The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 12:51 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Paintball Markers

My kids 16&18 have been into paintball for a while now. ROTC got them started. Anyway, they are tired of renting. After about a year I think its time to get them a setup. I have to buy 2 so I dont want to blow to much on a setup. $150ish per kid. Marker,mask,tank,etc... I think they can get whatever else they need from there. Some of you guys must know paintball. Any suggestions? They dont speedball, they play capture fort style with battle sieges etc..
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 7, 2013, 02:33 PM   #2
chris in va

Man, I haven't been in paintball in years. But I will say that $150 won't even scratch the surface. Try around $750 per kid for a decent setup, to include decent mask, marker ($400 ish), nitro tank ($150), electronic hopper etc.

That's like asking what pistol should I get for $150. Just not feasible.

Here's an idea. Take that $150 and get each one a nitro tank. It's one of the best improvements to a paintball setup, and it'll give them incentive to get their own marker. You can probably find a 68ci/3000 for about $150.

Last edited by chris in va; January 7, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 04:09 PM   #3
BoogieMan

I was hoping for better news. I did check out a sight and found some Tippman combos from $180ish to $400ish. They dont need aWilson but I dont want to get them a Taurus either. I am a bit taken at the prices. I was thinking I could get them something in the middle fairly cheap. Just judging from what they have at Dicks SG.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 7, 2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Lordy123

Chris is Right, in a sense. However If they're just playing woods-ball with friends at this point then you can get by with a spyder/PMI blowback pretty cheap. CO2 isn't ideal, but with a antisiphon installed($20 at any paintball shop) it isn't too bad in good weather.

Another thing to note, unlike firearms the resale on used paintball equipment is low rather than high. By used if you can!
Old January 7, 2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Lordy123

I would start them off with this on a budget:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gryphon-by...tlyViewedItems

But this is heaps better by comparison:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tippmann-9...rpack/17130469

So of course its gonna be about double the price.

Good luck!
Old January 7, 2013, 05:19 PM   #6
Cascade1911

Paintball Marker? Is that anything like a paintball gun?
Old January 7, 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Chettt

I'll give you the straight scoop - woodsball, capture the fort style play = Tippmann 98. They are rugged, made in the U.S.A. and can be upgraded later with a response or E-trigger.

Spyder's are good but like many they are made out of plastic and break easily.

As a dad what you want to do, and this is important, is to buy them a thermal lens mask. If it's not a thermal, it will fog really quick and your kids will take them off and risk losing an eye. These types of masks will run $75 to $120 or so but they are worth it.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:49 PM   #8
Alabama Shooter

Make sure the mask covers the ears too. Gets hurty bring shot in the ear.
Old January 7, 2013, 05:49 PM   #9
Nytelyte

+1 on the Tippmann. I had an SL-68II that you could use as a bludgeoning weapon if you ran out of paint

Craigslist frequently had amazing deals on lightly used equipment. Lot of folks buy it, use it lightly, store it a while, and then sell it.
For instance, on my local CL right now:
http://columbus.craigslist.org/spo/3508234961.html
which would easily work inside your budget and leave room for upgrades.
Or something like this:
http://columbus.craigslist.org/spo/3524194983.html

Basically, if everything has to be new, your budget will be tough. If you are willing to accept used equipment and be picky about it you should have no problems.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Jo6pak

If you are working on a budget, the Tippman 98 is the way to go. It's the AK47 of paintball. They are good, solid markers, simple, nearly indestructible, easily upgraded and have alot of mods and aftermarket support. If they are playing woodsball, it's the best option.
I have a 98 that is more than 10 years old and still running like a champ.

There is no reason to spend $750 per kid.
Old January 7, 2013, 06:48 PM   #11
alex0535

Tippman 98

It won't ever break, easy to upgrade, lots of upgrades available.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:26 AM   #12
MagnumWill

DO NOT run out and buy one new. Check Ebay- I sold my E-MR1 because it couldn't keep the barrel clean, so it was horribly inaccurate. Jumped on EBay and found my dream gun for $200 - a 2005 WGP Prostock Autococker, with a Dye barrel and hinge trigger, and a Hardliner bolt (original price was probably close to $900). That gun is a freaking laser beam. It's more accurate than the old Mosin M44 I had! Ha hah! . It's a pain to keep tuned, but its *never* broken a ball and it eats Tippmans and Spyders for lunch those Protos and Bob Longs, however, are a different story...
Old January 8, 2013, 02:35 AM   #13
Slopemeno

I did about four years of customizing paintball guns for a living- the shop that later became KAPP was where I worked. I was airsmith to the Ironmen for a season as well.

I'd suggest buying clean used WGP Snipers, or WGP Autocockers that have been converted back to pumps. You can pick up one with a premium barrel for under $200.00. Here's why- they are incredibly heavy duty and reliable- you'll spend less time fixing and more time playing. They are incredibly accurate with a good quality DYE or J&J barrel- mine would hit a knot in a piece of 3/4" rope at a measured 25 yards (Bill Wing of DYE and I spent about 10 minutes shooting that piece of hanging rope one day at our field in Nor Cal). A pump will use less paint and air, so you and your kids will spend less, and play more. Affordability is an issue with paintball.

Learn to play "hopperball". Don't bring leaders or fanny packs onto the field, just play with a stock 90 or 150 round feeder only. Conserve and look for angles. Keeps things simple and makes a case of paint last all day.

I'd head over to M Carter Brown, which is a vintage paintball marker website. Read the forum and you'll get an idea of what works and what doesn't. PM me if you have some specific questions.

The Tippmann guns are a great value, by the way. I have a friend who has an SL-68 (not the II) and it still works, and shoots great. The Tippmanns reaaly focused on building a reliable, heavy-duty product. Certainly not flashy, but they always work.

Clean your barrels between games with rubbing alcohol. Buy good quality paint- you'll thank me later. Buy the best quality eye protection you can and take care of your lenses. Check out a real field and follow the safety procedures (barrel plugs or sock, chrono before every game, no turning up the velocity on the field, no overshooting, etc). Paintball is a very safe game played right.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:02 AM   #14
BoogieMan

From the info on this forum and another (fishing) that I frequent I think the used gun is going to be the way to go. Ill buy them a good new mask and try and find a comparable pair of used markers. Cant have one outgunning the other.
BTW- the field where they play is safety minded and everyone must chrono before play. If your caught turning up the pressure on the field you get booted for the day.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 8, 2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Fusion

Now, I will be the first to admit that I haven't played or even shot my paintball gun in years, but when I did play occasionally a few years ago the Tipton 98 Custom was a very popular and decent gun. I am not 100% sure what they go for, but you should be able to find one for not a ton more than your price range.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:06 PM   #16
Nytelyte

Quote:
From the info on this forum and another (fishing) that I frequent I think the used gun is going to be the way to go. Ill buy them a good new mask and try and find a comparable pair of used markers. Cant have one outgunning the other.
BTW- the field where they play is safety minded and everyone must chrono before play. If your caught turning up the pressure on the field you get booted for the day.
Good on buying new masks, or at least new lenses for used masks. They do degrade.
Only time I saw someone turn up their gun after a chrony he got the snot kicked out of him as he was ejected from the fields. Never saw him again. I figure that is just, bloody nose and a black eye as punishment for endangering people.