The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2013, 08:10 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't measure the length before sizing. I'll check another one tonight.

Based in the 18.8gr post-sizing measurement, QuickLoad thinks that 14.6gr AA9 is 122% compressed. With Clark's information that AA9 is essentially uncompressible, I find this load to be a near impossibility.

It seems like I see 110% compression being talked about as a rough estimate of where things start getting dicey with the bullet being pushed back out and even case deformation issues. I can't see 122% of most any powder being practical, say nothing of one that doesn't compress.

Although.... It also thinks the standard 13.0gr charge is 117% compressed. Maybe QL's VWD for AA9 is off.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; February 14, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:38 PM   #27
SL1

Brian,

My copy of QuickLOAD will give me 100% load density with powder charge weight equal to 0.987 x case capacity in grains of water. That seems about normal for an "unsettled" load. I have gone higher than 1.000 with other fine grained ball powders by tapping the case gently to settle the powder, even though QuickLOAD still gives me values below 1.0 for those powders.

But, none of that explains how to get 14.6 grains into a case with less than 14.6 grains of available space. Maybe Speer's cases have more internal volume?

And, calculating pressure is another matter. If the fired case is sorter than the resized case, we need to put the shorter length into QuickLOAD, which will then show a larger powder space for the pressure calculation.

It is a little "apples-to-oranges" to put the FIRED case capacity into QuickLOAD for the purpose of peak pressure calculation, but still have them calculate a loading density, which SHOULD BE based on a SIZED case.

SL1