The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 9, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
duelist1954

Track of the Wolf Bucks County rifle kit - Update #7

In this installment I drill and tap the lock plate for the lock bolt. I also inlet the side plate.

Before you watch this I want to warn you that I'll be confessing to two sins in this video that will probably get me blackballed from the company of skilled rifle builders. So I fully expect to take criticism. I'm just hoping you don't beat me too hard.

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPp4MOJAU5o
Old January 10, 2013, 12:33 AM   #2
arcticap

I've glanced at a lot of photos of sideplates but never really realized that they were inletted. Looking at a lot of Google images of flintlock sideplates, now I'm starting to notice how they're inletted. Some have deeper inletting than others and there's a whole range of different sideplate designs from very simple to complex, and all having a different degree of relief and inletting depth.
The sideplate is one of those items that allows the gun maker a definite choice about how deep to inlet for that particular sideplate design.
And I guess that a maker could even choose to not inlet the stock for the sideplate at all and to simply mount it right on to the surface of the wood.
Mike, do you know if some builders don't inlet for the sideplate or is that method too crude?

Last edited by arcticap; January 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:54 AM   #3
duelist1954

I have never seen one that was totally un-inletted. If there is no beveled edge, they are generally inletted full-depth. If the edge is beveled, they are usually inletted up to the bevel.

Last edited by duelist1954; January 10, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old February 4, 2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Pahoo

I bet you don't play poker !!!

Well, have to admit that you had me smiling on this one and once again, learned something new and enjoyed it. ...

Be Safe !!!