The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2013, 02:03 PM   #26
Metal god

Ok I got a follow up on this question .

You all are saying that 20 , 30 and even 50 year old primers and in some cases powders all work fine and go bang .

Have any of you used a chronograph with the old stuff then loaded the same specs of new production and did a chrono test of that for comparison

Here is my thought , sure they go bang but maybe the 30 year old primers don't ignite the powder as well as the new ones . meaning a 30 year old mag rifle prime really only works like a standard large rifle primer now and does not burn the same as when it was new .
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old

Last edited by Metal god; January 23, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:26 PM   #27
wncchester

I don't yet know how long primers last, old ones or new. I do still have a few WWII surplus small pistol primers that work quite well, and a few Remington rifle primers from the mid-60s that work fine. Without some record of failures I have no way to say how much longer they may be good for but I'm 72 now and don't figger I'll live long enough to know.

I do know newer primers are a LOT less likely to be bothered with oil than the really old ones but I don't know how or when manufactors made the change. I get a chuckle from time to time when someone posts his fears of decapping live primers and some arm chair expert says to give 'em a spritz of WD-40, etc, and push 'em out; it's not dangerous to do so but they sure won't be killing many primers that way!
Old January 22, 2013, 02:36 PM   #28
emcon5

I got a bunch of old reloading components from a guy getting out of shooting, that included some primers and powder from (I think) the 60s and 70s, documented in this thread.

Everything I have loaded works fine, so far at least (I used some of the CCI LR primers from the green/white sleeve).

I may try the chrono thing, pretty sure I have a couple of old cans and new cans of the same powder. The ancient primers I used are CCI, unfortunately I don't have any new production CCIs to compare.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:39 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

I've got a can of Unique that looks almost exactly like that, except it has "lock" tab on it.

-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:49 PM   #30
Magnum Wheel Man

^^^ whats a gallery rifle ???
Old January 22, 2013, 02:57 PM   #31
jimbob86

I loaded and shot some of those W-W "Staynless" primers, and they functioned just fine- velocity average was within 20 f/sec of load developed with WLR primers out of a blue box .....

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 22, 2013, 03:27 PM   #32
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Been reloading well over 40 I believe. Try to reload all my shells for the year during the winter time. (less humidity) Never have had any powder spoil or encounter faulty older primers that I purchased in bulk years ago. The only bad center-fire primers I've ever encountered were a component used by Federal Cartridge years ago. Duds I encountered almost every other shell in a box of 30-30s during the late 1950s. Since that time the worse powder or primer mixture I ran into belonged to those little 22 cal bullets. Seems like whatever is used in the making of 22s their powder or priming mixture has always had a relativity short shelf life when compared to the larger center fires.
Old January 22, 2013, 03:37 PM   #33
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal God
Right now I have 2k winchester large rifle primers and 2k wolf small rifle primers .
That's good stuff. The SR primers can do double duty for most small pistol applications if you stay away from max powder charges. They may not ignite reliably if you've had action work that lightens the hammer strike.

I wouldn't use the Wolf SR primers for AR type rifles as they are more prone to perforating than the Wolf SRM or 556 primers.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:03 AM   #34
Metal god

Quote:
I wouldn't use the Wolf SR primers for AR type rifles as they are more prone to perforating than the Wolf SRM or 556 primers.
Well that hurts my feelers cus I bought the wolf SR primers for my AR loads . My ARs are the only small rifle cartridges I have .

What are Wolf SRM or 556 ? I have not seen this term yet but I really just started buying and looking for these things .
As of this date 8-18-14 at 6:42am I became a proud grandfather I guess I'm officially old
Old January 23, 2013, 06:55 AM   #35
Magnum Wheel Man

SRM = small rifle magnum... I don't buy Wolf brand primers, or really remember everyone elses number system, so someone else will have to tackle that one...
Old January 23, 2013, 08:38 AM   #36
Rimfire5

My primers are never around long enough for me to determine their shelf life, but I suspect that the shelf life will be well over 50 years.

Quote:
Whats a good all around rifle powder I can load 223 and 308 with ?
+1 on H4895

I have used about 25 lbs of it for my .223 and my .308 with great results.
On my CZ 527 .223 with a 1:9 twist, H4895 is the most accurate powder for bullets above 52 grains. For 52 grain bullets and below H335 is just slightly more accurate but H4895 is still accurate enough to shoot groups under 0.4 inches on average at 100 yards. I think with the lighter loads using H335, the measured charges are a bit more consistent because the fine grain H335 meters just a bit better. The difference in accuracy is in the hundredths of an inch and is reliably compared with samples of more than 20 groups.

On my Savage 10FP .308, H4895 was my most accurate powder until I tried N140. Even then, the H4895 still averages under 0.5 inches with its best 25 loads.