The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Mikef262

Taurus PT92 questions

My not so better judgement led me to purchase a Taurus Pt92 4 years ago at an outrageous price. I paid $450. No doubt about it my biggest gun buying mistake, but here recently the prices of guns skyrocketed. I actually have two questions. The first being do you think it's at all possible for me to break even and get the $450 I paid for it back? I am not going to try and rip people off and put a $600 price tag on a gun that's only worth $475ish. I just want to recover from that bad decision. The second question being if I cannot recover, or even come close do you think trading for a Smith and Wesson snub nose 38 revolver would be a good trade? Maybe an older classic looking Charter arms.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Patrice

Hhmmm....Was the gun purchased new? If so, $450 does not sound like an outrageous price, even 4 years ago. Not that I own any firearms or ammunition---but when I had access to such things, the PT-92 was one of my favorite guns; I preferred it to Beretta's version. But I liked revolvers, too. Good luck.--Patrice
Old January 31, 2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Mikef262

Bought used with a pair of semi beat up wood grips. Metal dinged up real good in some locations. Maybe I am overreacting, but I feel as though it was a bad deal. Of course it just so happened 3 days later I one of my friends was selling his Beretta 92Fs with four 15 round magazines, and a nice leather holster for $425. Maybe that's why I am upset with my dealing with the taurus.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Mosin44az

Prices are sky-high right now, at least folks are ASKING sky-high prices. 450 would not put you in the outrageous spectrum especially if you are offering "hi-cap" magazines in the bargain.

It DOES sound like you overpaid back then. I got a new one for $450 in January 2011, a PT 99AF. But you might be able to recover now. Only one way to find out.

New Smith Airweights were going for slightly under $400 best price, before Newtown. If that's what you're thinking, sounds like a good trade for you, especially if someone wants a hi-cap 9mm.

I like the Taurus better than the Beretta also, much prefer the design with the frame-mounted decocking safety. My Taurus was a bit finicky though.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Mikef262

Yup had one 15 round magazine and a 17 rounder. Mine is iffy in accuracy not nearly as accurate as my Beretta. What do you think the odds are of finding somebody that's got a good condition older S&W model 36 or another snub nose along those lines?
Old February 1, 2013, 01:11 AM   #6
Mosin44az

Also consider a trade for a Ruger LCR in .357 magnum. The .357 is very nice to shoot for a pocket revolver, and they were going for $470 last fall. Or a used Ruger SP, not a pocket gun but nice and compact, and will outlast your grandchildren....
Old February 1, 2013, 01:32 AM   #7
Budda

Academy sports is selling them new right now for $379.

I have a 92' pt-99 and would not trade it for a new berretta.I payed $300 4 years ago.
Old February 1, 2013, 04:27 AM   #8
bigghoss

If you could trade that for a smith or even a ruger do it. Charter arms, I wouldn't. Even the older ones that are decent quality probably aren't worth as much as the taurus right now. List it for sale for $500 on armslist and I bet it'll be spoken for by the end of the day.
Old February 1, 2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Inazone

Don't kick yourself too hard for buying the Taurus days before the Beretta popped up for sale. The PT92 is by most accounts the best gun ever to bear the Taurus name, and while that might not be saying much, it does seem to steer clear of much of the criticism of other Taurus models. I first learned about the PT92 while searching for a Beretta 92FS for my wife, and found a great deal on a used one. Several months and several hundred rounds later, I have no complaints at all. I don't know what I could expect a Beretta to do better, at least not with my skill set.