The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 24, 2012, 03:24 PM   #26
Uncle Malice

I'll give another vote for the M&P 40. Between the Glock, XD, and M&P, I found the M&P to be the best shooter.

The only 40 I still own, however, is the XDM. That's only because it has a beautiful powder river precision trigger kit in it. I'm actually trying to get out of 40 altogether, but I actually like this gun a lot and I've got too much into it, I'd probably take a bath if I tried to sell it.

I've owned a lot of pistols I'm most calibers.. I prefer to stick with 9mm, 45acp, and 10mm in semi auto.
Old November 24, 2012, 03:42 PM   #27
themalicious0ne

I second the CZ75B in .40S&W. You hear a lot about the CZ75 in 9mm. I believe all the praise to be equal in the .40. I used it while working armed a while back, qualified with it with perfect scores, and use it in competition pin shooting for fun. I like the recoil because of the weight of the gun. It's way more accurate than I am. I've carried it in all weather conditions and have put around 3000 rounds down the pipe without ANY malfunction. I even let it get to 500 rounds between cleaning just trying to force a FTE or something of the like... No go. There are many very good comments on here and I agree with all posts stated. Really with the information presented before you from these guys. If you choose one of the more supported of these, you cant go wrong. Good luck.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:33 PM   #28
dgludwig

I have two .40 S&W cal. pistols, an HK USP 40 and a Smith Model 4006, that are my favorite forties. As others have mentioned, both of these pistols were designed around the .40 cal. and I think their stellar performances in terms of handling, accuracy, functioning and long-term durability reflect said design parameters. One bonus for opting for the discontinued Model 4006 is that good condition police trade-ins can still be had at very reasonable prices.
Old December 1, 2012, 08:53 AM   #29
rodfac

LockedBreach...Excellent reply (post #24)...I've saved your dissertation on .40 cal. pistols to my "don't delete" gun info files. Your's was a well written, knowledgeable response to the OP's question.

For the most part, I'm a 1911 guy (with two buying aberrations into Sig's (P2290) and Glock(G-19)), so when I get questions on other more modern design pistols, I generally send the questioners to TFL. Your post 'bout sums up most of the leading candidates in .40. How 'bout doing one on 9mm's in carry/compact sizing?

Best Regards, Rod
Old December 1, 2012, 09:20 AM   #30
MonsterB

I happen to own a g23 and a 229, althogh the sig is a 9mm. The g23 had been my carry and all around favorite gun. Mines a gen4 and has rocked since day one, great shooter, accurate, and very light. Loaded it weighs a bit less than the 229 empty. They are very close in size, with the sig having a thicksr grip and slightly narrower slide. The glock is more streamlined and dehorned, as they say, which I like. The sig is much better looking, fits at least my hand like perfection, and just seems much higher quality. I am waffling between the two guns as which to carry, and for the most part I am sticking with the glock. I wont mind as much if it gets beat up, taken away by the police after a shooting, or whatever. I shoot the best with the glock. I think whichever you chose you will love the gun.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:13 PM   #31
erikivy

I routinely carry either a full size M&P 40 or an SR40C. The Ruger is a tad bit easier to conceal, but the difference is not as big as you might expect. Anyway, both are reliable, more accurate than me and comfortable in the hand with a very natural grip. If I had to pick only one, the M&P would get the nod without a doubt, but the Ruger can be had a little cheaper.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:40 PM   #32
treg

You owe it to yourself to check out the SR40 / SR40c from Ruger. Top quality, reliable guns and the best striker fired pistol trigger on the market.

.44 Special: For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible.

Last edited by treg; December 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:47 PM   #33
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfac
LockedBreach...Excellent reply (post #24)...I've saved your dissertation on .40 cal. pistols to my "don't delete" gun info files. Your's was a well written, knowledgeable response to the OP's question.

For the most part, I'm a 1911 guy (with two buying aberrations into Sig's (P2290) and Glock(G-19)), so when I get questions on other more modern design pistols, I generally send the questioners to TFL. Your post 'bout sums up most of the leading candidates in .40. How 'bout doing one on 9mm's in carry/compact sizing?

Best Regards, Rod
Thanks for the kind words, Rod. I don't consider myself as well-informed or experienced with the smaller 9mms as I am with .40 S&W handguns, but I know enough about enough of them that it might be helpful. The biggest challenge is that there are just so darn many carry/compact nines these days. We really are spoiled for choice. I'll try to run through a few of the big players, and I'll stick closer to single-stack dedicated carry guns rather than double-stack backup pistols like the Ruger SR9c, Smith & Wesson M&P 9c, HK P2000SK, Sig Sauer P224, and Glock 26 (though all of those are excellent in their own ways except perhaps for the not-sure-what-it-wants-to be P224). I will note that like the earlier list, this list is informed by my prejudices and knowledge. Undoubtedly I'll miss a few great guns, and other popular guns (like the Taurus PT709 Slim) I may omit intentionally because I do not believe in the quality of the brand.

Again, disclaimer. Before you get mad at me, feel free to disagree or add your favorite, but I make no claim that this list is objective or correct for everyone. These are just my impressions having shot all of the below but the 938, Shield, and Solo.

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - 9mm version
Est. Cost $399-425

Undoubtedly the hot ticket in current compact nines, in my opinion, and the only one I cannot get my hands on to try no matter how much I attempt to. By all accounts, it's one of the best-considered carry nines ever, with a well-thought out design that is tough, smooth-edged, and light. A possible downside for some users might be the manual safety, which is an optional feature on the larger M&P guns but a default option here. The trigger on the Shield is generally agreed to be the best of any M&P gun, though rumors abound that Smith & Wesson is installing this superior trigger in the larger guns.

Walther PPS - 9mm version
Est. Cost $500-550

The ruler of the roost before the Shield, in my estimation. The PPS is an odd-looking but very well-made pistol that is very similar to the Shield's. It is perhaps slightly more difficult to conceal, but the lack of a safety is a plus in the eyes of some and the trigger is well-designed and easy to shoot well. Like the Sheld's, it's a short take-up, quick-reset, Glock-style trigger. The European style magazine release that is a hinged switch in the trigger guard rather than a push-button may be an issue for some. The quality is excellent, but I'm not sure it's $100 better. Nevertheless, an excellent option.

Kahr Arms CM9/PM9
Est. Cost $350-400 (CM9); $550-600 (PM9)

These little guys are popular. the CM9 and PM9 are essentially the same gun. Kahr reduced manufacturing cost of the CM9 by using simpler rollmarks on the slide, using metal-injection molding (MIM) parts (the 1911-lover's bane) on the slide release and a few other parts, if memory serves, and less smoothing/dehorning of the slide was done. The triggers on these are long, but smooth and light, sort of like the Walther P99 Anti-Stress trigger's first pull, or a Beretta Type-C PX4 (Constant Action).

Ruger LC9
Est. Cost $350-400

The successor to the .380 LCP and a very popular little gun. Very smooth and contoured, probably the easiest of these to carry, light and snagless. In a few important aspects it differs from the LCP. First, it has a safety, which like the M&P Shield's might be enough to dissuade some users. Second, it has a sort-of-obnoxious loaded chamber indicator (though users who like the SR-series pistols won't mind it, it's the same LCI). Most troubling, the LC9 has been plagued by rare and infrequent but narratively consistent reports of a catastrophic flaw - extractors that blow out. While this happens in a very small number of LC9s, the fact that it is an error reported with at least decent regularity has been enough to stop me from buying my beloved LCP an older sibling.

Sig Sauer P938
Est. Cost $600-700

As is the Sig Sauer norm, these are expensive but well-made. A successor to the .380 P238 (just like the LC9 is the successor to the LCP in Ruger's lineup), it carries cocked-and-locked like a 1911 without a grip safety, meaning it needs a solid-quality holster. The initial batch of these are in the definite teething phase, and I've read regular reports of failures to eject, load, stovepiping, etc. I'm not too worried as a number of early guns - even the P238 this guy is based on - had those troubles at first. If the problems persist a year from now, I'll consign this design to my personal dustbin, but until then it's a svelte, sexy 1911-like pocket piece I am going to keep watching.

Beretta Nano - 9mm version
Est. Cost $380-450

Beretta's answer to the slim-nines. I'm a big Beretta fan, so my feelings on this one are mixed. The quality is absolutely there, with well-machined parts and some cool design features like an utterly snagless exterior (even without a protruding slide release, which will be a problem for some users) and a modular chassis that lets you swap out the frame for different colored ones or a new one if yours is damaged. No external safety and a Glock-like trigger that is crisp, but a bit heavy. Troubling initial reports of bad function with "weaker" rounds like the 115-grain Wal-Mart creampuff rounds, the same kind that have been encountered with the Kimber Solo. This is caused by the guns being designed to function well and comfortably with combat-hotness loads like 124 +p. Nevertheless, I consider the inability to reliably function with Wally World ammo unforgivable, and will wait for these teething issues to be ironed out. Also, the bore axis is a bit high and the grip is a bit short, making it have a bit more flip than other pocket nines. In sum, I really want to like the Nano, and I believe Beretta will iron out the function issues. Also, for the cost it's a steal for the Beretta brand name, just like the Shield - and M&P series as a whole - is a steal for the Smith & Wesson one. All told, though, it's not the slim-nine for me.

Kimber Solo Carry
Est. Cost $700-800

This exorbitantly priced but beautiful slim-nine is one of the best on the market for smoothness, quality, and concealability...too bad it's haunted by the same issue all Kimbers are haunted by - a fantastic gun if it gets properly quality controlled, a nightmare if it does not. I have heard the same weak-ammo failure reports on this as I did about the Nano, and even a few tales of the manual safety falling off of the gun. Also, Kimber says they only want you using premium defensive ammo it, which is laughable. I don't have the burnable money to spent $400 testing a gun and $50 a month practice. I expect few too. The beautiful design of the Solo make me want it, but the expense, poor Kimber warranty (much worse than Smith's or Ruger's, especially), and error reports lead me away from it.

Sig Sauer P290
Est. Price $500-600

The P290 has just been re-released in a new version with restrike capability, and comes in two-tone variety like most Sigs. It's an oddly shaped, sorta-clunky, short-gripped pocket-nine, and lacks the smooth lines and natural presentment of some of the others like the Shield, PPS, and LC9. It makes up a lot of ground by having consistently excellent reports of reliability.

The same disclaimer as above. I am no expert, these are informed by my opinions. I have shot all but the Solo, the Shield, and the Sig 938.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | Rock Island GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP; 10/22 | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Remington 870 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 |1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30 | Walther PPS

Last edited by LockedBreech; December 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 01:38 PM   #34
tahunua001

alright I classify my suggestions into 3 categories.
1. best bang for your buck. the Ruger SR40. it does not shine like a rolex but it'll keep time just as well. for $400 you will not find another handgun that can do it's duty quite as well. the trigger, ergos(subjective), accuracy and fit/finish might not be up to the standards of a $800+ gun but it's still far from reproach.

2. best striker fired gun: Springfield XDM40. this is just my personal opinion but in my experience the XDM has the best ergonomics, trigger, reliability(now that glocks QC is in decline) and ammo capacity of any other striker fired handgun on the market today. at $600 they are comparable in price to the FN Herstal FNS or smaller batch Glocks.

3. best hammer fired gun: the Sig Sauer P226(or whatever they call the 40 cal version of the 226). great feel in hand, accuracy, recoil management, and reliable. kindof pricey at $800 and ugly by some peoples standards but there are very few guns that can compete.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old December 1, 2012, 02:03 PM   #35
taylor351

I have a P226 in .40. Though it is the only .40 I have, so my opinion is skewed, I do like and would recommend it.
Old December 1, 2012, 03:10 PM   #36
Seaman

"Best (or at least really good) .40 " [dayman]

The best I have shot in 40 cal is the Springfield XDm 40. Dead center, 3/4" group. Really surprised me...guess they do come with match grade barrels. Decent trigger too.

Good luck with your decision.
Old December 1, 2012, 05:13 PM   #37
RC20

Cost wise the Sig SP2022 is close to the Barreta. Very good gun at a very good price. If you go DA/SA its an option (particularly if its a night stand gun). Does nicely as a range gun but its not a pure range gun per se (4 inch barrel, not easily adjustable sights)

Right around $400 with night sights.

A simpler gun than the P229 et al and lower than glock.

It designed around 40 cal though. Also 357 Sig. While you see the 9mm that will not interchange barrels like the other two so it is different.

PX4 Storm is also not a bad gun but I don't think as good a feel as the Sig and the grip is not nearly as good.
Old December 1, 2012, 09:37 PM   #38
Kevin_d77

I also have the 4" Service XD40 and I really have nothing but good things to say about it as far as polymer guns go!
Old December 2, 2012, 07:20 AM   #39
tristar viper

If you have the funds, don't even think twice about it; buy the Sig.
If you ever carry the gun though, (which wasn't mentioned) then you might reconsider. I hate having a heavy gun on my side....can't stand it. I personally find the 229 to be too heavy for comfortable carry. If that's the case, Glock.

Excellent posts, lockedbreech. I wish we could always have such well though out and knowledgable postings on here.
Old December 2, 2012, 07:23 AM   #40
tristar viper

"best bang for your buck. the Ruger SR40. it does not shine like a rolex but it'll keep time just as well."

I love that line
Old December 3, 2012, 12:42 AM   #41
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar viper View Post
If you have the funds, don't even think twice about it; buy the Sig.
If you ever carry the gun though, (which wasn't mentioned) then you might reconsider. I hate having a heavy gun on my side....can't stand it. I personally find the 229 to be too heavy for comfortable carry. If that's the case, Glock.

Excellent posts, lockedbreech. I wish we could always have such well though out and knowledgable postings on here.
Appreciate the kind words tristar