The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 1, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1
tristar viper

Held a Taurus PT111 G2 today

I don't know how many of you have seen one of these in a shop, because they're pretty new, but I saw one at my local shop today and I was very impressed. Ergos are great, dry firing felt great, and I think it looks good.
I happen to be unlike some of the rest of you; I am a Taurus fan, and I believe this will be my next gun, unless I find it's a horrible malfunctioning POS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt111_01.jpg (66.7 KB, 146 views)
Old February 1, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
jon_in_wv

Strange you are a fan of the company yet you admit if may be a "horrible malfunctioning POS". Therein lies the problem with Taurus products. They are a little too hit or miss for me and you can buy many other reliable weapons for the same money.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:37 AM   #3
tristar viper

You're absolutely right....some are bad. But I have two Taurus pistols that are excellent, as do many others on here. What I meant is that if I read multiple reports of bad things over and over about it, then I probably won't buy one. But I don't mind being a guinea pig on a new model.
I have the so called "reliable" weapons you speak of: Glock 19, Sig P226, Springfield XD.....I simply like Taurus pistols, the two I have I completely trust my life to, every bit as much as the other guns I have. In fact, my PT709
has replaced my G19 as my carry gun at the moment.
For $349, jon in wv, what are some of these many other "reliable" weapons you are speaking of that are 9mm?
Old February 2, 2013, 07:19 AM   #4
flybuddy

Overall they are well made guns I think they may have been lacking in quality control at some point. I've owned two, a PT92 and PT111, the 92 was excellent and still is in every way. The 111 would constantly jam right out of the box. Sent it back to Taurus and it came back totally fixed and as reliable as the 92. So even if they are hit or miss, they have a great warranty and will honor it.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5
jaytothekizzay

That is a good lookin gun... whats the price tag on it? I also have a pt145 that's been totally reliable
Old February 2, 2013, 09:19 AM   #6
tristar viper

$349. Excellent ergos....for me anyway. Adjustable sights. The grip has a very coarse H&K P30-like texture. And it's light. I'm having a hard time believing it's 22oz like the website says....it's lighter than my G19 by a noticeable amount I thought....that was my initial impression when holding it.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:08 PM   #7
dancastro

Tristar - Dont know where in Ohio you are, but I just picked up a 111 G2 today in North Lawrence for $330
Old February 2, 2013, 06:38 PM   #8
tristar viper

Do you plan on shooting it soon? Please provide a range report if you can.
I'm around the Cleveland area.....a little bit south.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:55 PM   #9
TennJed

Quote:
Strange you are a fan of the company yet you admit if may be a "horrible malfunctioning POS". Therein lies the problem with Taurus products. They are a little too hit or miss for me and you can buy many other reliable weapons for the same money.
I am a wrapped in the wool die hard Ruger fanboy, but they have put ot some "horrible malfuctioning POS" guns on the first run. They have had serveral models that needed "bug worked out". MY favorite carry gun is the super reliable Sig P290. The first run of P290's were "horrible malfunctioning POS". If you are a fan of ANY company then you have to admit there is a chance that a new gun design can be a "horrible malfunctioning POS". If you just want to bash Taurus, then fine, but the comment you quoted was a very resonable quote by the OP
Old February 8, 2013, 10:45 PM   #10
DRWTEXAS

PT 111 G2

I bought a PT 111 G2 Last weekend. I took it to the range yesterday and put 50 rounds of Federal 115gr and 50 rounds of Blazer 115 gr (cheap ammo) through it. The gun worked smoothly and flawlessly with not much kick for a gun it's size. I am very impressed with this gun and extremely satisfied with my purchase.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Crankgrinder

The pt111 pro has gone glock! just had to say it. I had an original pt111pro and it was overall a pretty well made gun that fed well and never had a malfunction that wasnt due to ammo or myself. Got rid of it on a glock19 only because it shot consistently low for me and a lack of afermarket replacement sights and $40 a piece mags. Hopefully theyve corrected the low shooting pt series syndrome with this new model.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:59 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Looks a lot like a Ruger LC9 to me. Not a bad looking gun and I'd guess it doesn't have that god awful loaded chamber indicator that the Ruger does.

Any one own or shoot both? Curious how they stack up.
Old February 27, 2013, 07:50 PM   #13
jon_in_wv

I simply said it was strange and gave you my opinion thats all. If you love Taurus and its what you want then its your money isn't it? I don't feel like getting in a childish argument to tell you how to spend your money. But if you want an example of a $350 dollar weapon I bought a S&W 3913 for that price. I think its a better weapon than that Taurus will ever be but if that is what you want then go for it. I'm sure its every bit as good as "Glock 19, Sig P226, Springfield XD....."