The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
ZVP

cutting the barrel?

Would you create functional problems if you cut a 28" Remington/Browning auto barrel to 18 1/2"?
I found a nice older Remington auto (Looks like a Browning auto). It's got partial engraving and some pretty nice wood (needs refinishing) but it would make a really nice H/D gun.
It's only $399 and sitting in the back of the rack at my local gun shop. Probablly noone has even looked at it for a decade! Just one of those old 2 3/4" guns that gets overlooked because it's not flashy or got plastic stocks.
If chopping the barrel would cause malfunctions it wouldn't be worth a dime to me.
Opnions?
Thanks.
ZVP
Old January 10, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

It works on the long recoil design.

Taking that much weight off the barrel is going to increase the velocity of the barrel in recoil enough to eventually cause damage to the gun. How soon/how much I can't say, but you might consider talking to a 'smith who knows the Browning design well before you break out the hacksaw.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Virginian

I am not a short barrel lover, so I cannot say for sure, BUT there was a poster not long ago who did it to an old Remington Model 11 and it no longer cycled properly. I KNOW it can be a problem with gas guns.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:17 AM   #4
bacardisteve

It may very well cause a problem on a semi. It will also pattern badly if not done right.
Old January 12, 2013, 04:23 PM   #5
ZVP

I did'nt get the Model# so I can't say it was an older gun tho. Maaybe it would be best forgotten.
Thanks guys.
ZVP
Old January 13, 2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Shotgun693

If it's a Model 11, they are gaining collect appeal. I saw 3 of'm in San Antonio ranging in price from $650 to over $800.
If you cut the barrel off you loose all the choke.

Also, the Model 11 is really easy to assemble wrong. There a very good chance if the barrel was removed, cut; then replaced the friction ring was put in reversed.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:41 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Methinks the Browning A-5 came in a 20" bbl riot gun configuration. I have to check my books to verify this. Remember with the A-5 you have the friction ring that may be moved to compensate for the recoil energy. John Moses was a genius and God's prophet on earth.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Virginian

John Moses Browning was undoubtedly a very bright guy who broke a lot of new ground in firearms design. But, I don't think he was too big on the "KISS" principle.