The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 21, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Das1
Member
 
Join Date: October 31, 2008
Posts: 23
Correia lays it out

Persuasive, logical pro 2a arguement from someone who can articulate (professional writer) what a lot of us have been trying to say.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/20...n-gun-control/
Das1 is offline  
Old December 21, 2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Armorer-at-Law
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 29, 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 323
This is a very good read.
__________________
Send lawyers, guns, and money...

Armorer-at-Law.com
Armorer-at-Law is offline  
Old December 21, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
bumnote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 13, 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 362
Extremely well said!
__________________
"And remember, Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain, he died in Washington D.C." - Firesign Theatre
bumnote is offline  
Old December 21, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
pax
Staff
 
Join Date: May 16, 2000
Location: Washington state
Posts: 6,790
That first post is almost a drive by. I'm going to leave this open because it really is an excellent article, and could be a handy reference for those of us talking to our families and friends about this topic right now.

I'd suggest brushing up on these topics before your next get together with friends and relatives.

Now, that said: let's try to salvage this thread by getting a bit more of a conversation going. Here's one thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Correia
Mental Health Issues

And right here I’m going to show why I’m different than the people I’ve been arguing with the last few days. I am not an expert on mental health issues or psychiatry or psychology. My knowledge of criminal psychology is limited to understanding the methods of killers enough to know how to fight them better.

So since I don’t have enough first-hand knowledge about this topic to comment intelligently, then I’m not going to comment…
This is why Larry Correia is one of my heroes right now, and why I trust his writing.

pax
__________________
Kathy Jackson
My personal website: Cornered Cat
pax is offline  
Old December 22, 2012, 01:38 AM   #5
DaleA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2002
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,323
Pardon me for not realizing that Correia in the thread title was Larry Correia.

I thought you had found some media or political pundit of that name. Sorry.

It is incredibly refreshing to have someone that knows what they are talking about and can put it across in a clear and understandable fashion. If I wanted to use big words I'd say knowledgeable and literate.

I hope lots of folk post links to his article. I've been reading many posts lately and his is simply the best. His article, IMhO is one that would pull anyone with an open mind over to 'our' side because it's reasonable, well thought out and true.

If I had the power, before every gun debate, I'd hand it out and make both sides read it.
DaleA is offline  
Old December 22, 2012, 01:59 PM   #6
8MM Mauser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 16, 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 395
Great read! I have reposted this link everywhere I have even a little influence on the Internet! A well spoken and articulate person laying out why we beleive.
8MM Mauser is offline  
Old December 22, 2012, 02:09 PM   #7
pax
Staff
 
Join Date: May 16, 2000
Location: Washington state
Posts: 6,790
I keep finding awesome quotes tucked into that amazing essay. Try this one on for size:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Correia
So now that there is a new tragedy the president wants to have a “national conversation on guns”. Here’s the thing. Until this national conversation is willing to entertain allowing teachers to carry concealed weapons, then it isn’t a conversation at all, it is a lecture.
Or this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Correia
But teachers aren’t as trained as police officers! True, yet totally irrelevant. The teacher doesn’t need to be a SWAT cop or Navy SEAL. They need to be speed bumps.
Or this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Correia
In all honesty I have no respect for anybody who believes Gun Free Zones actually work. You are going to commit several hundred felonies, up to and including mass murder, and you are going to refrain because there is a sign? That No Guns Allowed sign is not a cross that wards off vampires. It is wishful thinking, and really pathetic wishful thinking at that.

The only people who obey No Guns signs are people who obey the law. People who obey the law aren’t going on rampages.

I testified before the Utah State Legislature about the University of Utah’s gun ban the day after the Trolley Square shooting in Salt Lake City. Another disaffected loser scumbag started shooting up this mall. He killed several innocent people before he was engaged by an off duty police officer who just happened to be there shopping. The off duty Ogden cop pinned down the shooter until two officers from the SLCPD came up from behind and killed the shooter. (turned out one of them was a customer of mine) I sent one of my employees down to Trolley Square to take a picture of the shopping center’s front doors. I then showed the picture to the legislators. One of the rules was NO GUNS ALLOWED.

The man that attacked the midnight showing of Batman didn’t attack just any theater. There were like ten to choose from. He didn’t attack the closest. It wasn’t about biggest or smallest. He attacked the one that was posted NO GUNS ALLOWED.

There were four mass killing attempts this week. Only one made the news because it helped the agreed upon media narrative.
  • Oregon. NOT a gun free zone. Shooter confronted by permit holder. Shooter commits suicide. Only a few casualties.
  • Texas. NOT a gun free zone. Shooter killed immediately by off duty cop. Only a few casualties.
  • Connecticut. GUN FREE ZONE. Shooters kills until the police arrive. Suicide. 26 dead.
  • China. GUN FREE COUNTRY. A guy with a KNIFE stabs 22 children.

And here is the nail in the coffin for Gun Free Zones. Over the last fifty years, with only one single exception (Gabby Giffords), every single mass shooting event with more than four casualties has taken place in a place where guns were supposedly not allowed.
Or this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Correia
"We need to ban automatic weapons."

Okay. Done. In fact, we pretty much did that in 1934. The National Firearms Act of 1934 made it so that you had to pay a $200 tax on a machinegun and register it with the government. In 1986 that registry was closed and there have been no new legal machineguns for civilians to own since then.

Automatic means that when you hold down the trigger the gun keeps on shooting until you let go or run out of ammo. Actual automatic weapons cost a lot of money. The cheapest one you can get right now is around $5,000 as they are all collector’s items and you need to jump through a lot of legal hoops to get one. To the best of my knowledge, there has only ever been one crime committed with an NFA weapon in my lifetime, and in that case the perp was a cop.

Now are machineguns still used in crimes? Why, yes they are. For every legally registered one, there are conservatively dozens of illegal ones in the hands of criminals. They either make their own (which is not hard to do) or they are smuggled in (usually by the same people that are able to smuggle in thousands of tons of drugs). Because really serious criminals simply don’t care, they are able to get ahold of military weapons, and they use them simply because criminals, by definition, don’t obey the law. So even an item which has been basically banned since my grandparents were kids, and which there has been no new ones allowed manufactured since I was in elementary school, still ends up in the hands of criminals who really want one. This will go to show how effective government bans are.

When you say “automatic” you mean full auto, as in a machinegun. What I think most of these people mean is semi-auto.

"Okay. We need to ban semi-automatic weapons!"

Semi-automatic means that each time you pull the trigger the action cycles and loads another round. This is the single most common type of gun, not just in America, but in the whole world. Almost all handguns are semi-automatic. The vast majority of weapons used for self-defense are semi-automatic, as are almost all the weapons used by police officers. It is the most common because it is normally the most effective.

Semi-automatic is usually best choice for defensive use. It is easier to use because you can do so one handed if necessary, and you are forced to manipulate your weapon less. If you believe that using a gun for self-defense is necessary, then you pretty much have to say that semi-auto is okay.

Banning semi-automatic basically means banning all guns. I’ll get to the functional problems with that later.
Phooey -- go read the whole thing. It is that good.

Share it with your friends on Facebook. Email the URL to people you know. Pass it around...

pax
__________________
Kathy Jackson
My personal website: Cornered Cat
pax is offline  
Old December 22, 2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Das1
Member
 
Join Date: October 31, 2008
Posts: 23
If you have the time to wade through the comments, you will see how persuasive the article is to people who read it with an open mind. Several fence - sitters claim to have changed their view on firearms ownership because of it.

Some trivia - Mr. Correia was my cfl instructer when I got my permit 5 years ago.

Plus he really is an excellent sci - fi writer.
Das1 is offline  
Old December 24, 2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Romeo 33 Delta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: March 27, 2009
Posts: 300
Sure glad I figured out how to print this out!

Last edited by Romeo 33 Delta; December 25, 2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: change "was" to "were" ... wish contrary to fact!
Romeo 33 Delta is offline  
Old December 25, 2012, 01:07 PM   #10
481
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 18, 2011
Posts: 468
What an excellent article. Correia nailed it.

Gonna start passing it around.
__________________
My favorite "gun" book -

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION
481 is offline  
Old December 25, 2012, 08:31 PM   #11
SVO
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 20, 2009
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 659
Everyone who posts here needs to read this,
SVO is offline  
Old December 25, 2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Willie D
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 24, 2007
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
China. GUN FREE COUNTRY. A guy with a KNIFE stabs 22 children.

Gun control types are citing this case for their arguements because none of the children died. Honestly, it's probably not a great pro-2a statistic.
Willie D is offline  
Old December 28, 2012, 06:18 AM   #13
okiewita40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 11, 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 404
That was a great read. I even printed it out so I show it to friends.
__________________
What on god's green earth do you think your doing?
okiewita40 is offline  
Old December 30, 2012, 05:25 AM   #14
stevelyn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Location: Fairbanksan in exile to Aleutian Hell
Posts: 2,616
Quote:
Gun control types are citing this case for their arguements because none of the children died. Honestly, it's probably not a great pro-2a statistic.
So you think we can paint the enemy camp as thinking it's okay to cut and stab kids as long as they don't die?
__________________
Herman Cain '12

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
stevelyn is offline  
Old December 30, 2012, 08:28 PM   #15
pax
Staff
 
Join Date: May 16, 2000
Location: Washington state
Posts: 6,790
Quote:
So you think we can paint the enemy camp as thinking it's okay to cut and stab kids as long as they don't die?
Heh.

Good one.

If you'd like a better statistic, try this one on for size: according to Grant Duwe's research reported in Mass Murder in the United States: a history, the most deadly mass murder attacks throughout the past century did not involve firearms. They involved arson and bombs.

Even if you could eliminate all guns by outlawing them (you can't, but even if you could), the body counts would then go up, not down, as nutcases turned to more dangerous weapons such as matches and fertilizer.

pax
__________________
Kathy Jackson
My personal website: Cornered Cat
pax is offline  
Old December 31, 2012, 08:22 AM   #16
Dwight55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 18, 2004
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 2,553
All I can say is, . . . great read.

If you or someone near you has any questions about the debate, . . . check out Larry's article, . . . most likely your answers are found in there.

May God bless,
Dwight
__________________
www.dwightsgunleather.com
If you can breathe, . . . thank God!
If you can read, . . . thank a teacher!
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Dwight55 is offline  
Old December 31, 2012, 11:02 PM   #17
Al Norris
Staff
 
Join Date: June 29, 2000
Location: Rupert, Idaho
Posts: 9,276
Shortly after I originally read Larry's article, I emailed him to ask for permission to convert it to a PDF for easy printing. I received the OK, just a few minutes ago.

Here ya go!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Larry Correia on Gun Control.pdf (116.9 KB, 82 views)
__________________
National listings of the Current 2A Cases.
Al Norris is offline  
Old January 1, 2013, 09:27 AM   #18
DaleA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2002
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,323
Thanks for the PDF.

Again, this is one of the most well-reasoned articles around about gun control.
DaleA is offline  
Old January 4, 2013, 08:52 AM   #19
Al Norris
Staff
 
Join Date: June 29, 2000
Location: Rupert, Idaho
Posts: 9,276
I just have to shake my head.

Here we have a very well reasoned article. There are many talking points we can all use to bolster our side of the argument. Larry gives permission to distribute his article to TFL and only eleven folks are interested enough to download the PDF.

This is why we will lose our rights. Apathy!
__________________
National listings of the Current 2A Cases.
Al Norris is offline  
Old January 4, 2013, 08:58 AM   #20
BGutzman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 4, 2009
Location: Frozen Tundra
Posts: 2,414
Easy Al,

More will download... One of the limitations of the format is directing people to really valuable information like this.... Not that it cant be don't... For my part I will spread it as far as possible.. I'm sure others will do the same..

take care - warmest regards bgutzman
__________________
Molon Labe
BGutzman is offline  
Old January 4, 2013, 09:28 AM   #21
Willie Sutton
Junior member
 
Join Date: January 26, 2012
Posts: 1,066
Probably many are just clicking the link and reading the blog. I did, and then linked it on my Facebook page where it's been read and commented in my over 100 people, mainly non gun owners. Do not guage utility to us by PDF downloads (although I did download it too)


Willie

.
Willie Sutton is offline  
Old January 4, 2013, 07:59 PM   #22
kennethlee
Member
 
Join Date: December 17, 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 55
Thanks for the post. It does read really well for the most part. I just don't know why statements about "liberals" and "blue states" needed to be made to make his point. Just one more opinion at that point and much less palatable to those that need to be convinced to listen to reason.
__________________
You become what you practice.
kennethlee is offline  
Old January 5, 2013, 11:18 AM   #23
DaleA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2002
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,323
Correia's article is most definitely one we should pass around to friend and foe alike.

It really does lay things out in an understandable way without using exaggeration or hyperbole or trying for any sound bites.

(Someone on TFL has already reported an anti trying to make points by trying to stick the label 'massacre magazines' on 30 round magazines! Sheesh.)

I didn't download the PDF 'cause I had already done a cut and paste job off his site into a word document. You're PDF would have saved me a lot of time and effort but (shrug) I didn't know anyone was going to do it.

Once again let me say thanks for posting the PDF.

Maybe we could make it a 'sticky' here at TFL?
DaleA is offline  
Old January 5, 2013, 02:53 PM   #24
Al Norris
Staff
 
Join Date: June 29, 2000
Location: Rupert, Idaho
Posts: 9,276
I probably should have said something, but I didn't want to get hopes up, in case Larry said, "no."
__________________
National listings of the Current 2A Cases.
Al Norris is offline  
Old January 18, 2013, 01:59 AM   #25
DaleA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: September 12, 2002
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,323
Is the gun debate over? No? Then we should not let this EXCELLENT article slide away.
DaleA is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2013 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.12849 seconds with 10 queries