The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old December 17, 2012, 02:22 PM   #26
Sevens

It seems horribly obvious that your problem with the Lee Safety Scale was not in the scale itself but in the operator. Indeed, it was FAR too sensitive to be used by someone who "never understood it."
Old December 17, 2012, 03:07 PM   #27
browninghunter86

interesting because I purchased the RCBS 5-0-5 and it works perfect. Very repeatable and 110 times easier to set up and zero.

"never understood it" was referring to the design/adjustments of the scale. Not me not knowing how to use it

0.2" groups now show no user error to me
Old August 12, 2014, 01:36 PM   #28
Bart B.

The only thing a chip in a digital scale does is use simple grade school math to convert a voltage from its pressure sensor to a number representing some weight, convert it to a signal to drive an LCD display and adjust the conversion factor if it doesn't match a calibration weight. They're about 1/100,000,000th as complicated as the multiple chip sets in cell/smart phones. Weighing ammo components is a very simple electronic task.

Much more important for either type is repeatability. Doesn't matter if one's 3/10th grain off weighing a calibration weight. If the same thing is weighed a hundred times, it better be the same +/- 1/10th grain every time , every day at worst after being calibrated and zeroed. It's a waste of everything to be more precise. Weighing powder to small fractions of a powder stick, ball or flake is rediculous.
NRA Smallbore Prone Master

Last edited by Bart B.; August 12, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:49 PM   #29
Sevens

Quote:
Smartreloader iSD Automatic Powder Scale & Dispenser is any one using this ?? Need a bit of advice ?? Thanks
My genuine advice for the good of one and all everywhere:

if it is branded as SmartReloader
if it is boxed/painted/colored bright yellow with that name

do not buy the product at any price
These products are all shoddily built chinese junk items and that simply is NOT the worst aspect of them.

Many/most of these products are direct rip-offs and copies (illegally done) of current products on the market. They're stealing products and ideas from all the companies that have been serving the handloader for decades. And their versions of the product are generally train-wreck bad.

To purchase these products and support the activity is to hurt the entire industry.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:06 PM   #30
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Resurrected by post moved to new thread
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Closed Thread