The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1
tonymazz

Cleaning a Henry Big Boy 44 mag

Ok so reading the manual it says doing some basic cleaning, patches down the barrel is ok....no dis-assembly required...

For those of you that own a Henry....seriously...do you take the stock off pull the brass cover and start tapping out parts to clean.... that's like 30 parts...or do you simply run a bore snake through or rod / patches, general clean up of the fouling, q-tips etc and keep the thing assembled...

I have seen on the Henry sight a couple of cleaning video's but I am not looking at taken this thing down each time....strip screws, scratch etc etc.....

Thank you for your guidance.....
Old January 21, 2013, 12:56 AM   #2
alex0535

I would just open the bolt, run a cleaning patch or two through it for basic cleaning.

I don't know if you have tried to take it down but I am pretty sure that if you open the lever and unscrew the screw holding it in place it will come out and after that you can remove the bolt by pulling it out of where it sits.

With the bolt out you can more easily clean the bolt and it lets you get at more of the insides with a q-tip for a more thorough cleaning.

Unless the gun starts to malfunction or something of that nature I wouldn't take it down further very often. Maybe just every few months to yearly depending on how much it got shot. Maybe just once to get a sense of how it works, I appreciated the action of the Marlin 336 when I took it apart but it is a whole lot less pieces than 30.

Last edited by alex0535; January 21, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Tom Matiska

I suspect the cleaning video you saw was for the rimfire Henry. Removing the "brass cover" from your BigBoy may be a trick.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:55 PM   #4
tonymazz

Guess I should "READ THE MANUAL" ...... well I will post in case anyone has a similar question....:

HOW TO CLEAN YOUR HENRY BIG BOY RIFLE

You do not have to disassemble this rifle in order to clean it sufficiently
and to keep it operating properly.

In order to clean it, we suggest that you first open the action by swinging the
lever down. Use a brand name rifle cleaning kit and run the cleaning rod down
the bore from the muzzle end toward the breech. Wipe the bolt clean of any
debris with solvent and a patch or small rag. Spray the bolt with some gun oil.

If you prefer to take your rifle apart to clean it, then we suggest the
following:

Open the action by swinging the lever down.
Remove the lever screw and then remove the lever. Next, remove the bolt from the receiver.

Note: This will loosen the ejector inside the receiver, so be very careful not
to misplace it. You can then remove the ejector from the slot on the left side
of the receiver. Use a brand name rifle cleaning kit and clean the bore from
the breech end. Then clean the bolt and oil it before replacing.

To reassemble, simply do the reverse remembering not to over-tighten the lever screw.
Old July 20, 2016, 03:03 PM   #5
drsrjoe

Cleaning a Henry Big Boy

Patch or bore snake through the barrel, then remove the stock and squirt Gunscrubber or brake clean into the action until it comes out clear, stand up to allow excess to drip out and the action to dry, finally squirt some spray Rem oil into the action and work the lever. This method works very well on Henrys and Rossis.
Old July 21, 2016, 03:06 PM   #6
Bill Daniel

Cleaning a Henry

I clean my Henry 45-70 the same as my bolt rifle. Remove the lever, bolt and ejector and clean from the breech. I place a wad of paper towel over her action to prevent getting crud in it and remove it before I replace the ejector, bolt and lever.
All the best,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903