The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Alabama Shooter

Lasers in Hostage Situations

Last night while sitting on my back porch I hear a fox attacking a chicken in the chicken house. The chicken house has a run that goes outside the barn. I just happen to have on hand my Kimber TLE/ RL II. The Kimber has a .22 upper on it and a three point laser on the rail underneath. It is fully loaded with 37 gr hollow points.

In my slippers I run to the edge of my deck which is about 110' from the chicken run. In the flood lights I can just make out the eyes and ears of the galluscidal fox standing next to a chicken. I lay the laser between the eyes and squeeze off a couple of rounds. The head disappears.

I go back inside and get my boots on to deal with the mud and check out the coop. The fox had pried away some sheet metal to get into the coop but is no where to be seen. The chicken has a fair bit of fox blood on it but it otherwise fine, no damage even from the fox. The fox is no where to be seen, although there is a blood trail leading into the woods.

110' in a misty night with a handgun and the hostage is uninjured. Given I have lost seven chickens in the last six months I am calling that a win.

Say what you will about lasers but in the right cirucmstances they work well.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Nanuk

Good thing the hostage taker was ignorant of the laser....... Nice shooting.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Woody55

When they make the movie, I bet they'll substitute a thermal scope for the laser. It looks more dramatic on the big screen.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Good thing the hostage taker was ignorant of the laser....... Nice shooting.
I'd swear it caught his eye and he was looking at it trying to figure out what it was.

Quote:
When they make the movie, I bet they'll substitute a thermal scope for the laser.
So long as they can find a young "Arnold" to play me I'm good.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:13 PM   #5
9mm

Quote:
110' in a misty night with a handgun and the hostage is uninjured
Your getting gold metal and expert night marksmanship badge.
Old January 14, 2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Dragline45

It's great you protected your chickens from the fox, but maybe next time use something more suitable than a .22 pistol. Killing the fox is a hell of alot better than mortally wounding it only do drag itself into the woods to die slow from a disfiguring wound.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
It's great you protected your chickens from the fox, but maybe next time use something more suitable than a .22 pistol. Killing the fox is a hell of alot better than mortally wounding it only do drag itself into the woods to die slow from a disfiguring wound.
I agree in general however in particular I figured by the time I went back inside and find a suitable fox killing firearm the damsel in distress would have been dead. They would have weighed more heavily on my conscience than the wounded fox escaping.

I normally keep some kind of firearm handy, just not a long gun. I wasn't waiting on the fox it was just coincidence he was there.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:36 PM   #8
lcpiper

I bought a S&W Bodyguard .380 for the wife and it came with a laser. Perhaps the stock laser is a poor performer but what struck me was that I found that I would have to aim differently with a laser vs iron sights. It would require a completely different method of presentation to achieve proficiency. And this new method was incompatible with the methods for iron sight presentation.

I figured I didn't have it in me to practice enough to make both natural, it was one or the other, and iron sights always work where the laser I had at the time was an iffy venture.

For me good night sights one out.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Quincunx

I can just make out the eyes and ears of the galluscidal fox

You have warmed the heart of an old Latin teacher, 'bama Shooter. I therefore deem your action to have been justifiable vulpicide. LOL
Old January 14, 2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Dragline45

Quote:
I agree in general however in particular I figured by the time I went back inside and find a suitable fox killing firearm the damsel in distress would have been dead. They would have weighed more heavily on my conscience than the wounded fox escaping.
After losing so many chickens I cant say I blame you. Those things can be a nuisance sometimes, but damn are they cute as hell. Had the pleasure of a fox visiting our camp one day during a camping trip and I wanted to take the little guy home.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Nanuk

piper,

I do not own any guns with lasers attached either. The ones I had I adjusted at 15 yards to be just above the front sight. The problem then, depending on where the laser is mounted, where is the dot at different distances?

I am no expert at all when it comes to laser mounted guns.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:04 PM   #12
dayman

Very nice shooting.I have a real hard time making the laser stand still for long shots. I don't know what the difference is, but past 10 yds or so my groups open up fast with the laser.
I can sympathize both with liking the foxes, and also with killing them to protect the poultry. If they'd content themselves with eating mice in the field they'd be the perfect neighbors, but they never do for long. Weasels are another one that are fun to watch, but not so fun to have in the hen house.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:49 PM   #13
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
The problem then, depending on where the laser is mounted, where is the dot at different distances?
Keep the laser coaxial mounted. This means the bullet will strike the target exactly the same distance away from the dot as the laser is from the barrel (accounting for drop). Zero the laser at about 15 feet for most calibers for best results.

This won't work on a really cheap inaccurate gun (or laser) but will work on any gun (and laser) that are accurate.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:23 PM   #14
uradaisyifudo

For the movie, I think we really need to get to know some of the chickens first, so when the fox starts killing them he can be appropriately villainized. It will also be important to portray you and your relationship with the chickens, to prop up your role as hero.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:48 PM   #15
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
It will also be important to portray you and your relationship with the chickens, to prop up your role as hero.
I am their pimp daddy.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:16 AM   #16
Skans

I'm not trained to deal with hostage situations. So, gluing a laser to my self-defense gun(s) seems pointless, since I have no intention of ever taking that shot... Of course, I talking humans, not foxes and chickens.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:24 AM   #17
lcpiper

Skans, I suppose that sounds logical but trained or not, if you find yourself actually facing that decision then it means you have been presented with an opportunity and although your chances for success may be slim that might be the only opportunity the hostage ever gets.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If it happens trust in your instincts at the moment and hope god is smiling.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:21 PM   #18
Woody55

Alabama Shooter,

I've managed to avoid fox/chicken problems. The chickens live in an impenetrable fortress. The victims simply fail to put themselves away at night and take their chances in trees.

My problem is with racoons. Mainly racoons and my wife's garden. They ate all of her melons last year.

Ever try an electrified garden fence?