The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 29, 2013, 11:08 PM   #26
makarov

I feel like you could chuck an SKS off a cliff or drive over it and it might survive . Not my AR. Good point ^^^^^^^
Plus an SKS is 30 cal which makes it legal to hunt deer with in my state.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:50 PM   #27
Hairbag

The issue is not the rifle. IF congress was to pass a mag cap law it will change things some. If congress or your state was to pass a 10rd mag restriction the SKS will keep going up in value. Why would you want a AK or any EBR if you can only use 10rd mags when you can have a sks with 10rd stripper clips which you can load and carry much easier than a mag. 10rd stripper clips=$1 10rd mag AR AK whatever $15-$20 The sks is ban friendly. Sure, it's ok when you live in a pro-gun state. People are buying the sks "just in case". It's not a bad idea to have a nice sks added to the safe and a pile of stripper clips. Sks is a milsurp rifle and they ain't making anymore. Don't fall for it. There not passing any AWB this time they are going after mags and ammo. Obama can stop overseas ammo with a stroke of a pen.

Last edited by Hairbag; January 29, 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:30 AM   #28
tulsamal

Hmmm, I bought one years ago. Took it out exactly once and put 20-30 rounds through it. Didn't like the height of the receiver in comparison to the rear sight. Felt like I needed to raise the rear sight to be able to see it. But then it shot high. And all that bayonet and grenade launcher stuff just makes it front heavy. It was cheap when I bought it and 7.62x39 is always good, so I kept it. Been leaning in a corner of a closet for years now and never even been loaded again.

I don't usually sell guns either but for this kind of money and a gun I'm probably never going to shoot again... maybe I need to head to GB and sell it!

Should sell my wood stocked CETME at the same time. Another rifle I never shoot anymore. Even though I got one that worked fine right out of the box. Use the money to buy something I will actually shoot.

Gregg

Last edited by tulsamal; January 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old January 31, 2014, 02:27 PM   #29
boostedtt91

Just found a yugo at the local gun shop for $295. Doesn't have the bayonet on it but very tempting. That a decent deal on one? Not sure what there going for these days
Old January 31, 2014, 08:54 PM   #30
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
But there are millions of them out there, and like any firearm, it's value- other than rare ones that might have a collectible value- will be driven as compared to other rifles....

When things return to normal shortly, the guys with the three SKS's they paid too much for sitting in their safe are going to want something else and dump them back onto the market.

Supply/Demand, and the prices set by the normal markets, will return.
Prices may lower on the SKS but overall these guns will only increase in price over time. Case in point, I have a pristine 1954 Russian Tula that I paid $89 for in the early 1990s. Had I known then what I know now.

As someone pointed out above, it isn't like they are making any more of them.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; February 3, 2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old January 31, 2014, 09:23 PM   #31
Fugit1ve Wizard

My first rifle was a Yugoslav SKS that was "demilitarized" by having the bayonet lug and flare launcher cut off. I paid $400 and the rifle came with 400rds. of surplus ammo and a pile of stripper clips. This was about a year and a half ago.
Old January 31, 2014, 09:30 PM   #32
skizzums

tulsamal, give me a holler when your ready to sell the cetme, ive always wanted one
Old January 31, 2014, 10:40 PM   #33
boostedtt91

What is the going rate for a Yugo right now?
Old February 28, 2014, 05:42 PM   #34
Average Joe

$ 400 to $450
Old February 28, 2014, 06:31 PM   #35
Garycw

I was recently offered $375 for a nice one still in Cosmo. Complete & all matching. I declined the offer.
Old March 1, 2014, 03:38 AM   #36
GunXpatriot

Guys, I am talking about an Original M59 (With some parts replaced with 59/66 part numbers), so M59's are going to be a little more expensive from what I've seen.

I don't know if that was clear, but either way, it's pretty much what you can own in NY, and I've enjoyed the rifle so far. My only complaint is the stock. If you choke up where it's comfortable, your hand will hit you in the nose from the recoil. I don't really know how to fix that, other than a stock extension. I think that's a big drawback. If you really choke up on the rifle, you can get the receiver right in your nose. Not good.

I don't think I've heard anyone complain about that, but I've never experienced it on anything else, so I just thought it was worth noting.

Guess I'll just have to try out an extension.
Old March 1, 2014, 08:01 AM   #37
BoogieMan

I am a little surprised at what many of you are willing to pay. I picked up a Norinco yesterday for $325 out the door and its supreme condition. I could have had many Yugos for the same or less. IMO the Yugo is the least desirable of the SKS due to the barrel not being lined.
I found several retailers online selling both China and Yugo guns for $289+. Add in your $25 s&h and your still ahead of the game.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:12 AM   #38
veamon

What's the appeal of the SKS? My dad has one in his safe I saw, I never fired it. It seems nice and sturdy, and I like how the iron sites had a nice dial to zero on.

My main rifle I have is an older mini14 (1983), and was maybe looking at an AR, but haven't decided.
Old March 1, 2014, 12:39 PM   #39
Garycw

Quote:
Originally Posted by veamon View Post
What's the appeal of the SKS? My dad has one in his safe I saw, I never fired it. It seems nice and sturdy, and I like how the iron sites had a nice dial to zero .

Maybe you should fire it sometime.??
They have more appeal to me than a mini14.
Old March 9, 2014, 03:00 AM   #40
Ignition Override

He never stated whether it was a Yugo 59/66 or an actual M59. Last December I bought two of these 59s, in excellent condition with matching actions/bolts/bolt carriers. There might not be quite as desired as pure Russians, but the 59s are much less common in the US. SOG might still have some (the seller got both of them from there).

A definite cure for SKS' popped primers (most often using Tula ammo) is to ship the gun to Murray's, in Bowie TX. One of mine is now enroute. The actual reamed chamber is $30 per rifle, with no effect on accuracy.

There is a large forum at SKSboards featuring issues addressed by Murray's gunsmith work. They also have a nice website.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 10, 2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old March 9, 2014, 04:08 AM   #41
Jim243

Quote:
Guess I'll just have to try out an extension.

Try one of these they work fine.

Jim

Old March 9, 2014, 06:22 PM   #42
RUT

>>I really liked the Yugo SKS only bad thing was a non chrome lined barrels<<

Don't let that deter you.... there are many many guns out there without chrome lined barrels. Just clean them as you should and you won't have a problem.
Old March 11, 2014, 12:01 AM   #43
Ignition Override

If you are fortunate enough to spot a good M59, having No grenade launcher, there is no gas valve to deal with (no typical Yugo corrosion).
The advantage is crystal clear.

The bores in both of my nice rifles Look like they are chrome-lined, because the rifles never had the grenade launchers wanted by the Serbian or Kroatian armies/militias, and therefore remained stored in cosmoline.

How did SOG (So. Ohio Gun) corporate buyers procure so many?

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 12, 2014 at 01:03 AM.