The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1
coachteet

Finally made the plunge into reloading

I have been kicking around getting into reloading since the 2008 shortage. The recent shortage finally got me to make the move. I have been looking around for a decent starter setup for the last few weeks, but its been slim pickings. But then I stumbled across a CL ad of a guy unloading his setup. He priced the press + accessories, tumbler and dies separately. I emailed him and asked him how much for everything (the dies are basically exactly what I shoot). He said he wouldn't give a break on the price, but if I took everything he would throw in "some powder and components and stuff". I took the deal (actually, my brother and I split it). When I got there, he told me he thought he might have priced everything a little low, he got a ton of emails, lol. I paid $400 for:

Lyman 6 stage turret press (I think it is an old T-Mag). He knocked $25 off because he couldn't find the press arm.

RCBS die sets: 9mm, 45acp, .223, 38/357
Lee die set: 30.06

Thumlers Tumbler Ultra-Vibe 18
Case length gauges and shell holders
Lee powder scale
Powder measure
RCBS hand priming tool
Case lube pad
Primer tray
2 loading trays
Case lube

Accurate powders: 1 lb 2230, 1 lb 2520, 1 lb No. 5, 12oz Nitro 100

900+ CCI large pistol primers
1000 Winchester large rifle primers
300 CCI small rifle primers
300 Winchester small pistol primers

~200 .223 Copper jacketed bullets
~30 copper jacketed 30.06 bullets
~40 copper jacketed 45acp bullets
500 double end wadcutter hardcast 38 bullets

~400 pieces of mixed brass (.223,45acp,38,357,30.06)

I am currently about 1/4 through the instructional chapters of The ABC's of Reloading. In the meantime, I have sorted a few thousand pieces of brass I've accumulated, and will start running them through the tumbler. I will also be working on setting up my reloading table. I have an old sturdy metal shop table in the garage I think it would be the best place to set myself up. I plan on attaching an old wood cabinet or two to the wall for storage. The garage is not climate controlled, so I will have to store my powder and primers in the basement when I'm not using them. I also picked up some cast 9mm and 45 bullets at the gun show. I should have picked up some ammo boxes while I was there.

I have a few questions, if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out.

1. Are there any items that you notice I am missing that I need to get started, once I am ready (besides getting a new arm for the press)?

2. Should I put a wood top over the metal top of the table?

3. Should I buy a better scale? I would feel more comfortable with a digital scale, versus something that looks like it was designed in the 60's.

4. Any other tips, concerns, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:59 PM   #2
coachteet

Old February 6, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3
spacecoast

Looks like you got a real good deal to me. Can't say a whole lot on your questions, I reload off my desk with a hand press and dippers. I do like using the Lee Factory Crimp Die, but it's not absolutely necessary.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Fire_Moose

How come I never come across these deals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachteet View Post

1. Are there any items that you notice I am missing that I need to get started, once I am ready (besides getting a new arm for the press)? yes. Calipers and a bullet puller and check weights, and a way to prime cases(not familure with yer press)

2. Should I put a wood top over the metal top of the table? I'd just put a wood border on to keep things from rolling off

3. Should I buy a better scale? I would feel more comfortable with a digital scale, versus something that looks like it was designed in the 60's. [Color=red]that's where the check weights come in. I wouldn't trust a digital without a manual backup[\color]

4. Any other tips, concerns, etc?
[Color=red]start low and work up. Dont guess. Look into every case before a bullet goes on[\color]
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Sent from my CZ85 Combat
Old February 6, 2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

Maybe I missed it but I don't see any calipers in the pictures. The dial type will last a very long time. Digital are kind of hit and miss. You can just go to harbor freight and get some there for a low price. They should be enough for reloading purposes.

It is good to have the bench level to keep things from rolling around. Some find putting a lip on the bench to keep things from rolling off. Others think it is easier to sweep clean the top without the lip. Your mileage will vary.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:23 PM   #6
rlc323

The most valuable thing you have at this time are the manuals.

I prefer a digital scale, but the one in the photo will work for now. Many of us started out with the balance beam.

I don't like to store primers or powder in the basement due to the chance of dampness. Of course not every basement is the same. If yours is dry or you run a dehumidifier you should be okay.

Those Bull-X Bullets may be collectors items, they closed up over 10 years ago

Last edited by rlc323; February 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:54 PM   #7
bbqncigars

Digital scales are great for sorting, not so reliable long term as a good balance beam. I don't see a case trim or deburring tool there either. Those will be needed. It looks like you have a good start though.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:07 AM   #8
Gdawgs

I'd say you got a heck of a deal. Sounds like your questions have already been answered. I have the same press and have used it for many years. People ask me why I don't step up to a progressive. I enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting (well almost as much) and don't consider it a chore. So if it takes me a bit longer, that's just fine with me. I've pumped out 10s of thousands of rounds with that baby.