The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Glock or Sig sauer
Glock 76 60.80%
sig sauer 49 39.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22, 2013, 05:42 PM   #51
tristar viper

And I have to make a correction. The G30 is 23.9 not 24.9.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:59 PM   #52
dgludwig

Correction? My source for the weight specification for the Model G 30 is from Glock's 2012 catalog: "Weight without magazine 23.80 ounces; magazine weight 2.50 ounces." The SIG catalog describes the Model 220 Carry as weighing 30.4 ounces with magazine (a difference of about four ounces when comparing the weight of the two pistols with empty magazines as previously stated). Just trying to compare apples with apples.
Old January 22, 2013, 07:43 PM   #53
tristar viper

My correction....I had originally posted that the G30 was 24.9, but then saw on the Glock website it was 23.9. Assumed (because it didn't say otherwise) that it meant with an empty mag.
But lets compare the 9mm's like I shoot and carry:

Glock 19 - about 23 oz with mag.
Sig 229 - 32 oz with mag.

Two similar sized guns, with a huge weight discrepancy. This is what I was referring to with my original post. Sigs are generally just plain heavy. And there's nothing wrong with that, some people prefer it. But I don't prefer it when it's me carrying it.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:48 PM   #54
Single Six

The blued Sig P220 I mentioned earlier did have Hogues on it, so the trigger return spring issue I mentioned might have been attributed to that. But, the Sig P220ST I now have broke it's trigger return spring in the first year of use...and while it also had Hogue grips, it came that way as issued. Maybe someone at Sig didn't read the directions or use that little piece. All I know is, none of my other guns have had any critical parts break because I changed the grips...or for any other reason, for that matter.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:51 PM   #55
g20gunny

Sig doesn't make a 10mm
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." --George Washington
Old January 22, 2013, 09:58 PM   #56
AK103K

Quote:
What does a Sig do better than a Glock?
Removes the extra money in your wallet, for the gun and its accessories.

I was a big SIG fan for a number of years. At one point, I had 18 of them. These days, I have 2. I sold off the other 16 and bought Glocks to replace them.

Its not that SIG's shoot or work better than Glocks, or vice versa, for me, it was more a matter of economics and commonality of mags and holsters across the caliber family, than anything else. I just find I get more for my money with the Glocks than I did with the SIG's.

Another issue with the SIG's is, while they have gone up in price, they didnt hold their value as well as I would have hoped. Unlike my HK's and Colts (I made money with them, in some cases, double or more when I sold them), I didnt even recover what I paid for the SIG's when I sold them. Not that I expect to break even with the Glocks either.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:03 PM   #57
Diesel9

Sometimes a Glock 19, sometimes a Sig P238, and sometimes a Colt's Govt. Model.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:24 PM   #58
BGutzman

Why do Sigs cost what they do? Because that is what the market will bear. If the market though Glocks had equal value then they would sell at the same price point... Economics 101

It is the buyers that determine at what point something sells, not the seller. What Glock did do is flood the market with a cheap and reliable weapon. People are invested in what they buy especially once the price starts to go up. Glocks biggest weakness is they seem to have lost all ability to innovate. Pick almost any other brand and they offer more options whatever they may be and quite often they produce weapons that do not all look alike.

The common saying is "build the Glock". Why? If its great then why? Never heard someone say "build the Sig" The truth is that its a competent weapon, hardly perfection. Still they have some of the best advertising in the business.. Want to look like a cop or a gangbanger, get a Glock, its a self selling theme.

My esteemed friend AK103 is right, you can buy more Glocks for the same price as most Sigs... Guns are about personal choice, hold the two in your hand and compare. a Glock may well be the functional equal, it is not however considered so by the price the market bears. Something intrinsic lets the Sig in general demand a much higher price. In the end all that matters is if your happy with your purchase... If so then it must be good enough.

Last edited by BGutzman; January 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:59 PM   #59
AK103K

Quote:
In the end all that matters is if your happy with your purchase... If so then it must be good enough.
That pretty much sums it up.

Pick either or, and what ever youre most comfortable with, and shoot best with, then thats probably the gun for you, as long as price doesnt become an issue.

As far as "cost" goes, I think Glock has an edge there, because they have kept things pretty simple and basic, where SIG has tried to expand their line with all the different variations of each model. All that R&D, market research and tooling is going to cost money, and SIG isnt going to pay for it. Glock just keeps chugging along with what has been working for them, and it seems to continue to work for them.

Dollar for dollar, Ill bet Glock still makes more money per gun than SIG, even though they cost less at the counter.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:10 PM   #60
Dragline45

Sig has left a bad taste in my mouth. Lately their fit and finish are not keeping up to par with their price tag. To make things worse, and I am not the only one who had this experience, when pointing out flaws in their fit and finish they more often than not will tell you that's normal and they will not fix it under warranty. If you do happen to need work done on your Sig past warranty date or if you bought it used, expect to pay top dollar. Most gun companies I have had to deal with for repairs tried to help me out as much as possible with repair costs, and more often than not would ship me parts free of cost without me even asking. Sig customer service on the other hand was a nightmare and they tried to take me for every penny they could. I ended up doing the work myself for a quarter of the price, and judging by Sig's finish work I wouldn't trust them to do a decent job anyway. If they dropped their price tag I wouldn't be so upset about their lack of detail to fit and finish on current production guns.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:02 AM   #61
RBid

By role...

Better CCW?
Better home defense?
Better LE service choice?
Better military service choice?

Yeah. Trick questions. "Pick one".
Old January 23, 2013, 04:13 AM   #62
MRL21

Work issues me a Glock 22. Just got a gen 4 which I have and hate to admit I kinda like. Not the best but with the big backstrap I can avoid hitting the slide stop during shooting.

I only own and carry Sigs when its on my dime. A P245 is my everyday since my lady took over the P232...
Old January 23, 2013, 05:51 AM   #63
tristar viper

I Like my 226 OK, but I really think I may sell it, or trade it for an H&K USP. Less and less do I care for heavy metal guns, and to be honest I think the USP has a nicer trigger and is more accurate and I had a much easier time putting very tight groups together with it, even the first time I shot it.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:01 AM   #64
mikepd

I think this type of question comes down to personal preference.

As for me, I carry a Glock G-23. Though I would like to try a Sig just to see how it compares.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:17 AM   #65
thedudeabides

Accuracy? 40 cal P229 by a narrow margin.

Weight? G29 by a narrow margin.

Size? G29 by a narrow margin.

Comfort? G29 by a narrow margin (striker fired, no hammer).

Thickness in holster? P229 by a narrow margin.

Capacity? P229 by a narrow margin.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:35 AM   #66
coltshooter89

I voted sig because i really like sig. But i carry a colt 70 series government model! Just something about a hundred year old unchanged design that goes bang everytime makes me feel safe when carrying! Lol
Old January 23, 2013, 06:51 AM   #67
Officer's Match

Glock because they are great, functional pistols. I have never liked Sigs and have never understood all the hype about them. Way too tall in the hand (bore axis) and controls in odd places. Just not my cup of tea.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:59 AM   #68
treg

Sig vs. Glock? I'll take the Glock.

- first and foremost, Glocks fit my hand better and shoot better for me.
- Glock aftermarket parts are more prolific.
- various Glock models have high parts interchangeability rates.
- Glock CS is better (my impression - it is what it is)
- I've seen a Sig suffer mechanical failure and stop working which left a bad impression on me.
- Glocks are better looking.

Not a Glock fanboy, kool-aide drinker or owner. I just can't bring myself to "like" Sig pistols even though many do.

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:09 PM   #69
Viper99

Actually some days I carry my G27 and some other days I carry my P239.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:17 PM   #70
blfuller

Depending on the weather and ease of concealment, I carry either a Glock 19, SIG P220 or a Smith & Wesson scandium frame .357 snub. The colder it is the bigger the gun.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:10 PM   #71
wpsdlrg

Sig Sauer. At least, when I'm not carrying my Smith and Wesson, Beretta or Stoeger, that is.

Can't stand Glocks.