The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 28, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
harathor

Competition pistol shooting

Hi, I am thinking about trying some competition pistol shooting and was looking for advice. I would be using a smith and wesson model 65 4" or a model 28 6" for it. Any tips and help would be great. Thank you.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:40 AM   #2
harathor

Sorry i should point out I was thinking action pistol shooting, or anything else for that matter that i could try. I would enjoy any tips, tricks, and information that anyone can share.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:57 AM   #3
MrBorland

Sweet. Look for IDPA, USPSA or ICORE matches in your area. IDPA has a 4" barrel limit (4.2" actually), so your M65 would be your IDPA gun.

As far as equipment, if you've a holster, speedloaders & holders, go shoot a local match with it. If you decide you want to stick with it, get a kydex holster & speedloader holders, and some CompIII or JetLoader speedloaders. ICORE and USPSA stages tend to be longer, requiring more speedloaders & ammo to shoot, so gear-wise, IDPA is the easiest to get into.

Finally, depending on where you live, there may be other action matches available. One local venue hosts a monthly "fun" match - IDPA scoring, but shot "freestyle" (i.e. run what'cha brung and no rules about cover, concealment, etc). We also have ZSA matches around here - also freestyle and run what'cha brung. Challenging & lots of fun.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:57 AM   #4
zincwarrior

What McBorland said.

1. You can search the IDPA Site (I'm sure its the same for others) for local matches and clubs. Also a generic internet serach will show local clubs and events.

2. Check them out. Tell them you're interested and the club/match will tag you along or make you enter and will be gentle in affirming rules etc. At least in Texas its a very friendly sport.

3. When you start, remember, there will be people there who have been doing this for years. Competition shooting is like golf. Although there's always natural talent, time and practice matter. Don't compare yourself to the excellent shooters. Instead watch what they do and try to incorporate their best practices into yours. Always gaggle at the far out old fart who would make Annie Oakley look like a baby.

4. WEAR COMFORTABLE FOOTWEAR!
Old January 29, 2013, 09:32 AM   #5
kraigwy

Use the '65, the Model 28 is too heavy and will slow you down. Also get some comp III speed loaders.

I do quite a bit of pistol competition using at revolver. I found my Model 64 is accurate enough and much faster then my Model 28.

Nothing against the 28, I love mine, I was issued it when I hired out in LE and was allowed to keep it when I retired. Its a better all around revolver but I'm much faster with my Model 64.

The exception is Bowling pins. Speed, as far as getting it out of the holster isn't that critical here, but the heavier weight makes keeping it on target easier with the heavy 357 rounds I use on pins.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 29, 2013, 01:53 PM   #6
harathor

Thanks for the information. I have been looking on the internent have not finding all that much in Washington State, where I live. I have done a good amount of fencing and completely agree with and understand the not comparing myself to others, just want to go have fun.
I was trying to find the rules on holsters, and I think mine will work as it covers the trigger and holds the revolver securely, is there anything else i should look at in that area at this point? Along with that how many speed loaders/speed strips should I have for it? I have a good number for my model 36 snub nose but that may be a bad idea as far as accuracy goes at this point lol, and I do much better with the K and N frame.
Once again thank you for all the information.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7
RickB

http://www.nwppa-idpa.com/
Check out the forum, where you will find folders for all of the clubs in the western part of the state. There's a club in Spokane.
USPSA is easier to find across the state. The clubs in the Seattle area are part of the Northwest Section. http://northwestsection.org/
Old January 29, 2013, 03:56 PM   #8
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by harathor
how many speed loaders/speed strips should I have for it? I have a good number for my model 36 snub nose but that may be a bad idea as far as accuracy goes at this point lol, and I do much better with the K and N frame.
Use your 4" M65. You can use your M36 if you want, but accuracy aside, you'll be severely handicapped with it's 5-shot capacity. Most find their first match humbling, but fun, too. Too much of the former, and too little of the latter might leave a bad taste in your mouth.

For IDPA, I'd recommend a minimum of 3 speedloaders. Put 2 of them in front of your holster, and the 3rd on your weak side, behind your waist's centerline. You can load loose rounds at the line, or use a 4th speedloader that's kept in your vest pocket. Since the max mandatory minimum round count in IDPA is 18 (and those are rare), it's unlikely you'll ever need the 3rd loader on your weak side, but it's nice to have on one of those long stages if all goes to Hell.

Round counts in ICORE & USPSA stages are typically higher - up to 36 or so, so I'd recommend a minimum of 7 speedloaders & holders.

BTW, as far as holders, if you need to buy some, be aware that IDPA mandates the body of the speedloader has to be covered, so Safariland holders aren't IDPA-legal. Popular kydex holders that can be used in all 3 include BladeTech, ReadyTac, and North Mountain.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:31 AM   #9
Viper225

I personally do not care for Kydex Holsters. I have been using a Lobo Enhanced Pancake for my 4" 64.
I just got my 686-5 completed. I have an Enhanced Avenger on order for it.
http://www.lobogunleather.com/

The best source for Safariland Comp III Speed Loaders is the Speed Loader Store. Free Shipping. I have 10 each for both my K and L Frame revolvers.
http://www.speedloaderstore.com/

Not being totally happy with the selection or price on Kydex Speedloader Pouches on the market, I have started to make my own Kydex Pouches.

The Midway Rectangular Pistol Case has magazine slots for 7 magazines. Guess what the Safariland Comp III speedloaders fit in them just fine, even loaded.

For ammunition I reload using 4.7 grains of Unique under a 158 Round Nose. That is well over the new IDPA 105 Power Factor. A consideration is Steel Knock Down Targets. The 4.7 load takes over steel just fine. The steel is supposed to be calibrated to go down with the 105 pop gun load. In real life the steel might get out of calibration when set up on uneven ground. Especially with new help resetting the steel.

Bob
Old January 30, 2013, 03:38 AM   #10
harathor

for a speed loader holders how would leather work, as I have a friend how can make them for me cheep? Also are speed strips ok to use, I know they are not any where near as fast, but saving a bit of money can be nice at this point. Thanks everyone the information has been great.
I was wondering if there was anything going on in Central Washington.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:48 AM   #11
MrBorland

Quote:
for a speed loader holders how would leather work, as I have a friend how can make them for me cheep?
I don't see why they wouldn't work. Note, though, AFAIK, another IDPA rule is that any retention system on a holster must be used if present, so check to see if that applies to speedloader holders, too. If so, and if you're going to have custom leather holders made, and they'll be for competition, rather than carry, I'd recommend having them made without a retention strap over the top. Something akin to the Ready Tacs in the top pic, rather than something like the one in the bottom pic. Keeping them snug in a leather holder without a retention strap might be a challenge, though.

BTW, I've seen speedloader holders made out of PVC, which might be another affordable alternative.

Quote:
Also are speed strips ok to use, I know they are not any where near as fast, but saving a bit of money can be nice at this point.
Speed strips are ok to use, but as you already know, not nearly as fast as a speedloader. If that's what you have, use them for now.

Quote:
I was wondering if there was anything going on in Central Washington.
I'd go to the homepages of IDPA, ICORE and/or USPSA and search for affiliated clubs in your area. Or go to local gun shops and/or ranges and ask what's available in your area.

Old February 2, 2013, 02:53 AM   #12
harathor

so right now i use a lot of smith and wesson revolvers but was thinking about trying a Colt as I am left handed and the pull style is a bit faster for me. What do you all think, as at some point I want to have a few of each
Old February 2, 2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Ken O

Don't buy anything right now. Find out what matches are available in your area, and show up with what you have. The only thing you need is a holster that covers the trigger, and some mags, and of course the ear and eye protection.

Everything else you will find out when you shoot. What works for USPSA, doesn't always work for IDPA. No sense spending money until you know.

I don't know of a match director that wouldn't let you shoot what you have the first time, unless it was a safety factor.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:04 PM   #14
harathor

Any tips on good shooting glasses and the like as I do not have any at this time. And all of this information has been great and very helpful thank you everyone.