The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
UniversalFrost

Glock 21 Serial number research... help needed

Ok, I just picked up a police trade in glock 21 2nd gen with a serial of YA8XX and the US prefix at the very end...

is in great shape other than i think they never cleaned it and came with bright TRU DOT night sights and what feels like a 3.5lb trigger. I have owned several other glocks with the factory HEAVY triggers and this one feels nice and light which is a good thing since i had planned on ordering a new connector and trigger spring to bring it to the 3.5lb mark and this just saved me $20...

anyway was never really interestd in glock history since they are "tupperware" pistols, but my interest in this pistol was raised when my dealer went to enter the gun into his system yesterday (he uses an online automated inventory sytem for book keeping and it checks against several databases) ... anyway he kept getting an invalid serial back from the system on this gun (all numbers match including the barrel serial)... another guy was picking up a gen 2 G19 and that serial came back good... anyway this was a police trade in, so wondering if that had anything to do with not being in the "civilian" system....

any help with a serial background on glocks would be helpful.. I have already been to glocktalk and several other sites on the web with glock serial number info and none have the YA prefix listed (even the glockhaus site with automated lookup)..

worst case is i will give glock a call on monday.

thanks for the help in advance.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 2, 2013, 10:38 AM   #2
SR420

I got nothing... a phone call to Glock is probably the only way to get a correct answer.

Last edited by SR420; February 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:47 PM   #3
DGreno

As stated, you are going to have to call Glock for more info. I have checked as well and can't seem to find any 21's with the YA prefix. The best I can find is that early generation G22's ended at YA. Not sure what came after that.

When you do find info, would you mind posting it here:
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1287557

Its not everyday a strange and unknown serial number pops up for GT.

Edit: Im almost willing to bet that its a special run for a PD or something. You may have a rare mode.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:52 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Glock will let you specify the serial numbers if you place a special order of a sufficient quantity of pistols.

I'm guessing the department who placed the initial order did exactly that and that's why the number doesn't fall into the proper sequence.

A quick internet search of YAPD pulled up this page.

http://www.yapd.org/

Want to bet that at some time in the past the YAPD issue weapon was a Glock 21? It's currently the Glock 22 or 23.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:13 AM   #5
UniversalFrost

thanks for the info.

for what the dealer i got it from told me (he is in Nebraska) it was a local PD trade in (he got several from the department)... they were obtained as NOS from another department and I am thinking John is right that it was the YAPD or similiar as there is a york nebraska as well (i lived in Nebraska for most of my early years)..

i will confirm on monday with glock and post results

Old February 15, 2013, 12:45 AM   #6
UniversalFrost

sorry for late reply...

turned out was a special order for york PD in york nebraska.... hence the unique serial...

they came with factory 5lb triggers , but mine appears to have been modded with at some point by the LEO carrying it to drop it to 3 lbs.

i already upgraded the gun by added grip plug, ghost connector and trigger spring and accumatch SS barrel . have an ghost extended slide stop on order and should be good to go.

great gun and works great as well.

Old February 15, 2013, 01:46 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Hey, thanks for the update!

Very cool. A relative owned a police trade in revolver that had PD markings and I always thought it would have been interesting to have been able to have determined which PD had issued it but was never able to manage it.

So now you have a pistol with a known history.