The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 28, 2012, 10:40 AM   #1
JonathanZ

Can only keep 1 handgun, which one...???

Love my guns, but am going to have to let go of one of my 2 semis to help fund some non -firearm stuff. So for one all around 9mm, including EDC, I have these options:

Glock 26 gen 3 with Truglo TFO's and a Crimson Trace grip. Have 2 standard 10 round magazines with the Pearce grip extensions (+1 and +2 despite the +2 and +3 claims). Also have 2 of the Glock factory 33 round magazines. Carry it in a Blackhawk leather IWB holster, and have a Fobus paddle holster as well. Could sell this package for approximately $750-800.

Sig P226 made in Germany in 2006 with nearly brand new Truglo TFO's. Have 4 factory 15 round magazines and 2 Mec-gar 18 round flush fit magazines. Gun has Hogue grips and I also carry this in a Blackhawk leather IWB holster, but have a Fobus paddle holster as well. Could sell this package for approximately $800-850.

LOVE the Sig, but keeping the Glock makes more practical sense, which leaves me torn. Right now I carry the Glock 90% of the time due to size and weight. I COULD carry the Sig every day, but it's not as easy or comfortable. So which would you guys keep?
Old December 28, 2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Woody55

I'd keep the Glock.

It's small enough to carry but large enough to actually target shoot.

And you'll get more for the SIG which will help you with your other issues.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:45 AM   #3
BGutzman

The ease of carry could be a function of your body size or body shape or it could be as simple as you don't have the right holster for the Sig... I would try a "SHTF" holster or a Crossbreed...

But keep what works for you but me personally I think the Sig is a far superior weapon... but I don't like Glocks... Again use what works for you.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:49 AM   #4
BarryLee

As someone who owns a G26 and a P229 I would keep the SIG. Why? I just like my SIG better and even though both have been very reliable I feel the SIG is more versatile Also, the SIG utilizes magazine capacities over 10 which may not be available in the future. I realize this is a big unknown, but not something to ignore.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 28, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
ScotchMan

I would be looking for every conceivable alternative to selling one of the guns, including putting the $800 on a credit card. But I don't know your financial details so that may be a bad idea depending on specifics.

If it absolutely has to come to this, I'd sell the Sig, because the gun you carry is the most important gun you own. But overall the Sig is a better gun and you will regret losing it later.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old December 28, 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
jmortimer

German Sig
Old December 28, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7
ScotchMan

Another thought is to sell both, and purchase a new in between gun. Either a Glock 19, Sig P229/P224/P239, or other. This would enable you to have one gun that does the job of both, and possibly to re-use some of your magazines and/or aftermarket sites.

I think a Glock 19 or P229 solves the issue fairly well. Something to think about. Now is definitely not a good time to buy though

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old December 28, 2012, 11:03 AM   #8
GRT

LOVE the Sig, but keeping the Glock makes more practical sense, which leaves me torn. Right now I carry the Glock 90% of the time due to size and weight. I COULD carry the Sig every day, but it's not as easy or comfortable.

You have your answer.
Old December 28, 2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Baba Louie

A German SIG? That'd be my keeper. I could always replace the 26 later down the road. Right now the 33 rd magazines for the Glock might get you a premium dollar alone as crazy as things are.

In the end it's your call. Whichever nets you the best $ I suppose.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old December 28, 2012, 12:17 PM   #10
anothernewb

keep the one you love. I think you would regret it later. You're talking a $50-$100 difference there between them

I Don't know your situation, but simply riding a bike or walking to work and the grocery store and other short trips may cover that it terms of gas in less than a month.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:10 PM   #11
jasmith85

Personally I would keep the Sig but judging by what you have said the Glock would probably be better for you. If the Glock is your preferred carry and you intend to continue to carry then it sounds like your best option.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:20 PM   #12
chris in va

Glock, absolutely. Concealing the 226 will be more difficult. You need to go with a practical gun at this juncture, and as funds free up later there will be plenty of used Sigs to choose from later.

BTW don't assume you'll sell the Sig right away. It took three months before I could sell my 220, and even then I had to drop it to $450.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:22 PM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
LOVE the Sig, but keeping the Glock makes more practical sense, which leaves me torn. Right now I carry the Glock 90% of the time due to size and weight. I COULD carry the Sig every day, but it's not as easy or comfortable. So which would you guys keep?
If it was me, I'd keep the Glock.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 28, 2012, 04:01 PM   #14
tristar viper

I have a G19 and a P226, and in the same situation keeping the Glock would be what I would do. The Sig is a pretty clearly superior firearm, but practicality matters too sometimes.
And I really like the idea someone had for you to sell both and get a G19....that's excellent advice if you ask me.
Old December 28, 2012, 04:24 PM   #15
tomrkba

Don't sell either gun.

I have found selling guns off to be more expensive in the long run. It doesn't solve the original financial problem and I end up buying those guns again.

Save up to fund the other stuff. If the financial problem is related to bills and such, you should be able to negotiate an alternative payment plan with the company.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:29 PM   #16
Dashunde

Without doubt I'd keep the G26. No hesitation whatsoever.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:19 PM   #17
tomrkba

You can solve the Glock 26's capacity limitation by using a Glock 19 or 17 magazine. You can shoot the gun as is or add an A&G Grip Adapter for a very nice "bobtail" grip. I use the 10 round magazine with finger rest when carrying it in the appendix position. The finger rest extends far enough over the belt to facilitate the draw, while the 10 round flat base magazine makes it just difficult enough to cause an occasional failure.

Old December 28, 2012, 10:46 PM   #18
Mercenary

Quote:
And I really like the idea someone had for you to sell both and get a G19....that's excellent advice if you ask me.
This
Old December 30, 2012, 07:51 AM   #19
Smit

Flip a coin. You will know which one you want before the coin hits your hand. Works every time.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:07 AM   #20
Sarge

Quote:
If necessity is driving the decision, keep the 26.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:28 AM   #21
AH.74

I have both and would keep the 26. I think its all-around practicality has advantages over the 226. That being said, if there's any way to work around this and keep both, that's what I would do.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:31 AM   #22
aimtrue

Aesthetics and name prestige aside, the two most important factors I believe that should be considered are which pistol do you handle the best and which one is most reliable. All other factors are trumped by these two attributes.

That said, my biased opinion is for you to retain the Glock. Glock models are imperious to environmental conditions of dirt, temperature and humidity, are consistently reliable, as accurate as you can shoot, and easy to strip, clean and lubricate.

Lastly, replacement parts are modestly priced and most always available.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:15 AM   #23
BGutzman

Quote:
Glock models are imperious to environmental conditions of dirt, temperature and humidity, are consistently reliable, as accurate as you can shoot, and easy to strip, clean and lubricate.

Lastly, replacement parts are modestly priced and most always available.
The P226 in a MK 25 Version is carried by the Navy Seals - not Glock, individual operators may carry pretty much whatever they wish.. As an organization its SIG.....

But in the final analysis its all what works for you!
Old December 30, 2012, 10:49 AM   #24
Cheapshooter

Depends on the "other stuff". If it is absolute necessity, not desire, sell the one that makes you the most money. If it is just something you want, find another way.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 30, 2012, 10:55 AM   #25
Zhillsauditor

Glock.