The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Downeast

S&W Shield

Finally found one of these after months of trying. Showed up @ my LGS yesterday. Sold an LC9 to help finance the purchase. Hope to try it out today.

Old November 18, 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Trueno

Congrats, glad you were able to lay your hands on one. I work the gunshows in the Houston area and that is one of the most requested guns asked for, they sell out quickly as soon as the doors open. Appreciate any range report from the real world that you might be able to post up later.

thanks!

t
Old November 18, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Bigdave2424

What did you pay? Are lgs's upping the price because they are in demand?
Old November 18, 2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Dragline45

Quote:
What did you pay? Are lgs's upping the price because they are in demand?
Depends on what shop you go to. The shop I go to are pretty good people and they keep their pricing competitive regardless of supply. I have noticed the Shields in .40 are alot more available than the 9mm. Your best bet is to get on a list at your local gun shop and just wait it out.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:13 PM   #5
wstein

I have the .40 in the shield, and like a previous poster said, the 9's sell out before the .40's. Yesterday was at a gun show and was looking at a 9 to add to my 40, and it was sold out from under me. No great loss, I wasn't that serious about buying it.

My 40 shoots smoothly and very accurately at 7-10 yds (the range I practice the most). Recoil is there, but nothing to be afraid of. I can comfortably shoot 100-150 rds per range trip through my 40 without any issues.

It conceals very well in a owb holster with a untucked shirt over it.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old November 19, 2012, 03:00 AM   #6
Nakanokalronin

Congrats! It's a fantastic pistol. I sold mine after shooting it side by side with my XDS in 45acp. I really like the 45acp round and the XDS handles it much better than most. That being said, the Shield in 9mm is very tame and the ergos and concealability is at the very top.
Old November 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #7
Downeast

I paid full MSRP ($449) so I didn't get a bargain. I have seen where some people have bought these in the high 300's or low 400's. That said, I had shot one in a class I took a while back and felt very comfortable with it. I got it out yesterday and put about 100 rounds through it. I have large hands but I really like how it feels, although I prefer the 8 round mag, so I need to pick up another one of those. I could never warm up to the LC9 and I want to be able to have a higher degree of confidence in what will be my carry gun. I was more accurate with it right out of the box than I ever was with the LC9, although it seems to be shooting a little to the left so I gotta adjust for that. Also, even though it is slightly larger than the LC9, it feels more conceable as it seems to stay in tighter to my body, but maybe that is just me.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Kevin_d77

Just bought one for my wife since she has super small hands. Took it to the range and she absolutely loved it. She actually enjoyed going to the range and had a good time. Recoil is manageable and it's pretty accurate for the small barrel length. I'm sure I will get one too once I get my concealed permit. Excellent small pistol for the price!
Old November 19, 2012, 09:25 PM   #9
jfrey

I have 2 of them and they are great. Not quite as accurate as my FIL's PPS but still very much within reason for such a small pistol. Size, trigger, mags all out do the PPS. I normally swap out carry options between the Shields and a G19. I'm happy with 'em.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:27 PM   #10
Kevin_d77

She tried every gun I own, rented a PPS, 239 and Shield and it was a clear choice for her. Now she actually wants to go to the range with me. Win/Win!!!
Old November 20, 2012, 12:18 AM   #11
salvadore

I was looking for a dedicated carry gun when I bought the S&W Shield. Previously I carried a M-60 with Barami grips, a Cobra in a pocket and a LW Commander, whatever caught my fancy. Inow carry a M-60 with Barami grips, a Cobra in a pocket and a LW Commander....and a S&W Shield...rats.