The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 17, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

AR "Build" Sheet Accurate, Serviceable, Affordable parts...

Not the farkles and skittles add on items... Just the required items to build the actual rifle...

In .223 i would like to help some buddies realize we can put together an equal or better AR than the ones on the shelf at walmart...

Upper, Lower, action, trigger group, barrel, and stocks... That sort of thing...

Please name Brand and if needed, item/part numbers and approx. price of said components...

NO ONE NEEDS TO ARGUE ANOTHER MEMBER'S SUGGESTIONS UNLESS THE COMPONENT IS KNOWN BY MANY TO BE A FAILURE!!!

NO BRAND OF COMPONENT IS OFF THE TABLE AS WELL!!!

I ALSO AM TRYING TO AVOID ANY "PROPRIETARY" RIFLES REQUIRING SAME BRAND COMPONENTS!!!

REQUIRED MACHINING TO USE CERTAIN ITEMS WILL BE CONSIDERED SO PLEASE MENTION IF IT IS REQUIRED OF THE ITEM YOU MENTION PLEASE!!!

Thanks in advance...
Brent
Old November 17, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Got this off of 4chan a long while ago. As such, some of the information is a little dated, but it's still good.

http://imgur.com/a/UkWRA#0
Old November 18, 2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Quentin2

Most of us "builders" buy a complete upper or one minus the BCG and charging handle, then find those parts. Also a quality milspec stripped lower, LPK and milspec receiver extension kit and milspec diameter stock of your choice. Then of course add a sling and rear sight. And front sight if your upper doesn't have the standard A2 FSB.

Lately PSA has been the bang for the buck brand around here. BCM is a great choice and is considered a cut above most others in its price range.
Old November 18, 2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Marquezj16

Example of 20" Rifle Build + tools

Parts
M&P 15 stripped lower - $140
Bushmaster LPK - $50
RRA A2 Buttstock Kit - $60
YHM charging handle - $24
BCM Upper Receiver Kit - $79
BCM bolt carrier group - $139
DPMS rifle hand guard - $26
Miscellaneous Upper parts - $92
FN M16 A2 20" Barrel - $206
Carry handle sight - $60
Parts total - $876

Tools
Bench Vise - $50
ProMag Vise Block Set - $34
Armorers tool - $28
Roll Pin punch set - $16
Brass hammer and punch set - $20

Tools total - $148

Grand total of $1024 plus s/h and tax (about $60)
Old November 18, 2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Marquezj16

Quote:
Lately PSA has been the bang for the buck brand around here. BCM is a great choice and is considered a cut above most others in its price range.
PSA has some of the best prices when in stock. Their uppers can take some time to ship as they are build to order. It would have saved me some money if I went the rifle kits that they use to offer. Their lowers are only $99.
Old November 18, 2012, 01:30 AM   #6
djcantr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquezj16
Parts
M&P 15 stripped lower - $140
Bushmaster LPK - $50
RRA A2 Buttstock Kit - $60
YHM charging handle - $24
BCM Upper Receiver Kit - $79
BCM bolt carrier group - $139
DPMS rifle hand guard - $26
Miscellaneous Upper parts - $92
FN M16 A2 20" Barrel - $206
Carry handle sight - $60
Parts total - $876

Tools
Bench Vise - $50
ProMag Vise Block Set - $34
Armorers tool - $28
Roll Pin punch set - $16
Brass hammer and punch set - $20

Tools total - $148

Grand total of $1024 plus s/h and tax (about $60)
Where are you finding the FN 20" barrels for $206 and BCM BCGs for $139?
Old November 18, 2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Marquezj16

The barrel I got from OOW - looks like they don't carry them anymore. They do have some m16 A2 uppers minus FA for $335.

The BCM BCG were from BCM. Looks like they are out of stock and $20 more.

Wow, looks like the you can't build a rifle with my listed parts. Either sold out or just not available.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:05 AM   #8
djcantr

You didn't say what you wanted from the rifle so I'm not going to assume but just post what I'm building right now. Prices do not include shipping. Also, Green Mountain charges sales tax on their barrels no matter where you live. Some of these were caught on sale. I would have ordered a FN barrel had I found them in stock at the time.

PSA blem lower $60
Surplus A2 stripped upper with rear sight $85
Green Mountain 20" A2 5.56mm 1:7" barrel $160
PSA A2 butt stock kit with LPK $99
BCM BCG $159
A2 rifle handgaurds $18
Handgaurd cap free from LGS
PSA upper build kit $35
FSB $35
Parts for FSB $12
Pin on FSB by Adco $111
A2 flash hider $10
Gas tube and roll pin $11
BCM Gunfighter charging handle $50

I think that's all of the parts. Total of $845. Keep in mind that doesn't include shipping charges for all of the orders which would probably add on $80 or so.

If buying a stripped barrel, don't forget to factor in the cost of a FSB and having it pinned on. For a strictly range gun, I'd be fine with a set screw or clamp on FSB or gas block. When I build a 3 gun rifle it will likely have a clamp on gas block because I'll use an optic and offset irons. Won't be counting on that rifle for my life, though. For a rifle I might use in a defensive situation, I'd rather have a FSB taper pinned on. If your FSB comes loose you no longer have a good front sight and your rifle becomes a single shot as you'd have to charge each round. I understand most gunsmiths don't have the tools and fixtures to do this. Adco comes recommended for this service and charges $111 if you supply the FSB. Once you add in the cost of the FSB and having it pinned on with shipping both ways, buying a barrel assembly instead of a stripped barrel becomes pretty attractive.

Watch for PSA to have their blemished stripped lowers and uppers in stock. $60 and $50 respectively is pretty damn cheap. I bought four lowers and a couple uppers.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:26 AM   #9
djcantr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquezj16
The barrel I got from OOW - looks like they don't carry them anymore. They do have some m16 A2 uppers minus FA for $335.

The BCM BCG were from BCM. Looks like they are out of stock and $20 more.

Wow, looks like the you can't build a rifle with my listed parts. Either sold out or just not available.
I was just asking because I was itching to buy some if you had a source.

BCM has had their BCGs in and out of stock quite a bit lately. Seems they get a batch in once a week or so and they're gone within an hour. I've bought a couple recently at $159, one direct from BCM and one from G&R Tactical.

To the OP, don't use a questionable BCG.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:15 AM   #10
Metal god

I would not build the upper , only the lower . There will be less tools to buy . If your a handy guy or your friends are you most likely have the tools to build the lower already .

As for the parts . I agree PSA has the best prices and great quality .

stripped blem lower $60 ( 99% of reviews say they can't even see the blemish) Out of stock now but they have them all the time
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-receiver.html

Complete LPK including Magpul MOE stock & buffer tube $145
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...kit-black.html

Complete upper /minus BCG & charging handle $319
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ng-handle.html

BCG & handle $170
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145235?cm_vc=S014
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ndle-6406.html

Total $700 not including shipping add $50-ish

This rifle would be just as good as any sub 1k rifle out there and better then many if not most . If you have some time you can wait for all this stuff to go on sale . I often see these very same items on sale . I've seen the uppers for $279 the LPK for $129 the BCG for $119 and thats $100 less so if you take your time you can build a complete AR for just over $600 .good luck

I did this AR build in the same way as the above for $600 and this one does not have the Magpul furnture

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 18, 2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:00 AM   #11
rebs

What about one of the kits advertised in Shotgun News, they include everything except the stripped lower ? They have them from R-guns, BCM and others.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:07 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2
Most of us "builders" buy a complete upper or one minus the BCG and charging handle, then find those parts. Also a quality milspec stripped lower, LPK and milspec receiver extension kit and milspec diameter stock of your choice. Then of course add a sling and rear sight. And front sight if your upper doesn't have the standard A2 FSB.

+1

PSA well have uppers on a "black friday" sale, under $300 for mil-spec upper less BCG and CH. CORE15 has BCG and CH at great prices.

I have two local firearm forums with a lot of used AR stuff, a few good deals can be found. AR prices are up a lot from one year ago.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:00 PM   #13
djcantr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs
What about one of the kits advertised in Shotgun News, they include everything except the stripped lower ? They have them from R-guns, BCM and others.
I'd steer clear of the RGUNS kits. They don't list any specs for the parts. I wouldn't trust them. I haven't seen BCM selling any kits like you describe.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:16 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks so far... Sorry I didn't reply sooner... Spilled a big ol' tall cup of coffee in my laptop and it is still drying, so I am on the wife's PC in the interim...

Brent
Old November 19, 2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Metal god

How about this setup , Complete AR 15 for $530 . I have 1 complete Del-Ton and 1 that I did a custom build with and they both work really well . IMO there is not an AR out there that can touch this for the price .

Complete Del-Ton rifle kit ( minus the stripped lower) $470
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/891...tstock-pre-ban

Stripped blem lower (PSA) $60
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/891...tstock-pre-ban

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 19, 2012, 01:52 PM   #16
djcantr

I wouldn't buy a Del-ton kit or rifle. I've read too many bad things about them. Might luck out and not have any problems but I'd rather be sure I was using quality parts.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:08 PM   #17
zukiphile

My two cents.

I have a del ton two stage trigger and no complaints. With a midway discount I believe it was $90.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:19 PM   #18
Metal god

If you don't mind can you be more specific about what you have heard or read . As well as a link of the article . I'd like to know what to be looking for seeing how I own two of them . Granted I only have about 12 to 15 hundred round throught them . I have had no real issues with either so far .I did have a bad disconect on one and replaced it but thats it . I guess I'll start keeping my fingers crossed .

EDIT : just did a quick google search on Del-ton problems . Seems they did have extractor problems when Del-ton first started making complete rifles . I could not find any recent problems .

Last edited by Metal god; November 19, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:42 PM   #19
TMD

Go to AR15sales.com, you can get a complete Stag model 2H rifle kit for $614 shipped. All you need is a lower which can be had for about $100-$125 and 10 minutes to assemble it and your in business.
Old November 19, 2012, 11:16 PM   #20
djcantr

Metal god,

I haven't taken the time to really search for reports of bad quality from Del-ton, but these are a few I found very quickly. I apologize as I don't have time this evening to search further. I've just heard too many bad stories about them to buy one for myself. If you have good luck with yours, great. Not knocking your rifles. Just saying I wouldn't buy one personally.

http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.ht...f=118&t=533663

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rif...-problems.html

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-564055.html

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=235738

http://www.longislandfirearms.com/fo...elton-quality/

http://archery.ar15.com/archive/topi...3&f=4&t=391747
Old November 20, 2012, 12:20 AM   #21
Metal god

djcantr

Thanks I'll keep my eyes open for bolt issues .No offence taken . I really wanted to know what you found . Thats what I found as well in my search . Most of those are over a year old . It looks like they had some groing pains when they first started selling complete rifles .. I know that they do MPT on the BCG and stake there gas keys now so those things should not be a problem anymore .The third article down is from this year and that has me concerned . I'm concerned about the feeding problems in that one article from this year . I have 7 30rd PMAGS 2 20rd PMAGS 4 AR Stoner SS mags and 2 other metal off brand mags . The two 20rd PMAGS have feeding problems but the rest of them work great . The two 20rd PMAGS are the older model that I here have issues .

I did a 100 round torture test on the Magpul flip up front sight on a gas block a few weeks ago and the gun had no problems shooting that 100rds . I fired 100rds in 82 sec timed . That does not seem all that fast at first untill you consider I'm in CA . Ten round max aloud per mag . I had to do 10 mag dumps with a bullet button in 82 sec so I was firing pretty fast .

Because of this semi new info I will do more torture testing on both the Del-Tons I own . I'm the type of guy that will shoot the gun (responsible keeping it wet etc ) till it fails to find out if it will work or not .I will not here of thing like this and then just baby my gun . A buddy and I are going out early next year to the desert to do some big time shooting . That weekend will be a 1,000rd 5.56 weekend for sure . I will give a detailed report of how it goes .

For now I have no problems with mine . I've got to say this though . My karma is so bad I cringe a little when I write stuff like this .You watch , because I said all this the next time I go shooting my gun will lay an egg .

Last edited by Metal god; November 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:44 AM   #22
HKGuns

Quote:
I wouldn't buy a Del-ton kit or rifle. I've read too many bad things about them. Might luck out and not have any problems but I'd rather be sure I was using quality parts.
Source please? I have nothing but good things to say about my Del-Ton and have read precious little disparaging about Del-Ton's.

The Del-Ton kit is a great, low cost option for you, it was for me OP. (Most of these assembly companies all source their parts from the same places.)
Old November 22, 2012, 12:34 PM   #23
Nathan

PSA: (11/22/12)

Upper - PSA 16" M4 $250

Lower - PSA $100 ($70 blem) + $20 transfer

Charging Handle - PSA $17

Bolt Carrier Group - ar15.com $120 These are becoming hard to find at the normal $120 - $140 price.

action - Non needed!!!

Lower completion kit(aka trigger group) - PSA $80

Barrel(incld in Upper)

Stocks(incld in Upper and Lower Kit)

$590

Now, this brings me to my next point. This $590 (no rear sight) is a super AR, but why not make it yours by building a mix of parts which Dick's or some other lowest common denominator sporting goods store will have for $800 on Black Friday?

IMO, if building, live a little. Spend $800, but get MOE furniture in green or FDE, get a middy upper, throw in a Strikefire red dot, get a rear sight, etc

My kid's AR is:
PSA Lightweight Mid Upper - $320
Magpul MOE handguard - $39
Core15 BCG - $124
SAA lower - $100
PSA MOE Lower Completion Kit - $125
2nd buttstock and A2 Grip - $20

$835 total, but it includes a second set of furniture. . .destined to become purple!
Old November 22, 2012, 12:41 PM   #24
Metal god

Nathan

That's funny , I sent the OP a PM saying that very thing . PSA has some fantastic deals for black Friday . I just placed an order my self

Old November 22, 2012, 02:53 PM   #25
Achilles11B

For those who already have a favored grip and trigger picked out, Armalite has a LPK without the grip and trigger for $54. Saves a bit of cash for parts you have already planned on not using.

Nathan, I agree with your mindset. I built an 18" SPR-esque AR knowing full well that I could have bought a rifle length upper already assembled and would have been good to go, but where's the fun in that? I feel a bit more satisfaction knowing that I picked out the parts and that the configuration isn't as common, it really is MY rifle.