The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 03:52 AM   #26
Apom

The 2nd amendment clearly states that people have the right to bear arms... including idiots. So whats the problem? No gun control is exactly that. Anarchy.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:09 PM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
More people owning them is just fine, they all got a background check, right?
Nope. Many buy at gun shows. I've never seen a credible study proving that this is a problem, much less one so significant as to require legislation.

Quote:
What I meant was, that since the number of new gun owners is up, the number of accidents and idiots will be up, also.
That would be a reasonable conclusion, but it's actually not true. I'll have to do some digging for hard numbers, but the number of accidental injuries and fatalities involving firearms has steadily declined.

From the NRA:

Quote:
Since 1930, the annual number of such deaths has decreased 80%, to an all-time low, while the U.S. population has more than doubled and the number of firearms has quintupled. Among children, such deaths have decreased 90% since 1975.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:31 PM   #28
anothernewb

for me, while the lack of ammo and firearms locally has been a major bummer. and I know prices will increase to cover the shortened supply - One thing that has been a major benefit is the number of people joining our local gun club. True, the range is more packed than ever - but the other side of the equation is that we are getting an influx of moneys available to the club. Those have been used to purchase some long needed upgrades, and additional land for a larger outdoor range.