The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 21, 2012, 01:07 AM   #51
TheGoldenState

This random feeling of hate must be my first experience of true jealousy.

Old December 21, 2012, 10:40 AM   #52
Magnum Wheel Man

the "hole" I'm sure you know is a sump pump pit... ( wouldn't have far to slide down the pole ) I have one in each room, but I'm on high ground, & in sugar sand under a couple feet of black dirt, so I doubt I'll ever need them for more than condensate ( from the dehumidifiers )

BTW... the short gun racks sitting on my bench in that last pic, are pieces I made as Christmas presents... I made up 6 sets of them for shooting buddies... so far the design seems really versitile

this weekend, I'm painting a 4ft steel steel desk with a file cabinete drawer in matching blue... it goes in one corner, my medications, & MRS jewlery ( no, sorry, no million dollar diamonds or anything ) & important papers will go in the desk, my watch collection ( vintage pocket & wrist watches ) will go on a board mounted on the wall behind the desk...

... getting to this point, really takes alot of weight off my shoulders, I live in the country, & as there have been alot of neighborhood break ins over the last year... one was my buddies daughter's place, & a lot of guns, & collector coins were stolen... even with an alarm system, I wouldn't expect law enforcement could get to my place in less than 1/2 hour... that's too much time to allow thieves to rummage... so I built the safe / room big enough to encorporate most of the valuables that aren't openly displayed in the house

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:54 PM   #53
Magnum Wheel Man

well... had to take my steel door off, an interiour door & stub wall it was attached to, but finally wiggled a small steel desk into the safe room ( I had foolishly painted it up nice, which I of course scratched the crab out of it getting it down the stairs, around the corners... it was an older steel desk, & was welded, rather than bolted together )... anyway... a little touching up ( much less overspray, than repainting completely ) & it'll look like new... it's got a new stainless top, to match my loading bench, & is painted the same blue as the vinyl on the storage benches...

also got my data cable run, & a small ( 19" ) wall mounted flatscreen TV in the corner with the desk... things are starting to come together nicely

... & of course everything put back together... should have put the desk in along time ago I guess
Old March 3, 2013, 09:52 PM   #54
B1911

Finishing up my walk in gun safe... want to hang on the walls

This is great stuff. Any more follow up pics?
Old March 4, 2013, 08:23 AM   #55
Magnum Wheel Man

follow up pics... nothing new yet ( I spend most of my time working on it ) back room is 3/4 paneled now, a couple more rifle racks up... got my milsurps up, there are 7-8 of them, that range from a nice 6.5mm Jap carbine ( with mum ) to my Garand...

ran into a couple issues so far...

1st, the corrogated steel is frosting above the foam board I've inserted onto the ceiling, on sub zero days, then melts & drips on warmer days... it's not a lot of water, but I don't want anything dripping on anything important... I expirimented by spraying foam directly onto the steel, on one section, that I warmed up good with a little space heater, & I think that will keep the ceiling from sweating, but I'll have to wait until spring / summer to make sure I get good adhesision to the steel... will have to cover everything with plastic, & pull all the foam board down, & spray the entire ceiling this summer

on my inlet air / exhaust ducting I only had time before the snow, to run my 4" PVC ducting out 5 ft, in which I put about about 1" drop in 5 feet... I got enough water off my house roof, that froze into an ice dam, that was 3-4" thick, & one day that everything was melting, I had about 15 gallons of water back run into the exhaust tube, before I got out there & chopped the ice dam, so the water could drain with the fall built into the yard... the floor is sloped nicely to the sump pit, so it didn't create any huge issues... it did get a couple rifles wet, so I had field strip & dry them, but they didn't get any wetter than if I were hunting in the rain, & I caught it right away, so it wasn't too big a deal, but definately something I want to avoid in the future... as soon as spring comes, I'll be adding another 10ft section to each inlet / exhaust duct, & putting an end filter on each, which should keep that from happening again... just need to watch the yard a little better as things melt again this spring

BTW... handguns are on a new style rack, that uses .025 cold rolled steel pins, that I've covered with blue heat shrink tube... these rods insert into the barrels, & up to the cylinders on revolvers... this style rack, takes up less space, holds more guns, & allows a good spot for engraved brass plates that will identify the make model & caliber... I've not done any brass tags yet, but I'm really bad with model numbers & it will help me remember all the info, if I'm showing them to someone... also on the autos, it allows me to keep the magazines with the guns...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 4, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:10 AM   #56
hbhobby

Sounds great! I have been wanting one of those for years. Where did you get your door? I have been looking around but havent gotten the ok from the Boss for the final approval... Yet!
Old March 4, 2013, 09:24 AM   #57
Magnum Wheel Man

I designed it myself, & had it built by my local steel fabricator... it opens in, so I can't get trapped inside, is multiple layers of concrete, steel, & fiberglass insulation, & has a 1/2" full continious hinge
Old March 9, 2013, 05:11 PM   #58
ConstantChange

That is extremely nice. I'd love to have something along those lines.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:17 AM   #59
Magnum Wheel Man

a couple follow up pics...

a couple more pics... mostly of my redesigned handgun racks...

"pocket jewels"

antique double actions 22's & 32's...

antique double actions 38 S&W's to 44's

Attached Images
File Type: jpg basement pocket jewels.JPG (209.4 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg Basement 22 32 double actions.JPG (163.1 KB, 1169 views)
File Type: jpg Basement 38 44 double actions.JPG (197.7 KB, 2126 views)
Old March 14, 2013, 06:21 AM   #60
Magnum Wheel Man

single action rack... paired CAS guns on top, spur trigger collection on lower right, including a Sharpes & Hankins pepper box

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; March 14, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:38 AM   #61
LikesGlock

Hey remember me, I meet you at a family gathering in 2003. Can we be friends again? Ill come over tomorrow if you want?
Old March 16, 2013, 12:07 PM   #62
g.willikers

Wow.
My wife is looking over my shoulder and says she can't imagine what your wife's shoe closed must look like.
Boy, there's going to be one great garage sale at your place, one day.
In the meantime, Enjoy!
And thanks for sharing.
Wonderful.

Last edited by g.willikers; March 16, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old March 29, 2013, 01:00 PM   #63
Skitter

And here I was contemplating how exactly I was going to do a hidden closet in a 3' by 1' area, and thinking it was a logistical nightmare... You got some skills man, and quite a collection...
Old June 4, 2013, 06:36 AM   #64
Magnum Wheel Man

getting ready to do up racks for my Contenders... thinking of doing racks ( using 8" wide boards ) similar to the rifle racks, only with the left peg hole 1" below the right peg hole ( so the barrels will present horizontal & level ) using the steel pegs, with 1/4" holes in the boards & the heat shrink tube... maybe the wood dowels on the right ( under the barrel ) & the steel shrink wrapped peg on the left to fit in the pin holes... the Contenders offer almost more of a challenge, as they vary from 10" to rifle length... I have about 20 different barrels, some with iron sights, some with scopes...

once I get the barrels figured out, I'll need to hang my 4 actions...

anyone who collects Contenders want to describe how they store them ???
Old June 26, 2013, 07:15 AM   #65
Magnum Wheel Man

Thought I'd offer an update... I'm hanging my Contender collection on the walls right now... & putting the finishing touches on a wheeled vertical rack for shot guns, long barreled rifles, single shots, & odds & ends... ( once the vertical rack is completed, everything firearms related will be in the walk in gun safe, displayed, rather than locked away in assorted gun safes )

Contender racks are 2" X 8" X 20" Hackberry with planed & radiused front corners, there are 6 of them evenly spaced across the wall above the back work bench, they will use the steel pins with the heat shrink tube over it ( like the pistols do ) with one peg / pin going through the pin hole on the barrel, each board will hold up to 5 scoped Contender barrels

the wheeled vertical rack uses the wheels I removed from 2 Craftsman tool box bases I built into my back work bench, is 24" wide, & 7' long, & has a 2 X 6 base with 3/4" plywood over the top of the 2 X 6's ( this will be covered by vinyl later ) the edges of the 2 X 6's will be covered with stubs of the hackberry paneling & stick up 2" past the plywood, to retain the stocks of the long guns... a pair of 40" 2 X 6 hackberry boards with radiused edges stand up on each short side, mounted to the bottom of the 2 X 6 frame, they stick up like 34" above the plywood on the top, a 7' matching board goes across & attaches to the tops of the 2 X 6's on each end... this board will be notched for barrels to retain the long guns... there is room for 50 cal ammo cans down the middle for ammo storage...

... I've also pulled all the foam board off the ceiling, ( still had water trapped up there from melting frost, from the winter... I'll be applying spray foam directly to the corrugated steel, to eliminate the frost build up during the winter, that happened in the raised portions of the steel, above the foam boards...

my back work bench, uses 2 Craftsman tool box bases, for drawers, & uses 3 layers of 3/4" plywood for the bench top ( should be plenty sturdy ) the bench top will be skinned with stainless sheet, like the front bench, & my Lee turret press will mount back there ( can't wait to get that up & running )... once the last of the long guns get transferred to the new walk in gun safe room, I can sell my old safes at next years local gun show... really looking forward to getting everything displayed, yet fully safe from theft or fire ( never did really trust those smaller fire "resistant / proof" safes, if the house burned...