The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 24, 2013, 10:40 AM   #1
BoogieMan

FEG PA-63

I have a atraction to Hungarian guns and I have seen a lot of these available lately. PA-63
Anyone own one. How do you like it? Pros or cons
Old January 24, 2013, 11:30 AM   #2
model18

wish Hogue would make a rubber finger grip for this model. Very snappy in 9x18 makarov
Old January 24, 2013, 11:36 AM   #3
sarge83

Recoil can take some getting used too but it's a fairly accurate piece I have found. The one thing you need to do is get replacement springs from Wolfe immediately, makes a world of difference in this gun.

You should be able to find a used one under $150, closer to $120.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
musher

Stock trigger is VERY heavy in double action. Heavy, but useable in single action. I understand the wolf spring set fixes this, but I haven't tried it.

I've run about 250 rounds of ball through it with no hiccups.

No idea about the long term, high use, durability of the gun, but it seems to be holding up ok so far.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:29 PM   #5
BoogieMan

I like the looks of them. Most of what I see on the market appear to be used police (EU) trade ins. I wouldnt have expected the grip to be uncomfortable. Looks like its very well designed for the hand. I will have to see if I can find one at a store and at least handle it before I purchase one.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:24 AM   #6
BrittB

I really like mine and it is my main carry weapon. It does bite a little bit on your thumb but that's because of the grips. I think that if I were to swap them out with grips that have no thumb groove it would be perfect. Very accurate as well and I will probably be hanging on to mine for a long time. As for price they have gone up a bit since the first of the year like everything else. If you can find one under 200 dollars buy it!
Old January 28, 2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Tortuga12

Get a spring kit from Wolf and a set of grips from Marshal and you're good to go!
Old January 29, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Cemo

+1 on the Wolf spring kit. The hard kicking 63 responds very well to a Wolf spring kit. Increase your recoil spring and reduce your trigger spring. Then it is sweet.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:37 PM   #9
plateshooter

The magazines for the one I have will not accept any hollow point bullet I have tried. It's not the bullets because they all work well in my Bulgy Maks.

I did the spring swap, and just shoot ball ammo in mine. It is very accurate and reliable with that ammo. Makes a great light weight carry gun.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:32 PM   #10
BrittB

I have shot the Hornaday rounds and had a couple failures to feed with my PA-63. Ball ammo has always worked perfectly so that's what I use. The brand doesn't seem to matter.
Old February 2, 2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Tortuga12

Brown bear JHP's function really well in mine, but are dirty as heck. Have had good luck w/ Georgia Arms Gold Dot JHP's, had a couple of jams, but then I polished the feed ramp a little and haven't had an issue since.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:13 AM   #12
Chesster

++ on the spring kit. Good little shooter but you don't want to shoot a lot in a session as it can be rough on the hands.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!