The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Ronbert

It's like any other fascination that can overtake you.
Could be guitars, sports cars, girlfriends, horses or Lladro collections.

If you have to have them all right now even if you can't afford them, you're on the road to trouble.

But unlike girlfriends or Lladros, guns mostly keep their value and unlike horses and girlfriends, don't mind if you don't pay attention to them for awhile.

In some frames of reference, extra guns are hard economic goods which could be bartered if necessary.
Old November 23, 2012, 09:06 PM   #27
GlockSevenTeen

Wow, I wasn't expecting all the great responses but it's interesting to hear about everyone's approach. I definitely liked the one idea about not using any credit cards / primary job funds and instead picking up a side job for discretionary spending.
Old November 24, 2012, 08:54 AM   #28
Warrior1256

I've never went into debt to buy firearms. When I see one that I want I buy it if I can afford it at the time. It I can't afford it I wait until I can.

I don't have an extensive firearms collection but those firearms that I do have are quality pieces. I built up my modest collection over the last 35 yrs.
Old November 24, 2012, 09:22 AM   #29
Grant D

I get paid three time a month,and each payday I stick a hundred dollar bill away in my wallet for gun purchase's.

Usualy, it's been S&W snubbies,but I've got the Colt bug,and I'm looking for a Colt Python at the moment.I have a Detective Special,Officers Model Match,and a Lawman so far.Next wil be a Trooper.

I quit buying new,because,like a car, it depreciates as soon as you walk out the door.
What I pay for a used one, I can always get back(or more) if I sell it.
Old November 24, 2012, 09:43 AM   #30
chasgrips45

When I started collecting in the early seventies ,I would buy a gun on impulse sometimes. It started the process where I just had to have that particular gun. I would trade a recent purchase ,lose My ass on the trade ,& pay dear for the new gun! That needed to stop real quick! After a while the "fever" wears off ,& then you pick & choose what you really would like to own. These guns have stayed with me for years & I still like to see them, & shoot them. I think we fool ourselves ,when we buy a gun & say to ourselves (or our significant others) don`t worry hon, this gun will be worth a fortune in 5 years! Yeah right! Just my opinion,& observations.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:50 AM   #31
flgunguy

Wife has me on 2 handguns per yr, or 1 rifle.

That got waived because it was an election year. I got an AR, an AK, optics, rails, bipods, bulk ammo, and 2 handguns. The first & only time I will ever say gee thanks Obama. My shopping was done 2 weeks prior to the election.

If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Old November 29, 2012, 02:03 AM   #32
Redhawk5.5+P+

Don't listen to me.

Quote:
Forums and sites like www.lionseek.com/guns, and www.armslist.com are already getting me in trouble with the wife.
Lose the wife or the bad habit!

I understand, I bought $600 gun and put another $900+ into it, and that was holding back.

Take your time and not get so anxious.

TBS, I'd rather have one really cool gun than a bunch of mediocre guns.