The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 8, 2012, 03:31 PM   #51
Japle

Just got back from the range. I shot the AutoMag at 50 yds and got 4-5" groups. Sorry, no targets to show. I pasted them and reused them for sighting in the Wichita 7mm pistol.

Shooting one-handed from the reclining "Creedmore" position is no fun. Damn gun nearly tears my thumb off every shot. I have kinda small hands and can't wrap my fingers around far enough to support the left side of the grip. When it fires, the gun twists up and to the right, slamming into the base of my thumb. I don't mind recoil at all, but actual pain takes the fun out of shooting. Ten rounds was enough for me. It's a nice gun to shoot with two hands. I had a good time blasting dirt clods on the berm from the standing position.

Still working up loads. A 180 gr JHP at 1565 fps is too light, but it's a very consistant (SD=7) and accurate load. I need to cram in more powder and get it up close to 1700. There's not much room left in the case. It's already a compressed load. The fireball is impressive!

Adding another half grain of powder to the 240 gr JHP load did almost nothing except screw up the Extreme Spread and Standard Deviation. The pressure's still pretty low. I'll try another half grain.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:45 PM   #52
spacecoast

3kgt2nv

I'm confused... your target is NOT a standard 50 yard Bullseye target, it looks to be reduced to a shorter yardage. Also, a standard 50 yard target only has the 8, 9, 10 and x rings in black.

Are you sure it isn't some kind of rifle target?

Old November 9, 2012, 03:05 PM   #53
3kgt2nv

its a 50 yrd target that is reduced for 25 yards. i still use them at 50 yards. not sure if its rifle or pistol. its a us match target for small caliber that i photocopy onto yellow paper.
Old November 10, 2012, 07:36 AM   #54
mrt949

JAPLE they are shooting IHMSA AT GENEVA FL .the second saturday of the month.Just up the road from titusville r&p .If you didn't know?

Last edited by mrt949; November 10, 2012 at 07:42 AM.