The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 20, 2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Sixshotz6

Rock river/utg parts ?

A friend of mine recently purchased, what he was told was a rock river m16a4 (removable carry handle). He then noticed that the carry handle had utg pro stamp on it, as well as on the quad rail. I was wondering if the seller ordered the rifle then maybe switched out the carry handle/iron sights etc. with cheaper utg parts? Is this common?
Old December 20, 2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Beentown71

Never seen an RRA with UTG parts. Must have been changed out.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old December 20, 2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Yung.gunr

I doubt if it's common, but I'm sure it has happened a bit. I don't know about all the UTG hate that goes on forums. Never used any of their stuff. For what 99% of us need it for UTG is probably sufficient. Us gun guys are not usually totally above the name brand crazes.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Quentin2

Was the RRA purchased new or used? Sounds used, was it a good price considering the cheap additions?
Old December 21, 2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Sixshotz6

Its new, but not off a store shelf. He got it for a good price, but now I guess I know why.
Old December 21, 2012, 01:13 PM   #6
RC20

RRA would not use a UTG. Doesn't make it a problem.

I got a set of UTG BUIS (at the price of BUIS and the fact that if I ever needed them it would be 100 yds or less they just had to work).

They were fine. Nothing pretty, but the rear peep works well and they adjusted windage fine.

My (and I do mean my) only mistake was that the front was for a gas block mount on an AR and mine went on a solid rail.

Upshot was I had a grand time grinding down the post and sight base itself to work (shot way too high) . I had the tools to do it and it worked fine. Looks ugly but appeal to the Mcyver in me.

Functionally there was no issue.
Old December 21, 2012, 03:36 PM   #7
JimDandy

I have tried UTG stuff. I was not impressed. For the price you pay it isn't bad. Some things, it's worth getting. I have a UTG scope that I don't use, but didn't hate enough to send back either. It's a "Meh" purchase. I wasn't impressed, but I'll keep it for something to play with if I ever get the urge.

I also tried out a UTG bipod. That one went back. For being a device to stead and support the gun, it really did neither compared to even the midrange stuff from Caldwell.
Old December 21, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Sounds like the "ole switch-a-roo" to me.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 22, 2012, 06:46 AM   #9
Mobuck

"what he was told" is the key phrase.
I have a half dozen AR's that I could sell as name brand(hence higher value)because of the logo on the lower. It can be difficult to determine if the upper is, in fact, the same manufacturer as the lower. In this case, probably not. More likely , some joker bought a RRA stripped lower, hammered it together in his garage, collected some random upper parts, and stuck it all together to sell. Whether it functions as well as a factory built rifle is up to the new owner to find out.
Old December 23, 2012, 01:34 AM   #10
Quentin2

Mobuck has a good point, we can't assume anything more than the stripped lower is RRA. Sixshotz6, you might want to mention this to your friend. And look at the barrel markings to see if you can identify it.

I'd scrutinize all the parts, especially the barrel and BCG.