The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 8, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
MissouriExile

Absolute Rifle question

I have owned shotguns and handguns for some time now. I am looking for my first bolt action I find that iron sites are rarely available anymore.
I am looking at the R.A.R. in .243.
My only experience with rifles was the M-14, I don't feel comfortable without iron sites. yes, I am fairly old and I am concerned with having to fool with a scope for a quick shot.
what options do I have? can iron sites be mounted or some other simple site?
Old January 8, 2013, 11:43 AM   #2
johnwilliamson062

Yes.
There are a lot of options. Most of them cost less than a good scope.
Cut a dovetail, install a rail, clamp on sites, etc.
Although no irons is common, there are a good number of rifles offered with them. The problem is the factory iron sights are pretty shabby.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
L_Killkenny

There are folk like you that get intimidated by scopes, others who wrongly think iron sights are better for certain tasks. But the right scope is better than any iron sight created. They are just a durable, faster to use, better sight picture, etc. You want to get a .243 and use iron sights you are doing nothing but handicapping yourself. Some folks intentionally do that, same as some folks use muzzle loaders or handguns for hunting and that's fine. I like handgun hunting myself and like the challenge, But don't be fooled into thinkin scopes aren't hands down better.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Xfire68

L_Killkenny, is right there a re ton of optics out now that let you acquire your targets quickly. 1-4x, 1-6x make for great options for close range to mid range hunting.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:07 PM   #5
g.willikers

Check out the Scout Rifle concept.
Low powered scopes mounted forward for fast shots.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...te-scout-rifle
Old January 8, 2013, 05:17 PM   #6
jmr40

There is nothing that you can do with irons that a low powered scope won't do better. I've had more iron sights break and fail than scopes. A 1X or 2X scope is faster for quick shooting than irons as well.

Quality irons will add $200-$300 to the cost of a rifle. That, and the fact that a scope does everything better anyway is why you don't see them very often. The rifles that do still come with them are usually very low quality iron sights.

If I really wanted them I'd not select a rifle based just on the fact that it did have irons. You can have VERY good iron sights installed by a gunsmith for about the same cost as a budget scope and mounts. Buy the rifle you like, then have some quality sights put on it.
Old January 8, 2013, 06:25 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

CZ has a few offerings with iron sights. If you wish to save a little on spending then check out a single shot. Rossi offers many with Hi Viz fiber optic sights. Also H&R Handi Rifle has good iron sights. It is light, and quick handling.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Scorch

All good suggestions, but the OP said
Quote:
I suspect he means he is looking at an RRA or other AR pattern rifle in 243.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:40 AM   #9
pabuckslayer08

If your looking for a bolt gun your not going to find a better gun than a Remington BDL, they have iron sights and a very good set also.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:14 PM   #10
McShooty

If you like iron sights and are "fairly old," as I am, don't discount the idea of a good receiver aperture sight. A large hole peep is very fast and also accurate. A target peep is capable of precision shooting with the right target design. You can have both simply by changing the aperture, and it is the best iron setup for aging eyes.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Major Dave (retired)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

When you progress from "fairly old" to "old", your eyesight will progress from "barely able to focus on the front sight and target" to "Can only focus on one of them - the target, or the front sight".

No problem with a scope, at any age.

The secret to easy to see thru a scope, is to use a low power. This gives you a wide field of view, and what is called "non-critical eye relief". That means the scope is not finicky about exactly how far your eye is from the back end of the scope.

Leupold scopes have very non-critical eye relief. I have one of their scopes that goes from 1.75 power on the low end, to 6 power on the high end, and it is very easy to throw up to my shoulder quickly and be able to see the target through the scope. In fact, I never take my eyes off the target, and when the butt of my rifle settles into my shoulder, the scope is lined up perfectly with the target, and I see a full circle thru the scope, without any portion of the field of view being blacked out. I don't even look for the scope - it's already there. All I have to do is make a small adjustment to place the cross hairs precisely where I want the bullet to hit, and it's a done deal.

Try it - you will like it.

P.S. The first (center fire) rifle I learned to shoot was an M-1 Garand. I could hit 3 out of every 4 targets at the 400 yard range. Open iron (peep) sights. Age 19. Now, @ age 71 - scopes are a wonderful thing!
Old January 9, 2013, 09:57 PM   #12
jimbob86

Quote:
Quote:
I suspect he means he is looking at an RRA or other AR pattern rifle in 243.
Could R.A.R. be "Ruger American Rifle"?
Old January 9, 2013, 10:01 PM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
There is nothing that you can do with irons that a low powered scope won't do better.
Irons never fog over on a cold morning if you breathe on them.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:35 PM   #14
reynolds357

High end scopes unfog in about 1 second.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:58 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

IF you have the right scope it is always better than irons in any specific situation.
A good peep sight will do anything though.

The one hunting gun I have scope has see through rings with irons for short shots. I shot a deer with it at 15 yards last year. Much better than the scope.
Old January 10, 2013, 10:47 AM   #16
jimbob86

Quote:
The one hunting gun I have scope has see through rings
You get a good cheek weld when using the scope with that set up?

IME, that's not possible.

Not having good contact with the stock is a recipe for getting smacked in the face with it, or the scope.

...and without good solid reference point to put your cheek on, getting a consistant hold is unlikely ...... snap shots with the scope would be slower, too.

See-Thru rings offer the worst of both worlds ......
Old January 10, 2013, 10:24 PM   #17
reynolds357

When I was a teenager, I got the bright idea to put see through rings on a 94 Ranger. I took them off about a month later. Shooting with my head up in the sky did not work out so well.
Old January 11, 2013, 12:04 PM   #18
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
*** is an R.A.R ? Come on , typing out words isn't that hard (unless one can't spell) ! That way we'd know what you were talking about . When you make up acronyms , you're the only one that knows the meaning of them . That being said , Welcome to TFL forums . Shooting with a properly mounted scope is faster than Iron sights , you just have to practice , just like any other activity that requires hand eye coordination ! Stay away from see through mounts or rings , they just ruin both your sighting systems !
Old January 11, 2013, 02:16 PM   #19
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
You get a good cheek weld when using the scope with that set up
I almost addressed this point. Yes I do. the stock has a raised cheek piece and it is correct for the scope. The rings were on the rifle when i bought it and I believe they are factory. The height difference isn't all that great to begin with as these aren't raised as high or wide as most of the see through rings I have seen. Dropping to the iron sights is what is a little awkward. Since I am inside 50 yards, and usually 30 when using the iron sights, it isn't much of a problem. I was a little surprised at how well it works. I originally sighted the irons in as a back-up for if I took a fall on a hunting trip or something and was not sure about the scope zero, but they work well.
Old January 11, 2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Mausermolt

This hog didnt complain much about my M1903A3 open sights from 250 yds
Nor the cow elk from 200yds with the Garand. Open sights are really fun to hunt with! So on occasion i use them. but i do enjoy a good scope most of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110227073442.jpg (212.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg keaton and his elk.jpg (74.0 KB, 15 views)
Old January 11, 2013, 08:51 PM   #21
actionsportsaz

Mossberg ATR is available with rifle sights and scope mounts. I have one in 30-06 and its a good value rifle. The sights are Williams fire sight in te front and adjustable ramp in the rear. You want Model 26254
Old January 11, 2013, 09:07 PM   #22
reynolds357

Thats a neat looking rifle. Handy woods gun.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:20 PM   #23
brinker

Hey fella a 243 is a fine cal, for hunting that you can fine. I like a scope because you can identify your target and if zero'ed properly, you can have a positive kill, and not wound. I once owned a see thru mount with a redfield 4X, It was very difficult to zero the scope, many time's I used the open range, and I had a good kill. It was mounted in a bolt action Winchester, 243. any time I used the Scope I used Kentucky windage. Never could get that scope to zero properly. Good luck and shoot clean! Sunny