The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 9, 2011, 08:41 PM   #26
Hazborgufen

Good to see I'm not the only one in Chicago! My story regarding the CFP has made the rounds so it’s fun to see this thread bumped again.

I recently had to renew my shotgun registration as it was on the old system. First I went to my local police precinct, which is where forms used to be kept. According to the officer I spoke with though, ever since the new ordinance took effect the only place to get the blank documents is either online or at the Gun Registration Department. Since I was updating from the old style registration to the new style, I wanted to make sure everything was kosher so I went to CPD HQ, which threw another wrench in my plan. The Gun Registration Department has been moved to 4770 S. Kedzie Avenue. Rather than waste any more time, I decided to buy some cardstock and print my own, which worked just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagonman
Speaking as a Chicago Cop, we haven't received any instruction in this new permit. so be careful.
This is literally terrifying. I shoot almost every weekend, so I have my firearms, legally, on Chicago roads quite often. I keep my CFP and registration certificates in my range bag though, so at least I’ll have that if there’s ever an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitttorrrent
Anyway, the Police officer also said there is a 12rd max. for any gun I try to regester or they will deny me. So, no 17rd glocks. Have to get a lower mag. for Chicago.
The gun I use for USPSA limited class normally comes with 20 round mags. When I ordered it, I mentioned that mag restriction. They shipped the pistol with a 10 round mag to the FFL and sent the 20 round magazines to my buddy’s house in the suburbs. Those mags have to stay in the suburbs but my buddy and I do all our shooting together so it isn’t the biggest deal. I was able to mark down 10 rounds as the magazine capacity in good conscience.

Also as a heads up, a disassembled magazine is still considered a magazine. I asked the officer in charge of the registration department if I could keep them in a disassembled state within city limits. That won’t fly, unfortunately. Isn’t that was people in California do?
Old June 10, 2011, 01:27 PM   #27
bitttorrrent

Yes, I had to go down to 4770 S. Kedzie Avenue, which was a waste of time, but I had no choice. At least we can legally own handguns now, but it is a little like CA with the gun restrictions, permits and mag. restrictions - except with crappy weather.

I have a px4 storm in 9mm that has a 17rnd mag. I will have to order a 10 round for around here in case i get pulled over. I shoot often up in MI, so I can use those up there.

That sucks I can't even transport an empy 17rnd mag. legally around here. Jeez, I swear I am not a drug running gang banger.
Old June 11, 2011, 11:32 PM   #28
Wagonman

I would keep any hi cap magazines in a separate case and invoke your right to refuse a search after complying with all legal orders. You already have a "good guy" card so you should be gtg.
Old June 12, 2011, 10:53 PM   #29
Hazborgufen

One thing about the ordinance that I'm still not sure about is extended magazines on shotguns. The law says that a fixed magazine over 5 rounds on a semiautomatic shotgun is an "assault weapon." Obviously a pump action shotgun is not semi-automatic, but the registration form asks "DOES YOUR SHOTGUN HAVE A FIXED MAGAZINE CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF 5 ROUNDS?" in the evil features section. It seems like answering "yes" on any of the bonus questions would be an immediate rejection. Check out Section B on the registration form.

I'd imagine it would be quite a headache arguing the point. You are allowed to bring a firearm into the city and then submit the registration within 5 business days. You are technically in compliance while the registration is pending, but the last thing I want is a visit from the CAGE unit because I marked “Yes” on one of the bonus questions.
Old June 13, 2011, 12:57 PM   #30
Patriot86

I went to a Gun Store near the border with Chicago a few months back, I was looking at a Remington 870 with a 7 round magazine. The guy behind the counted asked me if I was from Chicago because the shotgun I was looking at wasnt Chicago legal for what that's worth.
Old June 15, 2011, 10:22 AM   #31
bitttorrrent

Don't know about shotgun options. Still waiting for my Chicago Firearms Permit in the mail before registering.

You could call down to Kedzie and ask for a Police officer. I asked about a light only, not a laser, and he said if it is not on the form, then don't ask and should be ok.

I think they will go to the letter on the form.
Old June 15, 2011, 10:24 PM   #32
Hazborgufen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot86
I went to a Gun Store near the border with Chicago a few months back, I was looking at a Remington 870 with a 7 round magazine. The guy behind the counted asked me if I was from Chicago because the shotgun I was looking at wasnt Chicago legal for what that's worth.
No offense to the area's gun stores, but many of them don't have a clue when it comes to the new ordinance. I called up the gun registration department and they verified that an extended capacity pump action shotgun is legal. The officer made a point to say that the 5 shell limit was for semis only and it you check off "pump action" you wouldn't have any problems. That's good news at least.

Truthfully, while the restrictions in the ordinance are frustrating, the paperwork irritating, and the venue changes inconvenient, so far the officers I've dealt with have been helpful and accommodating. One even told me flat out that the ordinance was dumb because it only penalizes “good guys.” Your millage may vary but so far the police haven't been the ones making things difficult for me. If only the politicians were of a similar mind.
Old June 17, 2011, 05:02 PM   #33
Armybrat

No offense, but this makes me glad I live in Texas.
Old July 5, 2011, 11:16 PM   #34
BLEACH

Thanks for sharing this information. I moved to Chicago in 2008 for school (stayed in the dorms -no guns allowed) and finally graduated and got an apartment in the city in December. I came here from SC and stopped for a while in RI to see my family. I left my hangun in RI where it is being stored at my mother's house. I had no idea where else to keep it legally especially since I had no intention of going back to SC. I probably should have just sold it before moving out of SC. Now that I am out of school I am trying to figure out how to tie up the loose end of a weapon sitting at my mom's house. I keep worrying that its going to get stolen even though she's assured me no one knows its there. I am starting with a FOID card app, then I'll register the gun in Chicago. If all that goes smoothly, then I'll have to go get it and either fly or drive it thru NY, PA, OH, IN, and IL. Has anyone else had the experience of trying to register guns that you already own before bringing them into the city? Does my plan sound acceptable or should I just find a way to have my mom legally get rid of the gun for me?
Old July 6, 2011, 01:08 AM   #35
sigcurious

Bleach,

If you live in the city limits you'll need a Chicago Firearms Permit also. The CFP runs ~$200 for the class and city fees.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:35 PM   #36
uptickk

I know this is an old posting but I had a question regarding the purchase of firearms for Chicago residents. I am signed up for the CFP training class in a week but of course don't yet have my permit. Can I purchase a shotgun with my FOID card and keep it in the burbs until I actually receive my CFP if my FOID/license are registered in Chicago?

It is more of a logistical thing since I plan on being in the far burbs for other reasons and would prefer if I could kill two birds with one stone by special ordering the gun then and depending on when it comes in I would leave it in the burbs or bring it to the city if I received my CFP at that point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old February 1, 2013, 01:20 PM   #37
hermannr

Court states you cannot license a right. If you license a right, it becomes a privilage.

Congratulations on obtaining your permission slip from the King...no remove the king and the need for a permission slip.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:41 PM   #38
JimDandy

How do they know if you have a 12 round mag, or a full size mag when you register?
Old February 1, 2013, 05:06 PM   #39
godot

I also have a Chicago card and wonder if it will become irrelevant when the CCW cards come out. I also went to Gat (great shop) and it is quite a distance. Also as a person from the North side I wasn't crazy about visiting the South side (on the CTA) to apply for the Chicago card.
In the best of all possible worlds, those with a Chicago card will be automatically given a CCW card without having to walk on hot coals imbedded with ground glass, but that's just being hopelessly optimistic.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:36 AM   #40
+1k ammo

In my opoinion of government, nothing is ever taken away, only added.

So you will still probably have to get a CFP (Chicago Firearms Permit) and then get a CCW type permit when it becomes legal after the 180 days.

Just more paperwork.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:04 PM   #41
uptickk

Posted in error

Last edited by uptickk; February 13, 2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Misposted
Old February 27, 2013, 05:35 PM   #42
uptickk

I just received my Chicago Firearms Permit today after only dropping it off a weak ago. It is probably one of the least official looking things I have seen but what do you expect for 100 bucks every three years....

Now to track down the gun I want that happens to be sold out everywhere...
Old February 28, 2013, 07:33 PM   #43
+1k ammo

Yep, I laminated mine to make it look more official.

What gun are you looking for?
Old March 1, 2013, 08:50 AM   #44
uptickk

Not a bad idea on laminating it, will definitely make it last longer.

I actually was looking for a Glock 23, which I just so happen to find yesterday at a "reasonable price". Should ship in about 9 days.

Tags
chicago , foid