The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 03:56 PM   #26
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Actually, I would be ok with a SAO for home defense - I have a kid (she's well schooled on gun etiquette and safety), so I'd keep the safety on and the hammer down, but have a round in the chamber.
Not always an option. 1911s don't allow you to engage the safety unless the hammer is cocked. And SA guns aren't designed for you to lower the hammer manually on a chambered round....that (to me) is an accident waiting to happen.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:48 PM   #27
Skans

Quote:
Not always an option. 1911s don't allow you to engage the safety unless the hammer is cocked. And SA guns aren't designed for you to lower the hammer manually on a chambered round....that (to me) is an accident waiting to happen.
Yes, this is true. If I recall, my STI LS40 will permit you to engage the safety with the hammer down - but it's a odd-duck for a 1911 type gun.

With 1911's my left index finger is the "decocker". I insert my finger between the hammer and the gun, pinching the hammer with my finger and thumb, and then pull the trigger. I safely guide the hammer down. I do make sure that my muzzle is safely pointed. This works for me.

Now, before anyone says how dumb I am for doing this all wrong, I have one question for them to ponder: What's the point of having a hammer on a 1911; one that has serrations so that it can be easily cocked? Remember, cocking the hammer means that somehow that hammer got into the uncocked position - how do you think that happened?