The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which Glock 19 Configuration is Best for Home Defense for New Glock User?
Glock 19 base model 55 94.83%
Glock 19 with heavy Tungsten guide rod 2 3.45%
Glock 19 compensated 0 0%
Glock 19 compensated with heavy Tungsten guide rod 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1
MrChip

Glock 19 versus Glock 19c

Hello,

This is my first post. I currently own a S&W 38 special, but want to buy my first semi-automatic. After trying several models at an indoor range, I decided on the Glock 19. I started the process of hunting one down for purchase when I came across the option of getting a compensated gun. I have never heard of this option before. From what I can tell, it seems that the advantage of getting a compensated gun is reduced recoil for increased accuracy on the second, third shots.

During my practices I selected the 9mm over a .40 specifically for the reduced recoil. I was planning on replacing the stock guide rod with a heavy tungsten guide rod that is supposed to reduce recoil. Will the heavier guide rod give about the same advantage as a compensated model?

Is a G19 compensated legal in California? If it is, am I better off with a compensated model or the stock model with the heavier guide rod?

The G19 will be used for home defense.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for the advice. I would also love any ideas where I can find one to purchase in these crazy times.

Chip
Old February 4, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Joe_Pike

I wouldn't get the 19c for HD. I would think muzzle flash would be a problem in low light.

As far as finding one, good luck. They are real hard to come by right now. A local shop had 3 19c models at one time two-three weeks ago. I passed them up but one couple bought all three. Haven't seen any 19s since, compensated or not.
Old February 4, 2013, 08:33 PM   #3
chris in va

It's also my understanding a compensated handgun is much louder. Go with a standard G19 if that's what floats your boat.

IMO there are much better 9mm handguns on the market, so might want to shop around a bit.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:35 PM   #4
ILLINI

Not even close. The ported barrel will be louder and have more muzzle flash. You won't see much reduction in recoil, but with the 9mm it is anon issue. Save your money on the guide rod and invest in night sights. They are a much better investment. ...Illini
Old February 4, 2013, 09:48 PM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Save your money on the guide rod and invest in night sights. They are a much better investment
Get a weapon light first, then the night sights. Knowing what you're shooting at is a big +1.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Pico

The standard G-19

You don't need a ported barrel shooting 9 mm loads. The noise, flash, and extra mess is not worth it. You may want to consider a .40 right now since I'm seeing .40 as more available in stores when they have ANYTHING AT ALL.

Pico
Old February 5, 2013, 03:20 PM   #7
TailGator

You need to shoot a G19 to be sure what is true for you, but for me the recoil of 9 mm is too small to justify ports. I have never tried the heavy guide rod, but I suspect the answer would be similar.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:51 PM   #8
David the Gnome

Standard Glock 19, then get a light and call it done. Night sights are purely optional but with the light you really don't need them.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:52 PM   #9
arch308

Forget the compensator, they blind you in low light. Like a flash bulb going off in your eyes. Plus the 9mm is such a light kicker I can't see any need for one.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:17 AM   #10
Theohazard

I have a friend who swears by the Glock 19C; he points out that the louder noise and the brighter flash in low light (not much of an issue with higher-quality self-defense ammo) is worth the faster follow-up shots.

But he's also a highly-ranked IPSC shooter: He is good enough and fast enough that the only thing slowing him down when shooting a regular 19 is the muzzle flip, so the 19C helps him shoot a lot faster. But for us regular folks, a normal Glock 19's muzzle flip isn't what's slowing us down; it's sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, etc.

So if you've reached a level where you're fast and accurate enough that the only thing slowing you down is waiting for the muzzle to come back down after recoil, the 19C is definitely worth it. But if you're just a normal shooter like most of us, the regular 19 is probably the way to go.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Silent Bob

I had a G19C for awhile, it was fairly obnoxious to shoot in the local indoor range. I was able to shoot it faster (less muzzle rise) but it was outweighed by the increased report and blast.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Target07

Glock 19 over 19c

I have owned both and I now only own the G19. With a G19c you have to worry about trash/debris getting into the ports while carrying. In addition to what others have mentioned above if you are using it for defensive purposes and have to shoot across your body while holding it extremely close to your chest there is a good possibility of the muzzle flash burning your face...for example, if you are in a vehicle and are approached by a car-jacker or such and you have to shoot across your body while holding the weapon close to your chest.

Just something to consider.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:27 AM   #13
KO3422

I own both the 19 and 19c. If I'm complaining about recoil from a 9mm, the I need to start working out.

The 19c did have a larger flash which is somewhat annoying at times. Mags, ammo, night sights, and a light....and I'm good.
Old February 7, 2013, 02:34 PM   #14
MrChip

Advice Taken and G19 purchased

Thank you all for such great feedback. I have never seen a poll with virtually unanimous results!

I decided to take everyone's advice and get a standard model. The wait times are crazy for these in San Diego. I was told anywhere from 6-12 months given the current wait lists. I found a dealer in Nevada that just happened to have received two units that are CA legal. I purchased one of them and had the dealer add TruGlo night sights. The gun should ship to my FFL today. If all goes well I will have it in 14 days or less after the holding period!

I am going to do a lot of practicing with the gun as is. If I decided to add lights to it, can someone suggest an affordable option that balances value and reliability?

Thanks again for all of your help with this. I feel great to be exercising my Second Amendment rights.
Old February 7, 2013, 03:37 PM   #15
allaroundhunter

You want a TLR-1 or TLR-1s, both made by Streamlight. Perfect weapon lights, IMO.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old February 7, 2013, 04:20 PM   #16
JD0x0

No compensator. 9mm Luger has about as much recoil as one of my farts
Old February 7, 2013, 04:42 PM   #17
mach1.3

G19 not G19c. The guide rod is plastic so maybe replacing with a stainless guide rod later would be more durable and accurate. I have no experience with the heavier guide rods. Put a 3.5# trigger in, maybe an extended slide release--night sights are nicer than the regular plastic Glock sights also. The thing that's nice about Glocks is they're easy and relatively cheap to update yourself. You could even buy an aftermarket drop-in bbl through LWD with threaded muzzle or compensator slots. The inboard compensator slots on the G19c tend to blacken your front sights and give much greater flash sight picture. You might want to also shoot a G23 to compare.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:28 PM   #18
CSHammond

Just commenting on the recoil between 19 and 19c. The recoil is significantly less on the 19c. I know this since I have shot them both at the same time, with the same load. As far as muzzle flash, don't know as it was daytime.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:55 PM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:
During my practices I selected the 9mm over a .40 specifically for the reduced recoil. I was planning on replacing the stock guide rod with a heavy tungsten guide rod that is supposed to reduce recoil. Will the heavier guide rod give about the same advantage as a compensated model?
Uhhhhh.

Why "richard" around with it? The base model is fine, as it. Recoil with 9mm is minimal. You need neither porting/compensation nor a new guide rod.

Resist the urge to tinker.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 7, 2013, 10:06 PM   #20
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Just commenting on the recoil between 19 and 19c. The recoil is significantly less on the 19c. I know this since I have shot them both at the same time, with the same load.
IME, 'significant' is not the right word. The 9mm round is a pussycat. When I shot both, even with +P ammo, they felt close to the same, the 'C' model had a little less flip, but not much. When I got to +P+ ammo, I give a small edge to the 'C' model. However, I would never use one for defensive use if given the choice; the additional muzzle flash and noise is a no-go for those situations.

Now, when I used a G23 and a G23c, I preferred the G23c. That would be a little harder decision to make if I had to choose one for defense... But I still would probably go with the stock, non-compensated model. Additional muzzle blast is never good for a defensive gun.

Tags
9mm , g19 , g19c , glock