The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2013, 10:54 PM   #26
EO480

I shoot a rebareled Win. Model 70 in 260 Rem. I would much rather own this than the 243 that I had before. Great bullet selection varmits, deer or targets. Moderate recoil, all day fun.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:30 AM   #27
sc928porsche

No need to justify staying with the 260. If you like that chambering, then stay with it.

If you dont like the stock that is on it, get an aftermarket. You can always shorten the LOP.

Since you are having problems "getting down" on the scope, some higher scope rings might be in order.

If you do not care for the Matte finish on your rifle, you can spend some time on the polishing wheel and put a high polish on the metal with rubbing and then polishing compound. This takes a lot of time and one of the biggest reasons that having a rifle hot tank blued is expensive. If you do the polishing, then a smith will tank if for you for a reasonable amount.

Remember, you can put as little or as much as you like into getting the rifle the way you want it.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:55 AM   #28
steveNChunter

Quote:
No need to justify staying with the 260
I think this thread has very well justified staying with the .260 for his needs. It's even got me wanting one, and if I can get ahold of a bolt with a .470 face for my Ruger M77 MKII currently chambered .223, I might just re-barrel it with a .260 rem
Old January 22, 2013, 10:44 AM   #29
Mr. Whimsy

Thumbhole stocks seem to fit me well, and if I don't get a Model 7, it's another option.

Concern is this: how difficult would it be to cut down a Boyd's laminated thumbhole stock? Any different than cutting down a typical wood stock, or would I ruin it? Don't know that I'd have to modify it, but am curious as the listed LOP is over 14 inches.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:59 AM   #30
Doyle

Laminate stocks can be cut down just as easily as ordinary wooden stocks. There is a pretty good Larry Potterfield video on Youtube for how to cut down a stock and fit a recoil pad.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:39 PM   #31
Mr. Whimsy

I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up.

I have been wondering about picking up a Howa 6.5x55 barreled action and then getting a Boyd's featherweight thumbhole stock for it. I have no idea if this would require fitting.

Or perhaps I might get a stainless Ruger Hawkeye Ultra-Light in 7mm-08 (once again, not available in .260) and putting a Boyd's on it if needed.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:30 PM   #32
steveNChunter

That 6.5x55 Howa sounds like a great idea. I own a Howa myself and its a great gun for the money IMO. Or in any price range for that matter. If you get a Boyds stock for it, it may require a little dremel tool work for proper fitting. I would also suggest having it glass and pillar bedded for a perfect fit and considerably better accuracy. If you dont want to tackle that yourself, expect to pay about $100 for a gunsmith to do it. It will be well worth it. That would bring your total investment to about $600. Still not a bad deal
Old January 23, 2013, 09:41 PM   #33
Txhillbilly

Mr. Whimsy,Have you looked at the 6.5 Creedmoor?
I like the 260 Remington,and have a DPMS LR-260.It's a great shooting rifle,but I just built a bolt action in 6.5 Creedmoor.
If you don't reload,you will find 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo easier/cheaper than 260 Remington.
I handload for all of my guns,so factory ammo is never an issue.

There are several gun makers that offer the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:46 AM   #34
Doyle

Quote:
If you don't reload,you will find 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo easier/cheaper than 260 Remington.
I'll challenge that.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:55 AM   #35
Mr. Whimsy

Thanks for your esteemed counsel on the Boyd's stock.

I did look at the 6.5 Creedmoor but didn't like having only one or two companies producing the brass.

I hate when people do this, but in the midst of my .260 research I got a line on a 35 Remington Marlin 336, another gun I have been wanting. I'm afraid the .260 project might have to wait, as I am seriously tempted....
Old January 24, 2013, 06:11 PM   #36
steveNChunter

I have a .35 rem Marlin 336. I love it and it is my "go to" for close range/brush hunting. Not sure what type of yardage you hunt but if you plan on shooting much over 100 yards your better off with the .260 idea. Not saying the .35 wont shoot past that, deer have been killed with .35's at 300 yards (not by me though) but there is a large difference in velocity and trajectory between the .35 and .260 that will really start to show past 100 yards. The .260 will serve alot better than the .35 as a "do all" hunting rifle.

BTW- the .260 rem is older, wiser and better than the 6.5 creedmore