The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
grubbylabs

Had someone ask me for Primers yesterday

It took all I had not to laugh at him. And the only reason why I did not was because he is somewhat of a friend.

Like most of you all the shelve around me are empty and I only have about 1500 large pistol primmers. The real depressing thing is that I just got about 2,000 pieces of once fired 45 brass from a LE practice range, all Federal brass. That means I am at least 500 short on primmers

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old February 11, 2013, 12:22 PM   #2
woody wood

ya, tell me about it,did some reloading this weekend and my shelves are getting low also.have a fare amount of brass left.was looking online today for powder and could not find much!!it sucks! looks like people are hording that also.i just want some for my hobby.i usually put in a large order to make hazmat fees pay off,but looks like now that my be a while.a few more loading sessions and than i wait.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

yep... got 2000 SP primers, & was going to start reloading some 25 & 32 acp, some 32 & 38 S&W, not to mention a bunch of 38 Special for MRS to use for this summers CAS... plus just cleaned up 1000 9mm cases... not enough primers to load them all, so I'll just prep my cases, & load as I can buy I guess... pretty low on large rifle primers as well, but have enough of everything else...
Old February 11, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4
grubbylabs

With all this hording going on I keep expecting to see one of our members on that TLC show about horders

(Capt Charlie)
Old February 11, 2013, 06:52 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

Due to the rain this weekend I was able to stretch my primer supply a bit. Though I would much rather have been shooting. I have cut down on the amount of rounds I shoot in a range trip, and I have a good stash of .22 lr to pass some time at the range with. I have had some offers to buy the .22 lr at crazy prices. I gave two friends each a 550 round brick. They were floored.

I am going to try to wait the insanity out. Production will catch up, and demand will settle down. Then I can go back to normal.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:10 PM   #6
spitznagel

when things get this bad, how long does it generally take to calm back down a bit? ...a best guess, from experience atleast.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

After the last election I wanted to get into reloading. When primers could not be had I waited till some one traded me a set up with primers. That was in December 08. By May/June of 09 primers were staying on the shelves for longer than a few hours. By July you could find them anywhere, and they were staying on the shelves for longer than a few days. By August things were back to normal. That was in this area at least.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:46 PM   #8
serf 'rett

It seems the 08 run lasted from 12 to 18 months (depending on caliber or component).

Quote:
By August things were back to normal. That was in this area at least.
I don't think the claim of m&p45acp10+1, is totally true -

THE PRICES NEVER RETURNED TO THE 08 LEVELS.

A least not around here.
Old February 11, 2013, 09:47 PM   #9
grubbylabs

My reaction was a mix of things, first he is a last minute kind of guy, a procrastinator, second I just got about 2,000 pieces of brass and I am about 500 primers short of being able to load them.

(Capt Charlie)
Old February 11, 2013, 10:03 PM   #10
TXGunNut

I only have a few thousand primers but that's all I ever have. Found some powders I like and stocked up on on them and my old standby powders over the last year. Keep finding bricks of 22 on my shelf, even some old steel case Russian crap from an earlier shortage. I think I'm going to sit this shortage out, I just shoot my slow old leverguns and SA revolvers these days anyway.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:21 PM   #11
valleyforge.1777

Get a flintlock rifle. Clean the bore after every shot. You will put holes into holes. I have a Lyman Great Plains Rifle, .50 caliber flintlock. I can go to the range and be happy and have a great time all afternoon and maybe shoot 15 or 20 shots. I have a great time. I don't need to be shooting quickly or rapidly pulling the trigger over and over again to bast through 30 rounds of 223 to be happy. Cleaning the bore, then loading, then aiming and pulling the trigger is a process and if one can be "one" with the rifle then the process itself becomes a lot of recreation and fun. Those cool kids with their tactical AR's and all their mags and loads of 223 ammo, they all turn their heads to look when the flintlock fires off and the cloud of real black powder smoke fills the shooting benches. There's no shortage of real black powder, at least i don't think there is. I bought 20 pounds of FFg (for loading the main charge) and 5 pounds of FFFFg (for priming the pan) and a bunch of lead round balls several years ago, and I am all set. You can get a caplock, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find the caps these days. Pieces of flint are not being hoarded. Lead round balls are not being hoarded.

If you decide to give it a try, check out the place where I got my rifle and supplies, Dixon Muzzleloading Shop in PA. They explained everything I needed and what to do, how to do it, etc. They even give every customer a booklet that goes over, in precise details, how to do this shooting and how to clean the rifle.

Remember my motto, "Nobody's hoarding flint!"
Old February 12, 2013, 12:28 AM   #12
serf 'rett

That flintlock might increase IDPA time though.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:53 AM   #13
dornjmd

I don't know if Orlando flea market prices are any indication, but prices for 223 factory ammo have dropped from $1.50 / round to about $0.80 per round... Hopefully the hording is nearing an end.