The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 01:46 PM   #26
AH.74

Quote:
Look at the current list in the handgun forum. Karh CW9 feeding issue is a post.
Yes, posted by someone who admitted that he hadn't read the instructions in the manual, was racking by hand, and had not broken the pistol in per manufacturer recommendation.

Three strikes, yer out.

Read the manual, know that hand-racking doesn't mimic live fire, and break the gun in like they tell you.

Still having problems? Then I'll listen.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:44 PM   #27
wild cat mccane

Three strikes and my PM40 was out

I put my money where my mouth is at 700 dollars in to their premium line of polymer. I wont go the kahr route again after having problems with one.

(I noticed not a single person disagreed that the extended magazine ALWAYS gives people issues).

Glad you like yours.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:02 PM   #28
orionengnr

Quote:
(I noticed not a single person disagreed that the extended magazine ALWAYS gives people issues).
Okay, you asked...
I have had my PM9 since 06 or so. Lots of rounds, carried it every day for 3 1/2 years and shot it at the range regularly (2-4x per month).

No FTF with either the flush mount 6-round or the 7-rounds mags (I have two of each).

I carried it with the 6-rounder, and kept the 7-rounder in my pocket. At the range, I would alternate between the two.

I liked the PM9 so much I bought a P45 and carried it for another year and a half or more.

No frame shaving on either, BTW. And I still have both. If I didn't like 1911s so much, one or other of the Kahrs would still be getting carried every day.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:51 PM   #29
kahrguy

I will disagree about mag trouble too. I have 6 round mags for the cm9. 2 - 7 round mags for the cw9 and 1 8 round 9mm mag that has allways worked in both 9mms and is the backup carry mag. I do not own an extended mag with the finger thingy on it. Only mags for other kahr pistols. It would appear some problems are real I just can't find any to see it happen. Now with a TP40 added to the mix I found even the TP40 mags will feed 9mm ammo great , maybe better in the 9mm pistols . Only problem is it fits very close to being to tight in the 9mm pistols. It is a couple thousands larger ever way over the 9mm mags. SO maybe I am lucky!! Maybe not. I also run all my pistols +1 round. Never had a cartidge nose dive ether. Allways load them from a full mag with a sling shot and top the mag. Never had to tune a kahr mag yet. More than I can say with many " good brand " pistols over the years.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:41 AM   #30
AH.74

Quote:
I must have missed this, if it was mentioned above.

I will agree with this. I bought my PM9 very slightly used, from a member of this forum. It came with the flush 6 and extended 7 round mags. I could not get through a mag using the 7 rounder without a major jam that was a real PITA to clear.

I got rid of that mag and got several 6 rounders. I now have 8 between the PM9 and the new CM9 I got. Not one failure with any of these mags.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:21 PM   #31
saltydog452

Not being a big fan of extended mags for daily carry, I don't/won't use them. Neither do I 'top off' mags.

Our K and P 9s have never stuttered with 115-124 in std magazines. The longer all copper DPX is the only 115-124 exception.

Ours works just dandy as designed.

salty

EDIT:

Murphy isn't a friend of mine, so why leave the door ajar when Murph is lurking in the bushes?

sd.

Last edited by saltydog452; February 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:37 AM   #32
Dashunde

The poly "rails" are just reassembly guides meant to keep the slide on track when you put it back together, they're not precision ground and they dont absorb cycling or slide loads.
Some of the frames pop out of the molds with enough extra guide height/width that it'll drag on the slide a little causing some shaving...its not an issue, but it may be part of why Kahr recommends a 200 round break-in period.

The slide rides on metal and the design is over 10 years old with little or no change... it works fine.

IIRC.. I had a few fuzzy spots on my PM9, I simply shaved the fuzz off lightly with an Exacto.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:58 AM   #33
BigD_in_FL

Bought my CM9 to go along with my 642 for pocket carry. Did the Kahr forum mag prep and haven't had any malfs running mostly handloads and some factory. Use the slide release, etc., like the manual says, and it seems to be working just fine. Still a little "blocky" for pocket printing compared to the rounded surfaces of the 642, but reliable and I have confidence in it for pocket carry.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:07 AM   #34
Fishbed77

I have had no wear whatsoever on the polymer portions of the slide rails of my CM9 after about 2000 rounds. As far as I can tell, the only place the slide contacts the frame is on the metal frame inserts.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:22 PM   #35
saltydog452

Post 33 by Big D

What 'mag prep' are you talking about?

Cleaning out dirt grit and pocket lint, I understand.

The need for "mag prep' kinda scoots over my head though.

A clip on cell 'phone holster makes a dandy magazine carrier for the Kahr.

Thanks,

salty
Old February 11, 2013, 10:51 PM   #36
DATL

I am all about Beretta, and love my 92fs. However, I didn't really take up with the Nano. I own a MK9, and have shot a PM9 some. I tried not to be biased when I handled the CM9 and Nano together. Nevertheless, I liked the feel of the CM9 best. I was interested in the shield, PPS, CM9, or Nano because my MK9 is a heavy little gun. But it's looks sure do complement the 92fs!

In reference to the reliability of the CM9- a friend of mine got his PM9 shortly after I got my MK9. We have done a good bit of shooting together since 2007 or so, and neither of us have had any problems. For a while I used the slide catch to chamber the first round of the clip because it was very tight. I have met a few different PM9/CM9 owners at ranges here in GA and they haven't said anything bad.

There use to be a youtube video of some asian kid talking about how his PM9 or CW9 frame would start cracking or something. I couldn't find it recently. I wonder if that's where all the talk came from. I told my buddy with the PM9 about it years ago, and he was like "oh well... we'll see". Well, we haven't seen anything yet....
Old February 12, 2013, 05:55 AM   #37
JimmyR

I got a used CM9 in a trade, and have had no issues with either the 6rd or 7 rd mag. It's one of my main CC pieces. I've probablyonly put a few hundred rounds though it, with the previous owner putting his fair share in as well.