The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 5, 2013, 11:35 PM   #76
9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 9, 2011
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 2,711
Quote:
If the OP truly feels the threat at the beach is that severe, why would you knowingly go where you are putting yourself and family in such harms way? Find another beach or get a pool installed...
Any beach can be dangerous, same with a pool, no idea where criminals are so carry 99% of time. I carry at the pool too. The pool/beach is an easy spot for criminals to hit peoples wallets up, people are almost naked and = likely no gun.
__________________
See user title
9mm is offline  
Old January 6, 2013, 06:58 AM   #77
Constantine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 5, 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 5,201
You can't shoot someone for stealing property. That's illegal and isn't known as a "justifiable homicide" in "self defense". It's if your life is in "great bodily harm or possible death".


Also, you can have a gun on you and are going to great lengths to do so. Why not also have your wallet on you? I don't get it. Don't get me wrong. In Miami, FL city I was born and raise I always have my gun on me. Rain or shine. Beach or hotel. If that's on me so is my wallet, keys, knife, ID's, phone, spare mag or mags. No reason to separate them unless I'm sleeping or in the shower. (The gun comes with me alone and either sits on the night table or toilet) yeah, home invasions suck.


Anyways, just keep it all together. No need to separate anything or justify why you want to carry at the beach. Obviously you have seen or dealt with something unpleasant. Just do it then. Also remember you CANNOT shoot anyone over property unless they are in your home or you are legitimately in fear for your life or serious bodily harm. If he pulls a knife of gun out on you while in the act. Etc. only you can make that judgement.

Also, in a beach...they're a lot of people for a long long stretch of open area. Any of those bullets that you miss, are going somewhere. And one better pray to God that they're going where you intended them to go and not anywhere else.

A tactic I was taught and learned (by the way is so much easier with soft sand under you) is either kneel/crouch and aim up at the assailant. Or drop down and spread your legs and open fire on the assailant. Thus changing your position as a target and aiming up in case any bullets are missed.

^ that takes a good amount of practice.


Anyways. Hope this helps.
Constantine is offline  
Old January 6, 2013, 08:27 AM   #78
Willie Lowman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 5, 2009
Location: Uh-Hi-O
Posts: 2,455
I don't have anything worthwile to add... But...

Why not forget the pistol and look to the M4? It seems to be at home on the beach.

__________________
Will work for Q3131
Willie Lowman is offline  
Old January 6, 2013, 06:16 PM   #79
9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 9, 2011
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 2,711
Quote:
Why not also have your wallet on you? I don't get it
I do, I have a neck lanyard for that.

Quote:
Why not forget the pistol and look to the M4? It seems to be at home on the beach.
I am not in a warzone, I don't need a battlerifle.
__________________
See user title
9mm is offline  
Old January 6, 2013, 10:25 PM   #80
OkieCruffler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 9, 2001
Location: Denison Texas on the banks of Texhoma
Posts: 1,501
Hey, I don't need an M4 on the beach either but if she'd like to carry it for me who am I to say no?'
If your really feel like you need a different/another pistol for the beach (what the heck, my wife has a different purse for every single place we go) get a Keltec P11. Mostly plastic, easy to take down and clean and the little belt clip makes it easy to clamp onto your speedo.
__________________
John A. Monroe, Never Forgive, Never Forget, Blood Pays Blood
OkieCruffler is offline  
Old January 7, 2013, 11:53 PM   #81
seeker_two
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 31, 2002
Location: Deep in the Heart of the Lone Star State (TX)
Posts: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm
I am not in a warzone, I don't need a battlerifle.
That's OK....the M4 isn't a battle rifle....
__________________
Proud member of Gun Culture 2.0......
seeker_two is offline  
Old January 8, 2013, 12:29 AM   #82
Chowder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 3, 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 415
Quote:
What beaches do you go to? I currently live on Cape Cod and grew up in Boston, I have always been a stones throws away from a hundred beaches and have never seen a group of criminals at one of them.
Revere beach in the early 90s wasn't exactly an inviting place lol But I have heard it has been cleaned up pretty nice now. Not sure if it was criminals that made it uninviting or the human waste being dumped into the ocean though .

People are getting a little testy about this beach carry it seems. I personally wouldn't carry at the beach because I Like to swim but bad things can happen at the beach.

http://www.bostonhospitalityindustry...hrongs-on.html

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/19...bed-at-revere/

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/sto...8#.UOut52-x-Yg

I don't know how the beach is set up where the OP visits but the beach could include a boardwalk and various shops that may be far from where parking is.
Chowder is offline  
Old January 9, 2013, 12:01 AM   #83
Justice06RR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 21, 2010
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,279
OP, my recommendation is PF9, P11, 709Slim, CW9, etc. I'm sure there are other small pistols out there, just depends on how you are dressed (or lack thereof ) at the beach.



Quote:
You can't shoot someone for stealing property. That's illegal and isn't known as a "justifiable homicide" in "self defense". It's if your life is in "great bodily harm or possible death".

Also, you can have a gun on you and are going to great lengths to do so. Why not also have your wallet on you? I don't get it. Don't get me wrong. In Miami, FL city I was born and raise I always have my gun on me. Rain or shine. Beach or hotel. If that's on me so is my wallet, keys, knife, ID's, phone, spare mag or mags. No reason to separate them unless I'm sleeping or in the shower. (The gun comes with me alone and either sits on the night table or toilet) yeah, home invasions suck.


Anyways, just keep it all together. No need to separate anything or justify why you want to carry at the beach. Obviously you have seen or dealt with something unpleasant. Just do it then. Also remember you CANNOT shoot anyone over property unless they are in your home or you are legitimately in fear for your life or serious bodily harm. If he pulls a knife of gun out on you while in the act. Etc. only you can make that judgement.

Also, in a beach...they're a lot of people for a long long stretch of open area. Any of those bullets that you miss, are going somewhere. And one better pray to God that they're going where you intended them to go and not anywhere else.

A tactic I was taught and learned (by the way is so much easier with soft sand under you) is either kneel/crouch and aim up at the assailant. Or drop down and spread your legs and open fire on the assailant. Thus changing your position as a target and aiming up in case any bullets are missed.

^ that takes a good amount of practice.


Anyways. Hope this helps
I'm also in FL by the East coast (Daytona, Cocoa, etc) and have carried a PF9 and 709Slim in just cargo shorts walking on the beach/pier. I'm always on vacation due to the nature of my job.

Its not only for protection of property, but BG's can rob you as you are walking back and forth to your car or hotel room, esp when its dark or isolated.

When you are carrying, all you really need is your CWL in your pocket, along with your ID if you prefer. ID is not required if you already have your CWL as that is a form of ID in itself. You can leave your cash, wallet, and electronic devices in the car if you don't need them.

And shooting at the beach? well thats the same as a shooting anywhere. People can be around in parking lots, stores, even inside your own residence. Its a general good practice to watch whats behind your shot anyway. You can't always control that though.

Just sayin...
Justice06RR is offline  
Old January 9, 2013, 12:14 AM   #84
Dragline45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,673
Quote:
Revere beach in the early 90s wasn't exactly an inviting place lol But I have heard it has been cleaned up pretty nice now. Not sure if it was criminals that made it uninviting or the human waste being dumped into the ocean though .
You are correct that it was not so much criminals but the water being dirty as all hell. The water has cleaned up though, but even so it's not a beach I frequent. They also told me when I was a kid that the Charles River which ran through my town was cleaned up, I have yet to smell another river that smells like the Charles.
Dragline45 is offline  
Old January 9, 2013, 04:06 AM   #85
Chowder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 3, 2012
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 415
Quote:
You are correct that it was not so much criminals but the water being dirty as all hell. The water has cleaned up though, but even so it's not a beach I frequent. They also told me when I was a kid that the Charles River which ran through my town was cleaned up, I have yet to smell another river that smells like the Charles.
I remember hearing that the Charles river was safe enough to swim in years ago now that it has been "cleaned up". Then I realize I swam in the river as a kid long before it was cleaned lol. I may be wrong but I think I remember reading somewhere that back before it was cleaned it was advised that it you were boating in the Charles and fell in you should go get a tetanus shot.

My comments about the beach being dangerous was more about activities and places you would visit when going to the beach that are not always in the sand of course this depends on the beach itself. Anyway, great to see another Bostonian on here
Chowder is offline  
Old January 9, 2013, 06:21 PM   #86
Dragline45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 30, 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,673
Quote:
I remember hearing that the Charles river was safe enough to swim in years ago now that it has been "cleaned up". Then I realize I swam in the river as a kid long before it was cleaned lol. I may be wrong but I think I remember reading somewhere that back before it was cleaned it was advised that it you were boating in the Charles and fell in you should go get a tetanus shot.
I swam in the Charles when I was a kid too a few times, so far no mutations . When the herring would run we used to wade through the water to the fish ladder and hold a net to catch the herring which we used for bait. During that time of year some pretty large stripers would follow the herring into the Charles and makes for some good fishing, would not recommend eating what you catch though.
Dragline45 is offline  
Old January 10, 2013, 12:00 AM   #87
cdbeagle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 3, 2012
Location: Justin Texas
Posts: 287
Quote:
CZ82. Reliable and $189 at JG now. Tough to beat that. It won't care about the sand....
What is JG? Just bought an 83 and am looking for an 82.
__________________
I comprehend how a projectile can, “lose velocity", but don't understand how a projectile can, "loose velocity".
cdbeagle is offline  
Old January 10, 2013, 02:11 AM   #88
9mm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 9, 2011
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 2,711
j&G Sales





www.jgsales.com/
__________________
See user title
9mm is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.10973 seconds with 9 queries