The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 03:41 PM   #26
iblong

+1 Walt.
I sold my first glock 3wks after buying it,it did"nt point like my 1911's.
Latter I bought another and gave it a fair chance and have found that
I shoot it in the games better than almost anthing else.and darned near as accuratly at speed as my 1911"s.And now after many rounds down range I find the grip angle a non issue even going back and forth to the 1911.
Old January 18, 2013, 05:00 PM   #27
glockcompact

I wrote this on another thread here a while back. Probably longer winded then it needs to be.

Grip angle vs. Muzzle flip

I too have owned quite a few weapons. First I would say that John M. Browning was way ahead of his time. I think most people that are into handguns would agree with me on that. One of the best features of the 1911 is it’s “grip angle.” I don’t know all the history about how he came up with the angle but I believe it is a natural and relaxed angle for most humans. I believe that if you take a new shooter and ask him/her to close their eyes and point the weapon at the target. They would be closer to “on target” with a 1911 “grip angle” than most other weapons outside of this angle. However, there is a sacrifice to this grip angle. It is a higher “center bore axis.” When I first was into handguns I honestly didn’t care for the Glocks. But it wasn’t necessarily because of the grip angle. It was because of other items. It was plastic and it had a strange trigger to me. I was too new to shooting to understand “grip angle.” I owned an H&K USP .40, a Browning High-Power 9mm, a Sig Saur p229 .40, a couple of Para Ordinances, a Colt Delta Elite 10mm, and a Glock 22 .40. I also carried the Berretta M9 for 2 years in the Marines. I owned other pistols but these would be at the top as far as my favorites go. The weapons that I owned I had them at the same time for approximately 15 years. As my shooting progressed I began to notice something about that Glock 22. When shooting rapid fire or controlled pairs I was considerably quicker with my follow up shots with that Glock then any other weapon. At the time I didn’t know why. This is when I began to really like my Glock. It started going to the range with me more and more. I started getting use to the trigger and the fact that it was plastic. In fact it didn’t bother me anymore. My other weapons would stay in the safe while I’m at the range. The Glock was light and fast. About this time I learned how important muscle memory is during combat. I enjoyed owning all these different platforms but decided that I should narrow my selection so that I can concentrate on one platform and further develop my muscle memory. So I decided one day that I would sell these other fine pistols for more Glocks and other rifles. It wasn’t till I was on this forum that I really started to look at “grip angle”. I think I understand the big difference between Glocks and other weapons I had at that time. It’s the low “center bore axis.” I put some pictures below trying to show “grip angle” vs. lower “center bore axis.” Keep in mind these pictures are not to the same scale. I tried to do my best. I placed a red line through the bore axis and also from the middle of the trigger to the top of the grip where the web of your hand sits. As you can see, during recoil the Glock will drive the weapon into your hands because of the “grip angle.” This helps cancel out muzzle flip. Keep in mind also that the upper is mostly steel while the lower is mostly plastic. I never weighed the difference between the lower receiver and the upper slide – barrel. But the difference in weight is substantial. To have a metal slide operate on a plastic lower you would think that the “felt” recoil would be much greater, but in my experience it is not. The reason has to be because of the Glock “grip angle.” For me, the Glock is now a natural pointer because I’m use to it’s grip angle. Now I’m not saying that the Glock is the ultimate weapon. I’m surely not saying it should be every ones weapon. I’m just trying to understand why I like it so much when I’ve owned so many fine pistols. I shoot mostly Glocks now but truthfully if you handed me any of these pistols in this picture I would feel very well armed.