The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Bilbro Swaggins

M&P 9 - best pistol for me?

I am interested in buying my first 9mm pistol and have pretty much settled on the M&P. I love the feel of the pistol and have held most of its close competitors, which haven't quite fit me as well. Also, I am a lefty, so the ambidextrous controls work well for me. To even further emphasize my M&P love, I own the .22lr version.

The problem is that I have read a number of disturbing reports about inaccuracy. I can live with the trigger being mediocre, but do not want to spend my money on something that shoots inaccurately or has design flaws. Are these problems hyped? How well does S&W customer service deal with faulty guns?

I am open to other options, but please keep in mind I am left handed and do not have large hands. Also, I am looking for something full sized, I have no interest in using the gun for carry. Also, and don't hate me for this, but please do not suggest a glock or xd, I have held both and just couldn't warm up to either.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
915A

I read the same about the FS M&P 9mm, but I also read a ton of good. Can you rent one to test it out? Did you look at the SR9? There is a ton of options, and if your not opposed to used, you can find some good deals. I know the Sig P226/229 will come up as a good recommendation. I shot the .40 P226 and it was amazing!
Old January 21, 2013, 01:46 PM   #3
jasmith85

I wouldn't know on the accuracy of the 9 but the 40's are more accurate than I am. S&W also has great customer service.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #4
RamItOne

10 ring all day long for me. If I miss its me not the gun.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 21, 2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Bilbro Swaggins

Thanks for the responses so far. I have tried shooting an SR9, and while I liked it and it shot well, I didn't love it. I'll be the first to admitt, I'm very picky when it comes to erganomics. As far as Sig goes, I am looking for something a little more moderately priced (500-650 if possible).

Anyone know how S&W handles a pistol that suffers from barrel unlocking problems?
Old January 21, 2013, 02:00 PM   #6
jasmith85

Quote:
As far as Sig goes, I am looking for something a little more moderately priced (500-650 if possible).
It would be at your high end price wise but if you're willing to wait you might be able to get a new Sig in that range. I bought my p229 before the gun craze and $650 is what I gave for it before paying the transfer at a local shop.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:03 PM   #7
bigghoss

The M&P has really made a name for itself in a short period of time. With LE agencies adopting them and their reputation for being a weapon you can trust your life to I would expect inaccurate guns to be the exception and not the norm. If you do happen to get a lemon S&W will take care of you.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Bilbro Swaggins

The more i hear, the more tempted I am to just buy the M&P. I did try a Sig 2022 and love it, but couldn't get around the lack of ambi controls.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:31 PM   #9
chris in va

I talked with our club's top shooter that uses an M&P 9. He has thousands through his, and noted a frustrating dropoff in accuracy as of late. I don't know if the barrel has been replaced or if it's been back to the factory.

Have a look at the CZ P01. I can't say enough good things about it, especially with a few minor tweaks. Ergonomics are outstanding.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:36 PM   #10
TacticalDefense1911

The problems aren't hyped but the new M&P have a new barrel design which have fixed some of the barrel lock-up issues the older 9mm guns had. These types of accuracy issues are talking about 25 meter groupings; not up close and personal combat shooting. The trigger and the accuracy were the two major knocks on the 9mm M&P. The trigger is an easy fix and apparently now the new barrels are performing much better so I wouldn't hesitate if that is the gun you like.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Bilbro Swaggins

How can I tell if a gun is one of the new models without the barrel problem? Is there a serial number range or something?
Old January 21, 2013, 04:00 PM   #12
ET.

I bought my first M&P two years ago now. I chose the 40s&w with a 5" barrel. I bought a 9mm barrel for it from Storm Lake for range use. I have had zero problems out of that gun. It is the one gun that always goes to the range with me. I bought a Shield to carry because of the reliability of the first one. So far nothing wrong with it either ...except I can't get any spare mags for it ...and I spent too much for it...
Old January 21, 2013, 04:14 PM   #13
max it

M & P pro

hi Bilbao,
My gunny (who is a dead center shooter) himself recommended this one to me. Problem for me here in Cal is that the 5" barrel one is not on the approved list. I would have bought it 'cept for that.
So I got a CZ75B SA instead. It's not my first 9mm. I use them for competition in Steel shooting.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:16 PM   #14
GregInAtl

I would look at the Walther PPQ if I were you. You said ergonomics are high on your list of important qualities. The PPQ is hard to beat for ergonomics. I own one and I also have a Sig 226 and it's a toss up between the two.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Bilbro Swaggins

I have looked at the Walther PPQ and did really like it. The trigger was much nicer than the trigger on the M&P. Isn't the PPQ more similar in size to a compact pistol? (same size as a Glock 19)
Old January 21, 2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Hoosier_Daddy

The Walther PPS is the compact Walther. PPQ is larger.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:18 PM   #17
Bilbro Swaggins

You are correct, I just verified on the website. The PPQ is my definitely my second favorite if I can't feel more confident about the M&P problems getting fixed.

Does anyone know if the newer model M&P's have better triggers/unlocking barrel problem fixed? I had heard that they might be fixed. Is there a way to check in the store if a specific pistol has either of the two problems?
Old January 21, 2013, 09:45 PM   #18
SauerGrapes

Evidently I missed the news letter about the M&Ps'. Maybe it didn't include the pro series model.
If you don't like the M&P trigger, step up to the pro series. It's not perfect, but it's a whole lot better than the duty model.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old January 21, 2013, 09:50 PM   #19
sigarms228

The PPQ could be an outstanding choice for you. Known to be extremely accurate and with a trigger out of the box that absolutely puts the M&P to shame.

Walther is redesigning the PPQ to have the conventional magazine release plus there is now a version with a five inch barrel. That should be full size enough for you. Should be in stores in about a month Walther is saying.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:59 PM   #20
RBid

M&Ps sell very quickly. I rarely have a given copy for a week. Any that you see on a dealer's shelf should be recent production, unless it's a very slow shop or a used piece.

PPQ vs M&P:

- Q has a far better trigger, with a shorter reset. Few shooters will ever become proficient enough to use the difference in reset.

- the Q and the HK P30 are the only poly pistols whose grips feel better to me than the M&P grip.

- the Q tends to be extremely easy for people to shoot accurately, right away... Under slow fire.

- the M&P is a very flat shooter. I find that it's easier to place follow up shots with the M&P. practice with the Q can close the gap, but the M&P makes it easy.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:33 PM   #21
Bilbro Swaggins

It seems to me like it is between the M&P and the PPQ. Do people find the PPQ more accurate even though the barrel is shorter?
Old January 21, 2013, 11:01 PM   #22
RBid

4.1"-4.5" of barrel isn't much of a difference, for me. 3.5"-4" feels like it makes a bigger difference when I shoot.

In slow fire, I shoot the PPQ slightly better. Trigger is the edge. In rapid fire at 5 yards, I group slightly better with the M&P.