The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 04:04 PM   #1
sirdiealot

gun and ammo trade

got a guy that wants to trade me 80 of 45acp cci ammo and a s&w s40ve for 500rds of tulammo and 1 30rd wilson poly mag...is the 40s&w any good. and is this a decent deal

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2
chris in va

The S40VE is known for having a rather difficult trigger.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:11 PM   #3
lamarw

How do you feel about the trade? Your description of the trade makes it sound more like a trade based upon each other's current needs vs a normal world value trade.

It is hard to decipher what is worth what in this artificial environment. This is where I am coming from in attempting to respond to your question, but maybe I am wrong.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:18 PM   #4
sirdiealot

honestly i feel pretty good...got a 1911 on order but have no ammo....the 40s&w have never shot or even looked into them but all the tulammo is just setting around and only have about 125 invested in ammo and 10 on the mag. so im happy i think as long as the 40s&w is a decent gun

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:24 PM   #5
TheBigO

I would make the trade- I am betting in a few months the Ammo prices will start to again fall and you will have a pistol to show for it. I think at this point you bought low and can sell high.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:27 PM   #6
jbrown27

The Smith & Wesson is a very reliable gun. I had one and I never had a single issue. That being said the trigger is not good yo say the least. Very heavy and long. Took some time to get to were I shot it well just because of the trigger. Other than that gun is good.
Old February 3, 2013, 04:30 PM   #7
CharlieDeltaJuliet

The S&W will have a little stiffer trigger than your 1911, but they are striker fired. I owned one until my uncle took a fit over it. It was a great pistol. Also one I would trust my life with..
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old February 3, 2013, 05:34 PM   #8
sirdiealot

cool. and the other guy seems just as happy in fact hes driving hr and half to make the trade...so i guess everyones happy and in a trade deal if you can get that its great....

Old February 3, 2013, 05:45 PM   #9
sirdiealot

one other quick question what is the difference between the s40ve and the sd40ve....this has been a busy week for me buying trading guns...got a 1911 on the way from buds, a yugo m57 on the way from j and g, and now this s40ve...wifes gonna **** her pants lol not a big gun anyway lol but she knew that when she married me 24yrs ago

Old February 4, 2013, 03:26 PM   #10
kahrguy

That s&w should be ether a S or SW 40ve. If a plane ole sigma no big deal.

I am a bit behind hind the curve on the difference in the early sigma and the updated SW**VE version. Anyway there areyou tube "tuneups" you can do to ether than will greatly improve the trigger. That is the only realy thing people have issues with. Now if the handgun was a 9lb trigger and its on a SIG it just fine!!!

Apex has some spring kits that help greatly to make these pistols into just fine DA triggers. Also videos to walk you thru it. Cheap too. Make for a good house or match guns. To large for me to carry but weight is not bad ether.

Add the apex kit and some polishing and those older models work fine.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Constantine

lol

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494387

Don't do it.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old February 5, 2013, 12:56 AM   #12
sirdiealot

well picked it up today and it looks almost new....got two mags for it the blue s&w box all the reading material and the spent rd. also the guy had put on the rail adapter so i can put anything on it i want. oh and its a sw40ve. nice gun holds well in the hand. trigger pull is longgggg but something i will get used to maybe. going to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots