The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 23, 2012, 06:29 PM   #26
defcon

Quote:
Defcon,
Could you elaborate more on how you built those awesome .22's? I would be interested in doing something like that myself dependent upon labor involved and cost.
theyre just gutted airsoft stocks dremeled out to make the .22 action/barrel drop right in. i just looked at how people inletted their action/barrel on wooden stocks and figured i can do the same with cutting up plastic and metal.

these stocks are cheap if you buy them used or internally broken for $60-$200 a piece.
Old November 23, 2012, 06:30 PM   #27
defcon

Quote:
Defcon--all I can say is.....WOW!!!!!

That is one SWEET collection! All of those are .22's?

VERY well made!

We are NOT worthy....
thanks man

yea theyre all .22's except for the 2 rifles in the back. its an .223 AR15 and a Saiga 12 shotgun.

i bought the AR and Saiga 12 first before the .22LR bug bit me.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:17 PM   #28
Powderman

Very nice.

So, you just mount the actions inside the stocks? That's an idea.

Do you have a favorite action to work with?
Old November 23, 2012, 10:11 PM   #29
Dr Big Bird PhD

Could you potentially change the actions of any of these weapons, such as the ACR or SCAR, to their actual calibers? Or would that cost more money than just buying the real thing
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 23, 2012, 10:33 PM   #30
defcon

Quote:
Very nice.

So, you just mount the actions inside the stocks? That's an idea.

Do you have a favorite action to work with?
yes its just the action sitting inside a stock. same thing people do that buy the wood, carve the wood and inlet/bed it for the action to drop in.

i just buy the closest thing to a 1:1 scale replica of a real firearm and airsoft stocks are the best route

i dont like the 10/22 because theyre too expensive especially since i want each stock to have its own .22 action inside

now im doing Marlin 60's because theyre cheaper ($70) a piece and i dont have to deal with magazines.
Old November 23, 2012, 10:34 PM   #31
defcon

Quote:
Could you potentially change the actions of any of these weapons, such as the ACR or SCAR, to their actual calibers? Or would that cost more money than just buying the real thing
i wouldnt know how to do that. im not a gunsmith.
i dont own an ACR or SCAR.
Old November 26, 2012, 09:42 PM   #32
stu925

I don't own it but I recently had the opportunity to shoot the ATI GSG522 carbine. Had a few issues that need to be rectified: Bolt would sometimes fail to go all the way forward, trigger return spring would not bring the trigger far enough forward to reset the trigger (we actually had to push it forward), and there were several failures to feed with a portion of the bullet being sheared off by the feed ramp. There were also 2 rounds that were very loud when fired, after the second one I observed smoke pouring out of the receiver and told the owner he'd better stop shooting. When he removed the magazine and opened the bolt I watched as a .22 LR case head fell out of the receiver. A quick inspection revealed that the rest of the case was not in the gun, it was found on the ground. I suspect this was an out of battery discharge and not an ammo issue but who knows. Gun was going to a gunsmith to be looked at and may end up going back to the manufacturer. I hope the STG-44 is a better gun because I want one of those.

Stu