The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 10:37 PM   #51
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The bottom line is that I'm prejudiced against gamers who get into firearms just because of their video gaming.
Oh, c'mon. How many of us obsessed over guns we saw in old westerns, or on Miami Vice back in the day?

It's the same thing, really. Some of the Call of Duty kids are silly, but if just a few get into the sport from that angle, I'm OK with it.

As for video games and violence, there's never been a causal relationship established. Glenn can go into the details, but while they may be a stressor for unstable individuals, they're not enough on their own. Heck, you should see some of the awful things I've done in Skyrim.

Zombie ammo? Hey, it sells. Free market at work. I'd draw the line at political figures (and I have seen shops sell those targets), but the fantastical stuff is in good fun.

(Traveller? Meh. The cool kids played Star Frontiers.)
Old January 10, 2013, 08:48 AM   #52
Skans

Ok, let's take the Miami vice era - what if an AR has pictures of Scarface or Hanibal Lector etched in color on them? John Wayne Gacey - you're ok with that too - just a picture, right? No one is suggesting that rifles with stupid pictures on them be outlawed - all some of us are saying is that we have no problem expressing a bit of snobbery toward them and those that sell them.
Old January 10, 2013, 09:27 AM   #53
gaseousclay

luckily i've never encountered the type of rude behavior the OP talked about. gun shops should be about guns, not religion, politics or inappropriate language. this is a sure way to lose my business. i've had plenty of gun shop owners ignore me but not engage in foul language