The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Spike0544

First Concealed Carry

I am looking to purchase my first concealed carry. I would like a compact 9mm but past that I am not sold on anything. I really just don't like the Glock look. I realize it is a tool but I want to like it. I am used to 1911's so something that would give me a similar feel would be nice. I am not really interested in sub compacts either. I have large hands and would like to be able to wrap all of my fingers around the grip. Models I have looked at are the CZ 75 compact, springfield xdm, bretta px4 storm and the glock 19. I like the look of the CZ, the Springfield looks like the grip is too short for me, I haven't read the best things on the bretta, and like I said I'm not really into the Glock. I would appreciate any suggestions. I am trying to stay in the $400-600 range. Just thought of it, do any Sigs fit the bill?
Old January 28, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
dayman

Are you set on something double stacked?
Otherwise you could look at a commander sized 9mm 1911.
The Springfield EMP is also basically a 1911.
In the double stack category, SIG's IMhO tend to be closer to the aesthetic of the 1911 than the black plastic guns - particularly the SS & wood handle versions. They do tend to cost a bit however.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Spike0544

I'm not set on a double stacked. Is there a 1911 style compact that you would recommend that falls in my price range? I choose the guns listed in my original posts purely based on what I have read in other forums.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Spike0544

I'm not really finding any 1911 style 9mm in that price range. Any thoughts on the above mentioned?
Old January 28, 2013, 10:09 PM   #5
dcvyn

Try taurus they have a few in the size and price you're looking for.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:12 PM   #6
BGutzman

Look at Bersa... much better brand than Taurus and in the same price range... Bersa has several models that might fight your needs.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:00 PM   #7
dcvyn

Go to a local dealer and see what fits most comfortable in your hand and wallet.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:45 AM   #8
dayman

I assume your price range is around $700?
A lot pf people - the ones that own them - seem to really like RIA for carry size 1911's, and they'd be inside your budget.
If you don't mind looking at used there are a lot of options there too. The Sig 228 (or p6) can be had for under $500, and is a single stack 9 with a decent sized handle.
Or if you're in a state that still allows private sales, a lot of people seem to be selling a lot of stuff on the cheap to fund guns they think might be banned.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:30 AM   #9
bigghoss

Check out the M&P. I'm told they have a grip angle similar to a 1911. Never really paid that close attention the few times I've held them but they do have a good reputation for dependability.
Old January 29, 2013, 09:15 AM   #10
wbw

Ruger SR9c. It comes with two mags, one that holds 10 with a pinky extension, and the other probably holds about 15. I paid $450 for mine new, but they can probably be gotten for less. It's striker fired so there is only one weight of trigger pull. It's a real nice pistol for the money. Made in USA.

Old January 29, 2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Tucker 1371

Why not carry a 1911? I'm 5'6" and 145lbs and the size and weight don't bother me, with the right holster it conceals just fine and I wear a small or medium shirt. Here's my rig

OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 29, 2013, 11:47 AM   #12
TailGator

Quote:
I haven't read the best things on the bretta
I don't know what you have read about the Beretta PX-4, but I have heard precious little bad said about it. My daughter has the compact, and declares it to be her favorite among all the pistols she has used. It impresses me, as well, with accuracy, reliability, and fit and finish. If you like what you feel when you handle it and shoot it, I wouldn't let a keyboard jockey talk you out of it.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:52 AM   #13
dcvyn

In my experience the cz-75 handles well but I prefer the made in USA stamp on a pistol.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:52 PM   #14
915A

Ruger SR9c, S&W M&P 9c, Sig P250 or 2022?
Old January 29, 2013, 01:53 PM   #15
gundog5

My wife and I both carry xdm 40s. We have put several thousand rounds through them with no jams. They are easy to break down and clean. In addition, we use the short 10 round mags when traveling and switch to the large mag for home defence. My son has the ruger sr40 and it also has a great feel and shoots well. I have found that the larger clip while it fills my hand is not as concilled as the short clip.
Old January 29, 2013, 02:29 PM   #16
erhodes

If you are going to be using this gun for concealed carry I would recommend going with something that will always work. In this category I would put glocks first then xdm's and walther ppq. 1911's can be good as well but you usually have to pay and get one from a good company such as springfield, colt, kimber, or sig. I would stay away, far away, from anything with taurus, bersa, or kel tec on the gun.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:34 PM   #17
Sheriff Gotcha

Of what you listed I would say go with the XDm.... that being said I am looking at a G19 for my own personal carry weapon.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:47 PM   #18
h2otoo

Good luck finding much of anything in this market. I have a full size RIA 1911 9, and really love it. I believe they make a compact. I also like the M&P, full size and compact. Have both and prefer the compact for carry. I picked up the "TALO" model, comes with a 12 & 17 rd mag. Sweet.

Lots of good firearms to choice from. Find what feels good and go with it.

Bob
Old January 30, 2013, 06:38 AM   #19
Spike0544

I got my hands on a Kimber Ultra Carry II today. It felt great and still only has a 3" barrel. I think something like this would be worth spending a little extra cash.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:04 AM   #20
dayman

One thing to be careful of with 3" 1911's is that they do have a reputation for being somewhat finicky. I've never owned one personally, but the consensus seems to be that they can be hit or miss. I have had fantastic luck with Kimber - as have all the people I personally know who've had them - but there again you have a reputation of hit or miss - both with QC and CS. I'm definitely not telling you not to get it, but just be aware of what you're getting. I'd probably try to buy it from a place that will let you shoot it first - if that's possible. Chances are it will function perfectly, but it probably has a higher than average chance of needing a tuning.
Another gun that you might want to look at is the XDs. It's only available in .45 at the moment (9mm and .40 are coming out soon), but - with the peirce pinky extension - it's the perfect size for CCW in my mind, and it was specifically designed as a subcompact. It's not nearly as sexy as the Kimber, but mine's been perfectly reliable, and I have yet to hear about any issues with them. It's not an issue for me because I just keep it IWB (out of sight, and frequently wet with sweat) but you said you were looking for something that looks a little more classic.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:03 AM   #21
edfrompa

I carry a CZ 75 po1, why? Because it is very reliable and comfortable to carry. Precision made firearm. Not made in the USA, but neither is my Honda.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:18 AM   #22
flgunguy

i carry an xdm 3.8 compact 45 acp, in a desantis pro stealth. i live in FL year 'round, and i wear shorts and sandals and walk on the beach w/ it. special attire is not needed. i can not say the same for carrying my full size 1911.

for comparison's sake i also own a sig p229, glock 23, cz rami, springfield gov't 1911, & hk usp 9mm. i carry the xdm daily. wife carries the hk. everything else collects dust quite frankly.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:21 AM   #23
Xfire68

Check out the CZ P07 Duty.
Old January 31, 2013, 04:15 AM   #24
RadioFlyer8

I carry a Kahr K9 for IWB. I also have a CZ 75 for OWB carry. I honestly couldn't carry the 75 IWB or the 75 compact either, I'm a smaller person though.

If you can manage the size, the 75 compact is a great gun. You'll need some extra money left over for some Meprolights to put on it.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:36 AM   #25
loose_holster_dan

for a first time carrier, i recommend something small in single stack. i'm not talking pocket gun, just something slim and easy to conceal. the biggest enemy to concealed carry is the gun that isn't comfortable to carry.

having carried for a few years, i still only carry double stacks about half of the time. they just aren't as comfortable or as easy to conceal. if i am going to carry a double stack, it's almost always a polymer. they are just a little bit thinner than the steel guns.

in your price range, i definitely recommend the walther pps. it is usually my gun of choice when i'm going to be carrying all day (comfort), or when i'm going to be the center of attention (concealability).

if you can find one (rare, especially in your price range) the hk p7 psp is quite literally the best concealed carry gun in its size. it is extremely accurate and extremely easy to be proficient with. it is the also the safest pistol ever made. it's unique squeeze-cocking action is the key. its one drawback is its weight. being a steel pistol originally designed decades ago, it is nowhere near as light as the polys of today. given a good holster and solid, double-stitched belt, you won't even notice the weight.

a cheaper option for single-stack is the kahr line. they have a couple nice pistols for relatively cheap. i wouldn't choose the smallest, as it will be hard to hold onto, but the second one up is a great size for iwb carry.

if you're sure you want a double stack, you can't go wrong with a walther ppq or ruger sr9c. i personally choose the walther ppq, since my other carry is the pps. it just keeps familiarity of operation. the sr9c is one of the most accurate compact guns i've ever shot in that price range. it is one of the best values on the market. i have a cz 75d compact (pcr) as well. it's a great little gun, but for some reason, it is very uncomfortable to carry iwb (at least on the hip). i think it's the shape of the mag baseplate. it always seems to dig into my love handles.

the one sig option even worth looking at in that price range is an sp2022. i had one and didn't much care for it. the trigger reach was far too short to be comfortable in my hands. other people swear by them. if you decide to go this route, pm me. i have a really nice iwb holster for sale the p250 is a waste of time.

stay far far away from any taurus or the s&w sigma or sd lines.

while bersa makes a great 380, i was less than impressed with the rest of their weapons.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Last edited by loose_holster_dan; January 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM.