The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 16, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1
4T4MAG

AR15 DPMS Trigger/Hammer

I have a question on my AR15 DPMS single stage trigger. With the upper removed, with the hammer cocked, when I gently pull the trigger with out firing, the hammer is slightly pulled back/down also. The is a standard DPMS single stage FCG with standard springs. Should the hammer be pulling back/down more when I pull the trigger? I am wondering if the angles of the trigger and hammer are off or it it just needs some flitz? The trigger pull is sticky and spongy. I can post a pict if this does not make sense.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
wyop

The hammer/trigger geometry is off, and that's why you're seeing the hammer move as you pull the trigger.

As for the sticky/spongy pull: That's a symptom of no case hardening or poor case hardening of the parts.

Most GI single stage triggers in AR's feel like crap. No matter what I do to them, they continue to feel like crap. About the only way to improve them is to put a set screw up under the back of the trigger to reduce engagement. Attempts to stone the hammer/trigger surfaces into a better surface usually result in the pathetically thin case hardening being removed, which gets you the "peanut butter trigger" effect as you expose the softer metal under the case.

If you're someone who appreciates a really good, clean trigger pull, you need to look at Geissle's products. I use a SAA for AR's that don't need adjustable triggers.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:09 PM   #3
4T4MAG

Thank you for your reply. Everyone must be focusing on Nobama's talk today. I just installed a set screw and took out all the creep. It does appear that the geometry of the trigger is off. Being a DPMS LPK I am sure I would not get much help from DPMS or am I wrong?
Old January 17, 2013, 04:33 AM   #4
wyop

Dunno.

I'm guessing not. LPK's aren't a high-margin part of the business. You can try. With the recent rush to buy everything in sight, I'm highly dubious that they're going to just flip you a replacement trigger/hammer combo for free.

Even if the case hardened layer were thick enough, unless you have the correct stones and a fixture to hold the correct angles, it's highly doubtful that you'd get the correct angles.
Old January 17, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5
geetarman

I have 3 AR style rifles and have Timney triggers in all of them.

There are others that folks like better and they are welcome to their choices.

Timney is local here in Phoenix and mine have had no issues at all.

Carpe Cerveza