The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 27, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1
Dragline45

Springfield M1A Loaded vs M1A Scout Squad

Looking to pick up an M1A soon but kind of torn between two models, the M1A Loaded and the smaller Scout Squad.

Although I like the idea of the match stainless barrel and trigger on the Loaded version, this gun will be carried around the woods from time to time and I am leaning towards the more compact Scout Squad. Does anyone have experience with the Loaded M1A compared to a standard M1A barrel and trigger? Is the match trigger and barrel really leaps and bounds over the standard trigger that it's worth going with the loaded? Both rifles are around the same price so that is not a deciding factor. I know I could always drop in a better trigger eventually but after this purchase I wont have much disposable income for a bit.

M1A Loaded:
Barrel- 22", 6 Groove, 1:11 Right Hand Twist, Stainless Steel National Match, Medium Weight, Premium Air Gauged
Trigger- 2 Stage Military Trigger, Match Tuned 4.5-5;bs
Length 44.3"
Weight w/ Mag- 9.3lbs

M1A Scout Squad:
Barrel- 18"; 6 Groove, 1:11 Right Hand Twist
Trigger- 2 Stage Military Trigger, 5-6lbs
Length- 40.3"
Weight w/ Mag- 8.8lbs

Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1A.JPG (12.5 KB, 157 views)
Old December 28, 2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Tucker 1371

Quote:
Although I like the idea of the match stainless barrel and trigger on the Loaded version, this gun will be carried around the woods from time to time and I am leaning towards the more compact Scout Squad.
Get the scout, for that reason. The Loaded is a fine rifle but I believe the scout makes a better tool and is more appropriate for your intentions. IMHO the M1A scout is about as heavy as you want to go with a hunting rifle, anything heavier is going to be a burden in the woods.

Ounces = pounds
Pounds = PAIN
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:43 PM   #3
RamItOne

Not sure about the 18" barrel, when I was looking around I found the 16" socom was 4moa from the factory.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old December 29, 2012, 12:09 AM   #4
jmfc606

Buy what ever one you can find in stock at you local dealer. You're pretty much out of luck if you think your dealer can order whatever he wants now. My dealer tried to order a scout for a customer and they were out of stock, he then asked the salesman what was in stock as far as Springfield and he said nothing was in stock. As far as auctions go I saw a used scout go for $2500+ on auction arms. Good Luck
Old December 29, 2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Tucker 1371

Armslist has a few listed for under $2k, most full size but one original Socom (not the II)

*edit
Here's the link
http://www.armslist.com/posts/475277...t-with-leupold

The Socom I mentioned is in an Sage EBR chassis for $1900 that is a heckuva deal, I'd scoop it up myself if I had the funds.
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Last edited by Tucker 1371; December 29, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Dragline45

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
Buy what ever one you can find in stock at you local dealer. You're pretty much out of luck if you think your dealer can order whatever he wants now
Thanks but I am in no rush to buy this rifle. It will be the most money I have ever forked over for any gun and I am willing to wait a few months to find the one I want which will most likely be the scout. Sounds like Springfield doesn't have any to ship but I'm wondering if my dealer could put in an special order on one, even if I have to wait 6 months+ for them to get around to it.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:26 AM   #7
'88Scrat

Quote:
Originally Posted By GSUeagle1089:
The Socom I mentioned is in an Sage EBR chassis for $1900 that is a heckuva deal, I'd scoop it up myself if I had the funds.
What's wrong with it?
Old December 30, 2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Tucker 1371

Cant tell from the picture and the seller isn't disclosing anything in his post, I'm not going to message him to find out because I don't have the ability to buy the rifle. Wouldn't surprise me if he had just forgot about the listing though and no longer wanted to sell or wanted an outrageous sum for it now.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:27 PM   #9
'88Scrat

Hmm...

Even before all this talk of new legislation $1,900 seems at least $500 to cheap.

The best deal on a scout will cost you around $1,650 or a little more.

Even a used Sage EBR Stock will set you back at least $600; $750 is much more common.

Just curious is all.
Old December 30, 2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Tucker 1371

Have to agree, might just be a typo, he could want $2900. If that price is right though I'm drooling and kicking myself for not asking a little more when I sold my ACR
Old December 31, 2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Jo6pak

For your stated purposes, I'd go with the scout. It's handier to carry and a bit quicker to the shoulder.
I have a Scout and a buddy has a NM Standard with the same optics set-up (Trijicon Accupoint-9x) They are very comparable on accuracy within "hunting" ranges (under 250m)
Also, the difference in the triggers is not really noticable unless shooting from a rest. Yes, Dan's Loaded will shoot slightly better groups off the bench, but for all practical purpoese, they are pretty similar.

Basically, IMO, the lighter weight and quicker, shorter package of the Scout is worth the slight trade-off in long range accuracy. Specially, when using optics where the shorter sight radius is negated.