The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 13, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
breakingcontact

M&P 22 pistol

What is the consensus on this pistol?

I know it's similar to the full size M&P, but is it a good stand alone 22LR pistol aside from being a training compliment to the full size?

Is it reliable, durable and accurate?
Old November 13, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2
vossman

Love mine. 5000+ rds through it and it shoots great. Mine likes the cheap Remington gold bulk bullets. Fits in my holster perfectly too. You will not be disappointed!
Old November 13, 2012, 06:08 PM   #3
stingray2100

My MP22 there are many but this one is mine

sorry about that title

my M&P22 work fine I have about 2000 round thru it...works fine..

it works with the CCI mini mags and the bulk Federal 550 box

I also tried the Winchester M-22 brand they work fine.

and finally I used Winchester wildcat ammo that is the crapy ammo that you ger 50rnd in a cardboard box for 2.99

yeah it is able to cycle that...you are good to go.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
PT-92

The last .22lr pistol I bought was the GSG 1911 and it's sweet!

That said, if I were looking for a .22lr pistol (non 1911 platform) I would pick-up a M&P 22 no questions asked. I have rented these at the range along with the Ruger SR22 and I like them both but tend to prefer the M&P design as the Ruger reminds me so much of the Walther P22. In fact, when I saw Ruger's SR22 @Shotshow I was originally disappointed as I thought they essentially copied to some degree the P222--I have since discovered they are quite different in almost every aspect absent appearence).

Thumbs up on the M&P!
Old November 13, 2012, 09:29 PM   #5
breakingcontact

Wow. I haven't read much negative about these pistols. I've heard complaints over accuracy but have also seen nice groups reported and on YouTube.

Pretty tempted to pick one up. Suppose I just have to get over how it feels compared to the Ruger Mark pistols.
Old November 13, 2012, 09:34 PM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
...is it a good stand alone 22LR pistol aside from being a training compliment to the full size?
IMHO yes, but with a few caveats.

I've shot one. It was very accurate and had a reasonably good trigger. The fact that it operates the same way as a centerfire M&P was also nice.

That said, IMHO the trigger wasn't as good as a Ruger Mk-series or a Buckmark, and the sights weren't as good either. Also, as with many .22LR M1911 lookalikes, the pistol is very light and doesn't "hang" on target like a Mk-series or Buckmark, or like the "Real Thing" for that matter. (The M&P22's unloaded weight is very close to an M&P9, 40, or 357, but it doesn't weight nearly as much when it's loaded, and IMHO the difference is noticeable under most conditions.)
Old November 13, 2012, 10:04 PM   #7
PT-92

I agree that the Mk-series and/or Buckmark models are cream of the crop.

Difference now that I see is that people are looking for the tactical model look/feel that mirrors as much as possible their full-size sister gun (M&P, 1911-22's etc.).

But I agree that if the the look and feel of the tactical guns are not a significant variable/factor, why not go with the pedigree of the lot? Also, the slides on the newer line of .22lr pistols tend to be either aluminum or zamak-like material which IMO is obviously of an inferior overall quality than the Mk-series or Buck mark line of .22lr pistols. There are, however, exceptions as in the case of the CZ .22 or the RIA 1911-22 as well as a few others.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:13 AM   #8
TennJed

Quote:
I agree that the Mk-series and/or Buckmark models are cream of the crop.

Difference now that I see is that people are looking for the tactical model look/feel that mirrors as much as possible their full-size sister gun (M&P, 1911-22's etc.).

But I agree that if the the look and feel of the tactical guns are not a significant variable/factor, why not go with the pedigree of the lot? Also, the slides on the newer line of .22lr pistols tend to be either aluminum or zamak-like material which IMO is obviously of an inferior overall quality than the Mk-series or Buck mark line of .22lr pistols. There are, however, exceptions as in the case of the CZ .22 or the RIA 1911-22 as well as a few others.
I have a Ruger MKIII and a Colt (umarex) 1911 in .22lr. The Ruger is a much higher quality gun and more accurate, but I find I shoot the 1911 a lot more, Ij is just more fun
Old November 14, 2012, 07:56 AM   #9
PT-92

Quote:
TennJed
...I have a Ruger MKIII and a Colt (umarex) 1911 in .22lr. The Ruger is a much higher quality gun and more accurate, but I find I shoot the 1911 a lot more, Ij is just more fun
TennJed,

If you are anything like me, you often get the seemingly "invariable" question from your shooting pals of "How's that Zamak slide holding up..."? So far, what's your impression regarding the Colt (Umarex) longevity...?

Like you, I have a 1911-22 (GSG) and it's an absolute hoot to shoot--actually given ammo expense nowadays it's a very good trainer for the .45acp 1911 in almost every way including size/weight/feel/look etc. I figure if I can get 10-15K downrange prior to needing any new parts the pistol has paid for itself if you consider the ammo savings (I guess for reloaders it's not an issue). Thus far, no problems after 5K downrange--Amazing how quickly one can shoot K's of .22lr without realizing it!
Old November 16, 2012, 08:09 AM   #10
breakingcontact

I like the feel of the pistol. Suppose I have a hard time going w it as it doesn't feel like a $350 gun.
Old November 17, 2012, 05:47 PM   #11
SRH78

I really like it and it will definitely be my next 22.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:20 PM   #12
Single Six

Looking real hard at getting one myself. Saw some today at the gun show, and was about to start a thread identical to this one until I spotted it. Glad to see positive reviews thus far.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:38 PM   #13
jasmith85

I really like my M&P 22. I have put everything from cheap bulk ammo to mini-mags and everything feeds without a problem. It is also very accurate and it even came with a threaded barrel. I don't know if all of them have that or not though.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:23 AM   #14
ponchsox

Love mine. I highly suggest running CCI mini mag through it for the first 500 rounds during the break in period. After that, it should feed any cheap ammo as long as it's not grossly underpowered. In fact, all I use is CCI now.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:15 AM   #15
Rmart30

Quote:
Love mine. I highly suggest running CCI mini mag through it for the first 500 rounds during the break in period. After that, it should feed any cheap ammo as long as it's not grossly underpowered. In fact, all I use is CCI now
X2 on that.. When i got mine had a few failures with the federal bulk that i keep stocked up on but after about 200 of the CCI's it runs the bulk all day long.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:05 AM   #16
GaryH

I had one for a couple of months back when I was shooting 1-2 times a week. I had no complaints about how well it functioned. I paid $245 for it, and sold it for $265 and 5 boxes of CCI Mini Mags. I had a lot of fun, made a little money and moved on.

I would recommend it because it functioned well, and was easy to strip and clean.

For me, my Buckmark Camper and my 22/45 are more accurate. If they made the MP22 in a 5+ inch version I think I'd like it better.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Single Six

This morning, rather impulsively, I decided that I really wanted the M&P .22. I hit up my savings account, and made the 120 mile [round trip] journey to the nearest gun show. I took my time, shopped around, and noted the usual huge disparity in prices for the same gun. The highest price for the M&P .22 I saw was $479.00, and the lowest was $325.00. Lots of other prices between the two. I bought the lowest-priced one in the building, picked up a spare mag for it while I was there, and headed for home while my marriage was still intact. Looking forward to shooting it.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:52 PM   #18
breakingcontact

$325 is a good price.

They're on "sale" at my local Academy for $380 and go on Buds for $350 I think.
Old November 19, 2012, 05:41 AM   #19
Single Six

Thanks, BC....I knew it was the cheapest in the show, anyhow. It pays to bring a pen and notepad to the gun shows; as big as this particular building is, it helps me keep track of what dealer had what price, and where he was located.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:00 AM   #20
Single Six

By the way, I just shot the new M&P I mentioned...it's great!