February 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:03 PM   #27
snuffy

YES

Quote:
Would 45 acp have a low enough pressure to fire pure lead without problems? I couldn't imagine doing so in 9mm.
Back about 30 years ago I shot some combat type of shooting at an indoor range with my 45. The ammo I was loading was zero bullets that were 200 grain swaged lead. Back then, zero only made pure lead swaged bullets. They had a funky dry wax coating that worked for about 200 rounds, starting with a clean barrel. After 200, the barrel would start building leading.

I once took a bunch of those swaged lead bullets, spread them on a newspaper, sprayed them with pure silicone. They were so slippery, I could barely pick them up. BUT they stopped leading!

A cast lead pure boolit, should be lubed with a good quality boolit lube. Then, if they fit your bore, you should be able to shoot quite a few before leading begins.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?