The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 16, 2012, 10:35 AM   #26
Grant D

Great review...I love shooting my S&W PPK/S (have wood grips)
No bite, and accurate for it's intended range.

Have never handled,or shot a Bersa,but my wife and I both carry Ruger LCP'S
for concealed carry weapons when we want to carry a 380. So I don't think I'll need another model 380.
Old November 16, 2012, 11:33 AM   #27
pgdion

Great review, thanks so much for doing it. Just bought a Bersa a couple of months back and really like it a lot. Doesn't seem to be of the same quality level as the Walther like you mention but ... the proof is in the pudding and this thing has been reliable, pretty accurate, and it is a joy to shoot. The longer I have it, the more I like it. And their web sight rocks for service and parts. No complaints.
Old November 16, 2012, 03:15 PM   #28
weblance

I had been reading so many positive comments on the Bersa, I had to see for myself. Since I am a rimfire fan, I bought the Bersa Thunder 22 in nickel. This little pistol is supurb. Its accurate, reliable, and very nice in every way. I have always been intrigued by the .380 cartridge, but never warmed up to my Ruger LCP, so I bought a Bersa Thunder 380 in Matte Black. The Thunder 380 is a great handgun. Its very accurate, has digested everything I have fed it, and is simply one of the best bargains out there. I bought a couple of the 9 round magazines for the Thunder Deluxe(works in the standard Thunder), and a Crimson Trace LaserGrip. For someone who needs a value handgun, the Bersa Thunder is the way to go. With the Crimson Trace, and 10 rounds of 380, the Bersa is a great self defense gun. For the price of the mentioned Walther, I got both of my Bersa Thunder pistols. There are so many budget handguns that have issues either of quality, or performance, but the Bersa Thunder series suffers from none of these. You can spend a lot more money, and get a pistol with a nicer finish, but when it comes down to actual performance, the Bersa Thunder can go head to head with any of those, and come out equal with the best.
Old November 16, 2012, 03:25 PM   #29
leadchucker

Interesting revival of a five-year-old thread.
Old November 16, 2012, 04:57 PM   #30
Coltman 77

Quote:
Interesting revival of a five-year-old thread.
Agreed.

It's Christmas time not Easter. The resurrection season is many months away.

With all respect, a five year old thread should have been archived yrs ago.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old November 16, 2012, 08:18 PM   #31
RLWII

Very good review, regardless of age

What is amazing is that there was a informative discussion of PPK's without anyone mentioning Bond, James Bond. One of the things learned from this post is that Bond may have accepted his PPK if it was made by Smith & Wesson.
For what it's worth, I really like my Bersa and think it is one of the most under-rated weapons out there.
Old November 16, 2012, 10:01 PM   #32
bedbugbilly

Great review . . . thank you very much!

I've never shot a Walther or owned one. I did buy a used Bersa Thunder 380 CC with the intent of using it for my CC. The previous owner evidently had done some trigger work on it . the first DA shot was fine but when it then went in to SA after the first shot, it was way to "light" for my liking and I actually had a couple of unintentional "double taps". I traded it off but am seriously thinking of gettin a new Bersa. The one I had was a great shooter (with the exception of the too light trigger - not Bersa's fault). As you say, appearance wise, the Walther probably wins but performance wise, I loved the Bersa. It ate anything I fed it and it was a very comfortable pistol to shoot.

If I could find one fault (and it isn't limited to Bersa) . . . I wish that every manufacturer would include TWO magazines with a new weapon. At the time I purchased my used Bersa, I couldn't find a spare magazine. Perhaps they are more available now . . . but after much searching, I found one before I traded it off and the cost was around $35.

Thanks again for the great review! Very helpful!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 16, 2012, 10:53 PM   #33
Stringfellow

I, for one, enjoyed reading reading this thread.

Unless our friends at The Firing Line can't afford digital storage, I am not sure why they would archive this. Nor do I understand why anyone would have a problem about resurrecting an old thread.
Old November 17, 2012, 09:58 AM   #34
weblance

Quote:
I, for one, enjoyed reading reading this thread. Unless our friends at The Firing Line can't afford digital storage, I am not sure why they would archive this. Nor do I understand why anyone would have a problem about resurrecting an old thread
I agree 100%
Old November 17, 2012, 12:07 PM   #35
Stressfire

Yup, still a good review, age aside.

It's not like either gun is out of production or no longer available
Old November 17, 2012, 05:35 PM   #36
leadchucker

If you are looking at the Bersa Thunder, also consider the Bersa Firestorm. I have one, and I consider it an excellent "poor man's Walther PPK."
Old November 18, 2012, 01:09 AM   #37
Ignition Override

Despite being an old "thread", some of us are considering buying our first handgun: in .380 or 9x18.

It is a very valid topic, despite any Carbon 14 dating technology being used. Do servers run out of byte capacity?

leadchucker: Will the Bersa Thunder fit into (the appropriate) front pocket holster as easily as an actual Makarov or Polish P-64?
I will soon try out the Sig 232 and another friend's P-64. My decision might include a Bersa, but I don't know anybody in this area who has one.

Last edited by Ignition Override; November 18, 2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:32 AM   #38
Noreaster

About 18 years ago when we (police) stopped carrying J frames and went to 380 it was always the Walther. One Officer with an FFL started selling Bersa and it was a more reliable gun then the Walther. The Bersa would fire HP and the Walther had trouble. I've always recommended Bersa and a few friends bought them in the in last few years and they have been very happy with them. I'm glad to see that the Walther was reliable in your test. Good review.
Old November 19, 2012, 01:56 PM   #39
kahrguy

I understand why the bersa is the go to handgun. When my daughter desided to get a house pistol we went thru all mine and being very small built she wanted something with less recoil but reliable. She liked the bersa but the 380CC model. Lighter than the regular bersa thunder by several oz and with a 8 round mag it is also a bit shorter in lenght. Turned out to be a great pistol with zero issues with ammo and easy on the shooter and easy to mantain. Hard to understand after have one of these first the need for a costlier version even with the name walther on it.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:49 PM   #40
leadchucker

It just wouldn't look cool if James Bond pulled out a Bersa.
Old November 19, 2012, 03:10 PM   #41
kahrguy

How would they feel if it was glock!!! Walther most pay plenty to keep a walther inthe moves ??
Old November 19, 2012, 06:56 PM   #42
leadchucker

If you go see Skyfall, you'll see that all the bad guys use Glocks.
Old August 3, 2016, 12:38 AM   #43
Flight Medic

Came across this thread because I was wondering how the Thunder compared to the other .380s I was considering buying. With PPK's running $800+ and P238's running in the $600's, its making the Bersa (at $250) VERY appealing!!

Also, tried the Ruger LCP, but just found it too small for my hands.

(yes, I know this is an old thread, but still very relevant)

Last edited by Flight Medic; August 3, 2016 at 05:00 PM.
Old August 3, 2016, 09:10 AM   #44
Laz

I like Bersas. I am ambivalent about their ILS. I do not like their aluminum feed ramp, though many would say that is no cause for concern. I would prefer a steel feed ramp. I have a Smith-made PPK/S-1 that has been flawless and side by side is actually a tad smaller than the Bersa CC model, though considerably heavier. Anyone would be well-served with a Bersa.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old August 3, 2016, 11:09 AM   #45
BWM

I have had Bersa for years Mod 85 380 and thunder 9 MM this is my second 9 in the thunder both are full size
Old August 3, 2016, 01:21 PM   #46
PSP

If I were in the market for a new .380 I's also look at the Walther PK380, the various Kahr offerings, perhaps a used Beretta 84 or 85 or used Sig P230/232.

If I were to look at a Bersa, it would be the Thunder Plus, which feels much better in my hand,
Old August 3, 2016, 01:57 PM   #47
zincwarrior

If you're in the .380 market for Bersa/Walther sized:

1. The wife and a friend had Bersas. After about 1,000 rounds they both started breaking down with frequency, and then the Bersa stated jamming on the wife. As that was her CHL that was unacceptable and we moved on to something else.

2. Both Browning and Rick River now offer scaled down 1911 style .380s. If I were in the market for a Walther sized one, I'd seriously think consider them.

I will also note the Walther PPS (and newer PPS M2) is the same sized, and is a sweet little shooter.
Old August 3, 2016, 05:17 PM   #48
Flight Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincwarrior
I will also note the Walther PPS (and newer PPS M2) is the same sized, and is a sweet little shooter.
Good suggestion. I have a PPS M1 in 9mm, and its a great shooter (once the trigger grit smoothed out)...but its BUTT UGLY compared to the PPK. I guess I really wanted the PPK because its such an iconic pistol. I'm just struggling with the $800 price tag...which is why the Bersa caught my attention.
Old August 3, 2016, 05:44 PM   #49
amd6547

There have been a lot of Beretta 84 380's coming out of Israel as surplus for the last couple years. You can get a very nice Beretta for about $300. The 84F I got from Coles Distributing on gunbroker is utterly reliable, and displays incredible accuracy for a 380. 13rd mags, and an excellently shaped grip are nice, too.
Old August 4, 2016, 11:03 AM   #50
JERRYS.

I've owned a couple of Bersa 380s over the years. none of which had the built in lock. the bluing on them was superior to what I see on many of today's guns. the build quality was quite good as well.

I've owned one Walther ppk/s .380. I won't buy another. I would like the same gun in .32acp though.